Have you ever been under- whelmed by a place that is great ,mine was Paris .How about you.

dolittle

For me, the Caribbean is always disappointing.  We sail there because it's convenient and we want to sail, but I would never choose any island there for a destination.

Since Pisa was mentioned above, I have to say that it was a place that really defined "magical" to me.  I spent the day just looking at the Tower and surrounding buildings.  Maybe because I have one leg shorter than the other, I felt an emotional connection to that leaning tower that has stood for so long.  The day was rainy, and everything was just so beautiful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Rio de Janeiro.  Difficult and time-consuming to get around, generally unsanitary and unsafe, even in the more affluent areas.

As an afterthought..... Barcelona is great but stay clear of that cablecar sightseeing gizmo that runs above a portion of the city!

We love Barcelona too .We did that old cable car it was scary .

San Francisco - Just a big city. The only thing we really like is Muir Woods.

Seattle - I don't get it

Caribbean

Funny people mention NYC. Versus SF and STL, my wife and I would gladly return to NYC when things get better. We greatly enjoy the city, the food, the sights. Loved seeing my families immigration paperwork at Ellis Island.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think this identifies how someone’s general impression of a place can be formed.  If an icon - such as NYC’s Times Square - hits you precisely the wrong way, your over-all memory can be impacted.  I was born in and spent much of my life in NYC - love the place -especially Central Park - but hate Times Square.  The Eiffel Tower turned me off as an over-the-top cliche of Paris, as was Rome’s Collisseum — the rest of both cities struck me as magical.  I think there are some trigger aspects in all places which color memories one way or the other.

So true.  I would like to go back one day and see more.  Central Park would definitely be on my list.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Since Pisa was mentioned above, I have to say that it was a place that really defined "magical" to me.  I spent the day just looking at the Tower and surrounding buildings.  Maybe because I have one leg shorter than the other, I felt an emotional connection to that leaning tower that has stood for so long.  The day was rainy, and everything was just so beautiful.

Pisa always seems to be a very polarizing place -- you either love it or don't.

As a kid I was an odd duck. On a trip to Italy when I was 14, we were in Florence for several days.  My parents took me to the Uffizi gallery one afternoon -- they practically had to drag me out. The next day my mom had planned for us to go to Pisa. I didn't want to go -- wanted to stay in Florence and go back to the Uffizi, but they insisted. We climbed the tower but I have to say there was no joy sparked and I actually still feel resentment about not being able to do what I wanted to do...

A couple of years ago it was my turn to take my son to Florence. He of course wanted to go to Pisa. He climbed the tower and I know he really enjoyed the experience. He could not care less about going to the Uffizi...  Go figure.

Also -- I may be unduly influenced by knowing how very many leaning towers there are in Italy. The medieval and early Renaissance architects were not always as skilled as their ancient Roman predecessors in building...

Here's an article that lists 10 of them that are worth seeing:   http://slowitaly.yourguidetoitaly.com/2014/10/leaning-towers-of-italy/#:~:text=Italy counts at least 10,%2C Caorle%2C Burano and Rome.

• Like 2

Not a city, but an area.  This past winter we decided to tour Mexico on our own.  We flew to Cancun on a o/w flight.   After a few weeks our next stop was going to be Huatulco.  We expected to be there for a week, perhaps two, based on what we had read and heard.  I was a place we thought we would love and perhaps return to.  Such was not the case.  We liked it, but only three days worth...not two weeks.

Fortunately we only book a few days in advance.  After two days, we stayed for another two, then bussed up to P. Escondido.  Booked for two days, stayed for eight.   Same for Acapulco.  We did not think it would be so great.  But it was!  We found it safe.  Our hotel was on the ocean with a view.  Stayed for a week.

This is exactly why we never book very far in advance or commit ourselves for extended stays.  This has worked out well for us over the past eight years of post retirement travel.

We love Paris.  Same for Rome and London.   Our best times have been walking around on our own in various neighbourhoods without rushing about to visit specific sights.  

Edited by iancal

16 hours ago, dolittle said:

We have been lucky enough to visit many cities in Europe and loved every minute of it. So when  we got off the ship for a two night stay(the ship was staying over night)  in Paris I was  ready for one of the worlds  greatest cities.It was beautiful and we walked the river from the faux statue of liberty to Notre Dame . We stayed out late and got up early to be first in line for the eiffel  tower and had another nice fall day in Paris. The people were nice there were  not to many crowds . We liked it BUT I don't know why it just did not move me like other cities in Europe . I almost felt guilty but that is silly something either moves you or it does not. Has this ever happened to you and  where was it . Be honest I think this has happened to most of us. B.T.W. I did love the tower I find most things that are cliches like it is ,are not worth it . The tower was it was great. 

Montreal.We were there in 1969.We stayed at the beautiful Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

In my experience, most of the world's large port cities are not some of the best places to visit, although some have improved dramatically over the past 45 yrs.

Back in the 70's, very few of the large port cities were overly safe places to visit, with two of the worst being London and Sydney. Having joined my first ship in London's docklands and docked in Pyrmont Docks in Sydney, I have many days of experience in these areas. Both were rather disreputable areas, but have experienced urban renewal. Both cities, including the docklands, are now amazing places to visit, although in London, I prefer Greenwich to Tilbury Docks. Another example was Southampton in the 70's, where the docks area wasn't the best, but a short drive to Hamble or the New Forest provided a significant contrast.

For major cruise ports around N/America, that disappoint, I would include almost all of the major port cities - Vancouver, Seattle, San Pedro, Miami, NYC and Honolulu. However, once you get outside the city, each of those cities have many amazing places to visit. Even though we reside in Metro Vancouver, we avoid the downtown core where cruise ships dock, it is the same when we visit Seattle, L/A and Hawaii.

When travelling outside N/America, we travel to see the differences and experience the sights and cultures. Therefore, we haven't really visited anywhere that hasn't met those criteria and been a significant disappointment. Especially when port calls are a single day, some visits are better than others, but that is mainly due to the tour and/or vendor we selected, not so much with the location.

For me, NYC is the most disappointing. I have been quite a few times, mostly many years ago when Times Square was pretty seedy. Recently I had the occasion to be there and as soon as I got out of the cab I regretted it. The initial sounds and smells brought the past's memories flooding back. I couldn't wait to leave. On the other hand i love Barcelona, Rome and Venice.

Helsinki. Other ports on our Baltic cruise were fantastic. St. Petersburg is just wonderful. Talinn is a gem. We really enjoyed Oslo. The only problem with Stockholm was there was too much to do in the time we were there. But, really there was not much to do in Helsinki.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Helsinki. Other ports on our Baltic cruise were fantastic. St. Petersburg is just wonderful. Talinn is a gem. We really enjoyed Oslo. The only problem with Stockholm was there was too much to do in the time we were there. But, really there was not much to do in Helsinki.

Loved all the stops on Baltic cruise but Helsinki is kind of drab and colorless .I know it is the most modern of all the Baltic capitals .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Rome for me.  I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't what I experienced.  Nothing bad happened, there was lots to see, but to borrow from another poster, it just didn't tug at my heartstrings.

Loved Barcelona and NYC--funny how different we all are when it comes to travel.

Agree underwhelmed by Rome, at the Trevi fountain- totally shoehorned in between buildings, I asked the wife if she wanted to throw a coin in , meaning you will return to Rome, she said no, I don't want to come back.

I would exempt the Vatican City from this 

Another miss was Niagara Falls, we found it tacky and commercial, the Maid of the Mist boat just gets you wet. Hard to see anything in the water and packed out ships. Better just to stand in the shower in a poncho and get your camera wet.

Much preferred the Montmourcy Falls near Quebec in a more natural surroundings. Much of the town of Niagara is just a funfair/ shopping mall.

38 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Another miss was Niagara Falls, we found it tacky and commercial, the Maid of the Mist boat just gets you wet. Hard to see anything in the water and packed out ships. Better just to stand in the shower in a poncho and get your camera wet.

Much preferred the Montmourcy Falls near Quebec in a more natural surroundings. Much of the town of Niagara is just a funfair/ shopping mall.

The tackyness and commercial part of N.F. goes back a long way it is one of the reason's are National Parks got it right. Believe it or not it use to be worse .

Edited by dolittle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dolittle said:

The tackyness and commercial part of N.F. goes back a long way it is one of the reason's are National Parks got it right. Believe it or not it use to be worse .

I fail to see the connection between Niagara Falls and how US National Parks ‘got it right’.

9 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We were underwhelmed when we visited Aruba.

Eagle Beach is often rated as one on the best beaches in the world which I defenitely disagree with. I have been on many better beaches even in Sweden!

I've been to Aruba 2 or 3 times and I just don't get it.  People rave about it.  It's flat, dry, full of cacti, and there's garbage all over the place.

• Like 1

Jamaica:  all ports have been disappointing because of many of their citizens with whom I have encountered.  Really sad, because the island is so beautiful and has so much to offer to a cruise guest.  

Pisa was a disappointment.  Surely glad to see the Leaning Tower, but--that's it.  The Cathedral was not open and nothing else to visit.  I needed a visit to the loo while I was there and the Port-a-Potties were the worst, and I mean the worst, I have ever experienced anywhere in the world.  

St. Petersburg was a disappointment because of the tours that we took had guides whose English were poor.  And, the crowds! 

All of the ports visited in Argentina:  Tour guides were great.  Citizens met in the gift shops were not.  Currency issues and ridiculously high postage rates to mail a post card to the United States clouded my opinion.  Did not feel safe in Buenos Aires even when I was with a tour group.  And, in departing the country on a Delta flight that evening, the extremely unfriendly way they handled guests that had hours to wait before we could even check in at the Delta counter sealed my opinion of Argentina. 

Luxor and the Valley of the Kings; the journey to that area from the port of Safaga:  Armed soldiers in jeeps in front, behind, and along the side of our bus caravan to/from Luxor.  Armed soldiers at the tourist sites.  Not something that I will experience again.  

A long time ago, I was searching for an Atlantic coast beach vacation destination not far from where I live for a vacation.  Ocean City, Maryland, Myrtle Beach, the resort area of the State of Delaware, Virginia Beach were the candidates.  Only Virginia Beach met my expectations.  The beach, the view (with sights of shipping entering and departing from Hampton Roads), the tourist opportunities (which, at that time, included opportunities for Naval ship visits at the Norfolk Naval Base as well as a tour of the Oceania Naval Air Station), the dining available, and the friendliness of the citizens won the "competition".  Have I been disappointed in choosing that location over the years?  Yes, but that disappointment was due to my choice of some beachfront hotels that did not meet my expectations for a variety of reasons including accommodations that were not properly maintained and were clean.  I finally found a hotel that was perfect.  Well priced, well located, pleasant and helpful staff.  What has happened to that hotel?  It has been demolished for whatever is next for that spot.  

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Agree underwhelmed by Rome, at the Trevi fountain- totally shoehorned in between buildings, I asked the wife if she wanted to throw a coin in , meaning you will return to Rome, she said no, I don't want to come back.

I would exempt the Vatican City from this 

...and I love Rome so much that I am planning to spend part of each year there when I retire. :classic_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, it seems more like Los Angeles.  😄

Los Angeles with more palm trees and humidity is what I say.  Or, Tokyo with a beach.  Usually, I was only on Oahu to change planes to go to one of the other islands.  I stayed there once, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, because I had received a very good rate from the new General Manager when she and her dog stayed at my hotel for the dog's quarantine prior to moving.  Not very impressed with Honolulu, except for Marukame Udon House and Diamond Head Market (for the wonderful cream cheese scones!!!).

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

San Francisco, California USA

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

San Francisco has been gradually losing its special attractiveness ever since Spade and Archer went out of business.  

I worked in SF many years.  Not gradually losing.  It has lost any attractiveness.   Only reason I visited it after I retired is because it was a cruise stop.  haha.