Do not miss suggestions

woopmonkey

My husband and I are cruising in our first Haven suite in January on the Joy, but this is only our second time on NCL (last one was only 3 days for the kiddo's birthday).   What are some do-not-miss foods or drinks to try while we're aboard?  What are the best lounges/bars?

definitely the teppanyaki, and moderno if there is one on your ship. if youre in the haven and its a ship with its own bar and restaurant, almost any drink is fine, i prefer chivas on the rocks, so sip and enjoy. I do agree with the post on sugarcane mojito bar.

• Like 1

The bar in the Haven often has hard-to-find items that are not in some of the regular bars. Ask your bartender. The Haven bartender is always superb! 

We ate all our meals in the Haven Restaurant (lunch and breakfast) and then tried out all the specialty restaurants. Our favorites were Ocean Blue and Le Bistro. But they were all terrific!

Bon Voyage!

• Like 2

I haven't been on the Joy, but we have sailed in the Haven on the Escape, Epic, Getaway and Bliss. The bartenders in the Haven are the Cream of the Crop. Have them make you a "Smokey Old Fashioned". It's quite a show. You will love the Haven.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, woopmonkey said:

My husband and I are cruising in our first Haven suite in January on the Joy, but this is only our second time on NCL (last one was only 3 days for the kiddo's birthday).   What are some do-not-miss foods or drinks to try while we're aboard?  What are the best lounges/bars?

The link below is from our live post from the Joy. give you an idea on the happenings on the ship. 

We like Food Republic small group plates and do not like Q BBQ. Special drink... the Wasabi at Teppanyaki. 

• Like 1

Find the martini bar, and they'll make any variety you want. I ended up sipping lots of cherry lemon drops after I heard someone else ask for one. Regular lemon drop but with maraschino cherry juice added to cut down on the tart.

I'm also partial to the frozen slushie drinks near the pool bars, miami vice is a mix of strawberry daquari, pina colada and blue hawaiian in a pretty red/white/blue layer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Find the martini bar, and they'll make any variety you want. I ended up sipping lots of cherry lemon drops after I heard someone else ask for one. Regular lemon drop but with maraschino cherry juice added to cut down on the tart.

I'm also partial to the frozen slushie drinks near the pool bars, miami vice is a mix of strawberry daquari, pina colada and blue hawaiian in a pretty red/white/blue layer.

yummy that drink sounds delicious!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

yummy that drink sounds delicious!  

My wife have presented me with a barmen bible for my birthday. Now we do cocktails like every weekend. You should try with a simple cocktail, get some cuantro and add some tonic with ice. A perfect way to end your day.. or maybe even start your day depending on what you are doing lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Haven restaurant is the best steaks on the ship.   But, skip the Haven restaurant the very first night.   Everyone in the Haven wants to dine there the first night, its too busy.    Go there second night instead,  that crowd moves on to other specialty dining and you'll have the Haven restaurant and the attention of the servers.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Roger88 said:

My wife have presented me with a barmen bible for my birthday. Now we do cocktails like every weekend. You should try with a simple cocktail, get some cuantro and add some tonic with ice. A perfect way to end your day.. or maybe even start your day depending on what you are doing lol 

I might have to get a copy and see how far we can work our way through it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Falckon said:

I haven't been on the Joy, but we have sailed in the Haven on the Escape, Epic, Getaway and Bliss. The bartenders in the Haven are the Cream of the Crop. Have them make you a "Smokey Old Fashioned". It's quite a show. You will love the Haven.

I am a fan of Old Fashioned's but it is hard to find someone to make it correctly, trying one Smokey sounds right up my alley.

• Like 1