Costa Maya Excursion

Hotdog 52

I was looking for an excursion for our Feb. cruise on the Adventure of  the Seas.  One of the excursions is a Port excursion.  Seams like if they can offer a Port excursion you should be able to get off the ship and walk around the port area on your own.  Am I reading this wrong, check it out.

15 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

I was looking for an excursion for our Feb. cruise on the Adventure of  the Seas.  One of the excursions is a Port excursion.  Seams like if they can offer a Port excursion you should be able to get off the ship and walk around the port area on your own.  Am I reading this wrong, check it out.

What they are offering now has no relation to what will actually be offered once sailing resumes. They have not updated the excursions to reflect the new protocols. 

• Like 1

We are also on the Adventure in Feb. From what I am reading no one will be allowed off the ship unless on an RCG tour. We will plan on not leaving ship if that is the case.

Every cruise we had planned in 2020 was cancelled.  Booked Adventure as a new start for 2021. 

Hope we sail, last thing we need is another FCC.

52 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

We are also on the Adventure in Feb. From what I am reading no one will be allowed off the ship unless on an RCG tour. We will plan on not leaving ship if that is the case.

Every cruise we had planned in 2020 was cancelled.  Booked Adventure as a new start for 2021. 

Hope we sail, last thing we need is another FCC.

We will see also.  Hope we sail.  We may just stay on the ship also, cant see spending $45 to $50 per person just to walk in the port area.

10 hours ago, Hotdog 52 said:

We will see also.  Hope we sail.  We may just stay on the ship also, cant see spending $45 to $50 per person just to walk in the port area.

They are not going to charge to walk around the port.   

Which is basically a cruiseline built area. 

13 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

They are not going to charge to walk around the port.   

Which is basically a cruiseline built area. 

The PP is referring to the cruise line port pass which some in the past have considered good value since it includes it includes entrance to some paid activities and three included drinks, which would otherwise be at inflated port prices.

Edited by c-leg5

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

The PP is referring to the cruise line port pass which some in the past have considered good value since it includes it includes entrance to some paid activities and three included drinks, which would otherwise be at inflated port prices.

I just checked it out.

It is not a charge to get off the ship and walk around the port.

They are bundling  3 port activities into one price and throwing in a few drinks.

29 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I just checked it out.

They are bundling  3 port activities into one price and throwing in a few 

I have it too for that port. 43.99 port pass.

20201020_193854569.jpeg

20201020_194059725.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's not Royal

It must be new since I've been there before. I dont remember birds and swinging bridges I could walk to. The town was little bit and lots of empty land around the port.

3 mixed drinks and birds and chocolate and tequila and swinging bridges with a view of the port and sitting in a pool lounger.. I'm actually thinking it might be a good deal. Depends on if tequila drinks.

Must have been built up since I've been there. Says limited capacity, and something about selling out it's gone. 

If you guys go in February be sure to come back and tell us what drinks and all p,ease. I'm on liberty end of april, but does sound kinda good to me. I'd love to feed the birds.

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

20201020_193854569.jpeg

20201020_194059725.jpeg

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

I just checked it out.

They are bundling  3 port activities into one price and throwing in a few drinks.

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

20201020_193854569.jpeg

20201020_194059725.jpeg

That’s the one!

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That’s the one!

I just answered my own question, lists the drinks. Margarita, pina colada (is this a typo?  I'm allergic to coconut, so its out), daiquiri or soda or water. .. margarita it is.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. Hmmm. 

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It must be new since I've been there before. I dont remember birds and swinging bridges I could walk to. The town was little bit and lots of empty land around the port.

3 mixed drinks and birds and chocolate and tequila and swinging bridges with a view of the port and sitting in a pool lounger.. I'm actually thinking it might be a good deal. Depends on if tequila drinks.

Must have been built up since I've been there. Says limited capacity, and something about selling out it's gone. 

If you guys go in February be sure to come back and tell us what drinks and all p,ease. I'm on liberty end of april, but does sound kinda good to me. I'd love to feed the birds.

It's not new.  I did it a few years ago.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's not new.  I did it a few years ago.

Agree with next poster was it worth it?

Yes havent been on rcl now in at least 6 years, lots of stuff new to me. Last time I was there went into that little town about 2 miles away to get wifi lol and not one person I found spoke any english.

Not surprised but interesting the area has been built up.

Was it worth the price? how were the walls and birds?

On 10/20/2020 at 7:07 AM, Hotdog 52 said:

Just looked at the excursions again and guess what.  The excursion that was listed as a Port excursion is now listed as a Port Pass.  Guess they  updated the site and lowered the price to 43.99.

49 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

Just looked at the excursions again and guess what.  The excursion that was listed as a Port excursion is now listed as a Port Pass.  Guess they  updated the site and lowered the price to 43.99.

It has been called the port pass for a long time - not sure why it was different on yours. It used  to Include entrance to four venues and two drinks But one closed so they added another drink!

Not very good value for kids so not  much use for families at those prices. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Agree with next poster was it worth it?

Yes havent been on rcl now in at least 6 years, lots of stuff new to me. Last time I was there went into that little town about 2 miles away to get wifi lol and not one person I found spoke any english.

Not surprised but interesting the area has been built up.

Was it worth the price? how were the walls and birds?

If you are interested  in a photo intensive review check out this one from Mitsugirly talking about the changes - START AT POST #428

You can see the bird walks and bridges.

The main port structure was rebuilt after the hurricane (2007?) but appears to have been revamped around 2015(?).

We also travel a lot from Galveston and I know  there  was a big gap with no Royal ships from Galveston to  Costa Maya. It has been quite tastefully renovated but recent problems have included lengthening the pier for an extra ship. This resulted in the trolley not running much creating problems for people with mobility problems as it is a long pier and the port area seems much more crowded than it used to be.  

it is also a long walk to get out of the port since many of the old exits have been closed or their use discouraged! 

Edited by c-leg5

Not sure about the port pass, but there is quite a bit to do right at the port.  Lots of shops, restaurants, bars, pools with swim up bars, dolphin swim, birds, elevated walkway, swinging pole,...even Mexican style wrestling.  Better than many other ports if you don't leave the port area.  If you're willing/allowed to leave the port area, Maya Chan Beach Club is popular with many people here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not sure about the port pass, but there is quite a bit to do right at the port.  Lots of shops, restaurants, bars, pools with swim up bars, dolphin swim, birds, elevated walkway, swinging pole,...even Mexican style wrestling.  Better than many other ports if you don't leave the port area.  If you're willing/allowed to leave the port area, Maya Chan Beach Club is popular with many people here.

That's assuming by april we dont have to pay for a excursion to leave the ship. 

Otherwise I would skip it myself. 

OP will be there in February and likely in same situation regarding leaving ship.

Edited by firefly333

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If you are interested  in a photo intensive review check out this one from Mitsugirly talking about the changes - START AT POST #428

You can see the bird walks and bridges.

The main port structure was rebuilt after the hurricane (2007?) but appears to have been revamped around 2015(?).

We also travel a lot from Galveston and I know  there  was a big gap with no Royal ships from Galveston to  Costa Maya. It has been quite tastefully renovated but recent problems have included lengthening the pier for an extra ship. This resulted in the trolley not running much creating problems for people with mobility problems as it is a long pier and the port area seems much more crowded than it used to be.  

it is also a long walk to get out of the port since many of the old exits have been closed or their use discouraged! 

I swear that pier feels like it is a mile long! Quite a long walk to get to the port shopping area. Last time we used one of those men pedaling a carriage to get back to the ship, I think we tipped him $5.00. That ride back was well worth $5.00.