Has anyone ever gotten cash back from an airline?

airdale

We were scheduled for the Thanksgiving cruise on the Radiance which was changed to the Breeze out of Port Canaveral and we were flying into that port.  Carnival has canceled the Breeze cruise in November and I now have no intention to fly with any airline at all.  Delta Airline would only give us each an e-credit for a future flight, which I really am not interested in at all.  Has anyone ever been able to get the money returned to their credit card and NOT have to use the e-credit?  I was told by Delta that no one else could use the e-credits, so I can't sell them.  I sure would love to hear about a procedure to get our money refunded to our credit card.  I want to thank everyone for any help you can offer.  Don

16 minutes ago, airdale said:

We were scheduled for the Thanksgiving cruise on the Radiance which was changed to the Breeze out of Port Canaveral and we were flying into that port.  Carnival has canceled the Breeze cruise in November and I now have no intention to fly with any airline at all.  Delta Airline would only give us each an e-credit for a future flight, which I really am not interested in at all.  Has anyone ever been able to get the money returned to their credit card and NOT have to use the e-credit?  I was told by Delta that no one else could use the e-credits, so I can't sell them.  I sure would love to hear about a procedure to get our money refunded to our credit card.  I want to thank everyone for any help you can offer.  Don

Unless the tickets were categorized as refundable when you purchased them, or the airline actually cancels your flight, the best you will get is a credit/voucher for future travel.  

Unless the airline cancels the flight, you might be out of luck. Sometimes a medical condition might allow you to cancel the flight and get a refund. It used to be every route had the same price, no matter if you paid a year ahead or at the counter before the flight. Tickets were on paper and accepted by almost every airline. If you did not fly, you could use the ticket in the future, or ask for a refund. Refunds took about 30 days for the audit trail to make sure the airline was paid for the ticket.  Since all tickets were the same price, airlines competed with offering service. Then along came Jimmy Carter who turned in the largest turd of a presidency in American history. In addition to giving away the Panama Canal, he deregulated the airlines so now we have the yo-yo prices, the clown car seating, bad food, and virtually self-service. Now your contract makes refunds impossible, changes expensive, if you miss a flight, too bad, and the rest of your ticket is canceled. The contract is also one of adhesion, meaning you cannot sell it to someone else.  

I wish there was some compassion from the airlines for Covid19 related cancellations. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, airdale said:

I bought trip insurance through Delta for that trip. When it was cancelled, I called Delta and asked if I needed to call the Ins carrier to file a claim she said no I will just refund you now. I received a credit back to my card in 48 hours.

38 minutes ago, airdale said:

Where would I look to see if our flight was a refundable one?  Would it be on the original paperwork for our flights?  Thanks.  Don

You would know it if they were booked as refundable flights because they are outrageously expensive.

Be happy to get an e-credit. They don't even have to do that. It's a courtesy on their part. They are extending the expiration dates on them too.

As a general rule of thumb, if you cancel the flight, you will get credit/voucher, if the airline cancels the flight you can get refund.  That is why, with the presence of COVID, it is best to wait to the last minute before canceling to see if the airline will cancel.  Considering how much they have shrunk their schedules the chances are good that the original flight might get canceled and if they move you another flight, that can be considered to be enough of a change that you can request a refund.

Once you cancel it does not matter what the air line does with the original flight later on.

• Like 2

We had booked a flight on American to San Francisco for our (now) cancelled Alaska cruise.  The airlines had made several adjustments to boarding time for for the various legs of the round trip flight.  Fortunately, American has a policy that if any leg of the original booked flight changes by more than an hour, you are entitles to a refund.  We got back our entire fare.

Not sure if Delta has a similar policy or if any of your flight legs had changed, but might be worth it to check.

Good luck!

baf

A slightly different take on getting money returned from an airline in my experience.

I received notice that because I had booked a Business Class flight on one of several trans-Pacific carriers (mine was Air New Zealand), I could participate in a Class Action suit because of these carriers "fixing prices" for such service.  I mailed all of the appropriate documentation well within the time frame allowed.  That has been over a year ago, at least.  Not a word and certainly no check has been received.  

On 10/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, bafinegan said:

We had booked a flight on American to San Francisco for our (now) cancelled Alaska cruise.  The airlines had made several adjustments to boarding time for for the various legs of the round trip flight.  Fortunately, American has a policy that if any leg of the original booked flight changes by more than an hour, you are entitles to a refund.  We got back our entire fare.

Not sure if Delta has a similar policy or if any of your flight legs had changed, but might be worth it to check.

Good luck!

baf

Yes DL does...If any change of flight happens DL gives you the option to decline and get a full refund to the credit card used.

I just recently went through the same thing also but with Lufthansa for a trip I had planned for November....full refund back to my credit card in an amazing 8 days...very impressed.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 6:23 PM, Moviela said:

I wish there was some compassion from the airlines for Covid19 related cancellations. 

wishful thinking,  Worst part is i purchased ticket for my extended family and of course the darn airline issues a voucher in each persons name individually, some of who will never ever fly again.  CHEATED by the Airlines for over 8k.  there ought to be a federal law like they have in Europe.  Least they could do is refund the vouchers all to the one who payed and let them use it however they want.  but then the same can be said for the cruise lines on FCC, "It should alway go back to the same person who PAID, they know who that is.

2 hours ago, cruisegus said:

wishful thinking,  Worst part is i purchased ticket for my extended family and of course the darn airline issues a voucher in each persons name individually, some of who will never ever fly again.  CHEATED by the Airlines for over 8k.  there ought to be a federal law like they have in Europe.  Least they could do is refund the vouchers all to the one who payed and let them use it however they want.  but then the same can be said for the cruise lines on FCC, "It should alway go back to the same person who PAID, they know who that is.

A couple of points:

Once you buy a ticket, that ticket is the property of the individual named on the ticket.  Not who paid for it.  Simple business practice that has been in place for decades.  The airline doesn't care who pays, just who flies.  Note too that airline FF miles go to the traveler, not the payer.

So your CHEATED comment is out of order.

As for your Europe question, a number of Euro airlines have been quite "tardy" in processing refunds or vouchers, in spite of any European law.  So don't use that as another part of your rant.

When you buy a ticket, you are subject to the contract of carriage.  Check it out sometime and get a legal grounding first.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, Ashland said:

Yes DL does...If any change of flight happens DL gives you the option to decline and get a full refund to the credit card used.

Not "any change".  DL, and all other carriers, have their own standard for what triggers the option for a cash refund.  A five minute change won't trigger.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not "any change".  DL, and all other carriers, have their own standard for what triggers the option for a cash refund.  A five minute change won't trigger.

Sorry you felt it necessary to hone in on my keyword of "any"...Just a general term that has come into play with my many DL flight changes.

I don't think anyone would consider a 5 min change would justify a full refund but DL has always been very accommodating to me with changes and refunds.

Thanks for your experienced input though always appreciated.

Edited by Ashland

19 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

A couple of points:

Once you buy a ticket, that ticket is the property of the individual named on the ticket.  Not who paid for it.  Simple business practice that has been in place for decades.  The airline doesn't care who pays, just who flies.  Note too that airline FF miles go to the traveler, not the payer.

So your CHEATED comment is out of order.

As for your Europe question, a number of Euro airlines have been quite "tardy" in processing refunds or vouchers, in spite of any European law.  So don't use that as another part of your rant.

When you buy a ticket, you are subject to the contract of carriage.  Check it out sometime and get a legal grounding first.

Obvious, at least to me from your handle, you are an airline cheer leader (JMHO)

I do know what the airlines policies are, I’m not stupid.  Never the less the fact that the airline and for that matter the cruise lines have a policy that not only smacks of unethical but is also iodic, does not make my feeling, ie “CHEATED” any less valid as you imply.

To be honest Covid has brought to light the fact that we need a federal law that changes those policies.  I understand the need at some point in time to know who will actually be flying or cruising, but they really don’t need that information 6 or 3 months in advance, 7 to 10 days should be more than enough time to check the government security systems.

Really when I buy seat at a concert or a movie or even a number of other venues it really does not mater who occupies that seat and it really shouldn’t on an airline or cruise up until a reasonable time before the flight or cruise.  It is just as bad as the stupid policy that once the seat is purchased, I cant change the name of who occupies it, that is just absurd.

Done with my complaints, guess I will just lobby a law maker for changes.

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

Obvious, at least to me from your handle, you are an airline cheer leader (JMHO)

I do know what the airlines policies are, I’m not stupid.  Never the less the fact that the airline and for that matter the cruise lines have a policy that not only smacks of unethical but is also iodic, does not make my feeling, ie “CHEATED” any less valid as you imply.

To be honest Covid has brought to light the fact that we need a federal law that changes those policies.  I understand the need at some point in time to know who will actually be flying or cruising, but they really don’t need that information 6 or 3 months in advance, 7 to 10 days should be more than enough time to check the government security systems.

Really when I buy seat at a concert or a movie or even a number of other venues it really does not mater who occupies that seat and it really shouldn’t on an airline or cruise up until a reasonable time before the flight or cruise.  It is just as bad as the stupid policy that once the seat is purchased, I cant change the name of who occupies it, that is just absurd.

As the one who is also the "payer" I like your thinking !! :classic_biggrin:

Not a cheerleader....just someone who knows how the industry works.  And who gives it straight.

You know the policies, but because they aren't what YOU want them to be, it must be CHEATING. Along with unethical and idiotic.  I'll let the readers decide on this one.

Ah, the old "theater or ballpark" argument.  For knowing airline policies and practices, the area of revenue management or yield management must have slipped off your radar.  Airlines are different industries than theaters, and operate under different revenue models.  Of course, this isn't what YOU would want them to do -- perhaps you should discuss with the airlines how your method would work better for them.

If you really wanted to have the ability to get a full cash refund, or to change the name on a ticket, you could have done so.  It's called a full-fare refundable ticket.  But you probably didn't want to pay for that privilege.

Another person wanting government to solve THEIR "problems".  Trust me -- if your ideas became law, airline prices would soar through the roof.  And then, I suspect, you might then be complaining that it costs too much.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2020 at 11:40 PM, FlyerTalker said:

A couple of points:

Once you buy a ticket, that ticket is the property of the individual named on the ticket.  Not who paid for it.  Simple business practice that has been in place for decades.  The airline doesn't care who pays, just who flies. 

Is that 100% true.  UA issue a voucher to me for two flights one for wife and self.  I could use the entire amount on one ticket only for self.  Did it.  An anomaly?

Just had Austrian cancel two flights on my recently. One booked direct and one through UA.  Both refunds were prompt after I requested them in under a week back to my credits cards (Chase UA and Amex)

Airlines do not generally issue a cash refund except when they (the airline) cancels a flight without having a reasonable alternative.   One work around for cruisers is to book your air through the cruise line.  Many (not all) of the lines (i.e. Princess, HAL, Seabourn, etc) offer "flex air" deals that generally allow cancellation up to about 45 days prior to a cruise.  And if the cruise is cancelled by the cruise line within those 45 days the cruise line will usually refund your air.

We have been successful in getting cash refunds from both United and American on flights that the airline cancelled.  Czech Airlines recently cancelled a flight we had from Paris to Prague and then gave us a runaround when we insisted on a refund.  In this case, although the EU regulations require the airline to refund money they jerked us around.  We quickly filed a dispute with our credit card company who refunded our money within a week.

Hank

• 1 month later...

I know of one person who was successful in getting refunds from Air Canada and Wesjet.

They acted quickly.  After each of those airlines cancelled flights they did a credit card challenge through TD Visa.  They had their money credited back in 7 days.  No problem whatsoever.   

They realized the airlines, like the cruise lines, would be dragging their feet and attempting to pawn customers off with credits, offers, etc.   They decided to go on the offensive early to secure cash refunds....and it worked for them.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I know of one person who was successful in getting refunds from Air Canada and Wesjet.

They acted quickly.  After each of those airlines cancelled flights they did a credit card challenge through TD Visa. 

And there's a significant factor that you must remember.  It  can be much different when the AIRLINE cancels your flights as opposed to the passenger cancelling their ticket.

We got refunds quickly without issue from British airways when they cancelled.   Agree that the issue is who cancels.   But some airlines have dragged their feet,  and that’s when the chargeback on credit card is the way to go.  Air passenger rights in Canada has gone to bat for many and is actively trying to improve that situation. 

But If you cancel,  you need to have insurance.  I am astounded by the number of people who risk five figures without insurance.   We have for the most part been treated very fairly by the airlines.  

i had to go the credit card chargeback process to get my refund for a flight canceled by Air Canada. Glad i didn't wait for Air Canada to do the right thing.  A few days after getting my refund from the credit card company i got an email from Air Canada rejecting my claim for a refund.   Guess they were wrong.