They're serious about shore excursions

Ombud

On 10/21/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ombud said:

I don't shop but did book an excursion to a winery (yes we have them but we don't make tawny port)

If i buy a bottle of that, can i take it onboard with me (paying corkage) or will it be confiscated?

If you are on a cruise ship excursion to a winery you are allowed to bring back a bottle onto the cruise ship without paying corkage on that bottle.

15 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

If you are on a cruise ship excursion to a winery you are allowed to bring back a bottle onto the cruise ship without paying corkage on that bottle.

Screenshot_20201024-091031_Chrome.thumb.jpg.20cb8ddead8b2ac3a282026a8f3f335d.jpg

38 minutes ago, nini said:

caribill and mevs904-

I respectfully appreciate your comments and explanations.

And now sarcastically, I was unaware that this virus is so intelligent

that it will only infect the Princess ship Group A touring the Vatican and

not Group B who has booked a private tour.

You were being sarcastic but the difference is the Princess Group A is going to areas that were agreed upon by Princess, the tour leader and probably locaal authoriites to be cleaned prior to the group arrival, and to have no other people there whilst the group is there. They will be in a "bubble", no wandering off, shopping on their own, mingling with the locals, etc.

Group B, private tour, has no such agreements, they may mix and mingle at leisure.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, nini said:

caribill and mevs904-

I respectfully appreciate your comments and explanations.

And now sarcastically, I was unaware that this virus is so intelligent

that it will only infect the Princess ship Group A touring the Vatican and

not Group B who has booked a private tour.

You are correct, the virus cannot tell the difference between Group A and Group B.

But Princess will know that Group A company will have properly sanitized their vehicles, properly tested their drivers and guides, properly supplied PPE for their drivers and guides as needed and designed the tour for no interaction with other local people during the tour.  Thus the opportunity for group A passengers to be exposed to the virus is extremely small.

The same cannot be said for Group B.

This does mean that ship sponsored tours cannot visit the inside of many sites which people would normally tour. Likewise, minimal, if any, opportunity for shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aulanis said:

I haven't actually seen anything from Princess regarding what the position might be.

Princess is still developing their protocols about excursions and will initially bo doubt base them on the experience of the few cruise ships that have restarted. I would not expect to see the Princess information until they actually announce the first cruise to resume.

Maybe foolishly in the few week period when things were looking better here we booked  a cruise to Greenland.  Med countries looked like they would take longer to get to near normal so initially thought
Norway and/or Iceland would be a better bet.
Anyway -its Iceland & Greenland.

There is nothing that I can see that gives any information or guidance on what excursion rules will be like.   They do have excursions available but a 1.5 hour guided walk around a small village at 07.30 am until 09.30 am for the (IMO) extortionate price of $100 was not exactly what I hoped for!

Excursions in Iceland and Greenland are relatively expensive and have been for a long time.

Whilst it is a long time off Aug21 I think Princess should be giving
some indications of "might be".   In the uk we do not have the 
option of cancelling without costs if we decide we dont want to go
though it may be they would allow a transfer to 2022 if covid is still
an issue, ( in which case the cruise industry may have collapsed anyway.)
 Its a long way to go if we cant get off the ship.
I also dont think that the stops in Greenland have infrastructure
to support a whole ship going on ships tours, from what I have read
most just like to walk and take in the scenery & maybe shop for the
odd souvenir of the visit.

Correct, the infrastructure is not there for visits to small villages and towns. But Iceland and Greenland do not want what is in their view thousands of possible infected tourists to wander around.

I believe MSC, for their first cruises offered a package of 3  tours for €100 and maybe 1 free one for those not doing the package.

That is priced starting at €100. Tours many people might desire are priced higher

I have been looking at the Aida plan which is on their website (in German)
 also note that whilst they did put someone off for wandering a way from a group they did assist them in getting home they were not just dumped as the headlines inferred.
I will try and add the Aida stuff as an attachment as it is quite long.
Interesting bits are they provide a free test 3 days before boarding and free test on board if required. The rest is what is being surmised on CC.   

The excursion bit is right at the end.

If anyone can point me to any indications given by Princess that would be useful.

Nothing to point at yet.

aida.txt 4.82 kB · 2 downloads

Ombud - "My PVP said we will have shopping opportunities but in a store where we are the only ones. Supposedly found that on a memo somewhere "

Shopping at Princess "approved" stores has never appealed to me.

As much as passengers would like to not be restricted to ship sponsored tours, the local population that is dependent on the cruise ship tourists also would like to not have those restrictions.

Tour providers, shop owners, taxi drivers, etc. are as anxious as we are for touring to get back to at least close to what used to be normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

But you will still pay corkage if you bring the bottle to a dining room.

Hawaii just opened up their TransPacific air travel pre-testing program.  It was a mess on the first day with lines at the terminals that took 3-4 hours to process those WITH COVID negative tests.  The outer islands are trying to institute a second test at the airport for arriving passengers.  To say the least, it will be several weeks/months before they have a good handle on this process.  

If they can't handle 3000/day air travelers in a timely manner, I doubt they will open up ports to cruise ships.  Hawaii Island has spiked.  Lanai is on lock down due to new COVID cases.  

I won't comment on the many other problems Hawaii is having as they try to reopen to tourism.

Interesting to see that they have a schedule for 2021.

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2

Yet, they are still having trouble with inter island travel for local residents.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

You are correct, the virus cannot tell the difference between Group A and Group B.

But Princess will know that Group A company will have properly sanitized their vehicles, properly tested their drivers and guides, properly supplied PPE for their drivers and guides as needed and designed the tour for no interaction with other local people during the tour.  Thus the opportunity for group A passengers to be exposed to the virus is extremely small.

The same cannot be said for Group B.

This does mean that ship sponsored tours cannot visit the inside of many sites which people would normally tour. Likewise, minimal, if any, opportunity for shopping.

And you know for a fact that the same conditions cannot be negotiated for group B? In St. Petersburg for example, the private tour operators seem to get priority times for many of the regular tourist sites.

Maybe they can get Diamonds International to clear the store for them, but do you really think say the Vatican Museum or similar such places will kick everyone else out for tour groups?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And you know for a fact that the same conditions cannot be negotiated for group B? In St. Petersburg for example, the private tour operators seem to get priority times for many of the regular tourist sites.

Maybe they can get Diamonds International to clear the store for them, but do you really think say the Vatican Museum or similar such places will kick everyone else out for tour groups?

Thank you for saying this.  Having done a private tour in the Vatican, I know for a fact

that it is close quarters. regardless which kind of group you were in. I guess the Vatican

and many other sights will be of limits as well.

I know that I feel sorry about all of the fabulous "private" tour guides and companies

who thrive on our business that we bring to port.

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And you know for a fact that the same conditions cannot be negotiated for group B?   Yes, it could, but then it would be a ship sponsored tour, just like the one for Group A.  And Group A will have a ship's rep with them to ensure protocols are being followed.  A cruise company will not go through the ongoing certification efforts just so some tours could be booked independently.

Maybe they can get Diamonds International to clear the store for them, but do you really think say the Vatican Museum or similar such places will kick everyone else out for tour groups?  Which is why I stated "This does mean that ship sponsored tours cannot visit the inside of many sites which people would normally tour."

Hopefully sometime next year enough people will have received an effective vaccine that cruise ship visits will no longer be considered a danger to port populations and vice versa.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Thank you for saying this.  Having done a private tour in the Vatican, I know for a fact

that it is close quarters. regardless which kind of group you were in. I guess the Vatican

and many other sights will be of limits as well.

I know that I feel sorry about all of the fabulous "private" tour guides and companies

who thrive on our business that we bring to port.

Your welcome, and thank you for your reply.

The questions I have is why would we want to go on a cruise that we cannot experience what we wish in the ports and why would the ports want us if their locals can no longer get any benefit from our onshore spending.

59 minutes ago, caribill said:

Hopefully sometime next year enough people will have received an effective vaccine that cruise ship visits will no longer be considered a danger to port populations and vice versa.

See my reply to the post before yours; the same things apply. Why even go to the ports when you cannot visit anything worthwhile? Are there going to be the same restrictions on people who arrive at a place by airplane or by driving a car?

BTW, this reply is to the stuff you wrote in red replying to me.

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

See my reply to the post before yours; the same things apply. Why even go to the ports when you cannot visit anything worthwhile? Are there going to be the same restrictions on people who arrive at a place by airplane or by driving a car?

Many places require anyone flying in to have had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arriving and some require an additional test upon arriving. So anyone arriving by air/car meeting this requirement would be considered safe enough to go where they want within the country.

Of course, people doing this are not in a bubble that prevents them from being infected by the local population.

@ontheweb, who are the tour guides? 

I am doing Princess excursions for my May TA and only visiting things I consider 'worthwhile.'

1. Madeira 4WD Adventure (max 7 pax)

2. Jerez De La Frontera & Sherry Bodega

3. 4X4 Andalusian Adventure (max 8 pax)

4. Best of Cartagena (small excursion)

5. Debark Tour - St. Peter's Basilica & Colosseum (unfortunately a big group tour. I have no desire to go to the Basilica but want to go to the Coliseum. Will stay over in Rome so it's just sort of a free ride in)

I still have 187.50 OBC after obligatory gratuities & excursions

Added: ports might want us for local drivers / busses & 4×4s / guides / port fees. I'm sure local shop owners want your shopping but it's a slow reopening for issues stated above 

Edited by Ombud

19 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess is still developing their protocols about excursions and will initially bo doubt base them on the experience of the few cruise ships that have restarted. I would not expect to see the Princess information until they actually announce the first cruise to resume.

Well that seems a pretty poor effort by Princess.  I can only think it will be so

that people will not be put off booking.

As mentioned before Aida have set out their protocols though they have had one cruise. I dont think P&O have announced a first cruise but have  published theirs  https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

I would have thought that initially they would be all agreed by Carnival

in conjunction with  CLIA  and such bodies, for all carnival lines and then

maybe tweeked according to port authorities/countries, depending on

their covid situation.   

1 hour ago, Aulanis said:

Well that seems a pretty poor effort by Princess.  I can only think it will be so

that people will not be put off booking.

As mentioned before Aida have set out their protocols though they have had one cruise. I dont think P&O have announced a first cruise but have  published theirs  https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

I would have thought that initially they would be all agreed by Carnival

in conjunction with  CLIA  and such bodies, for all carnival lines and then

maybe tweeked according to port authorities/countries, depending on

their covid situation.   

I do not think Princess has their protocols ready as the information needed to develop them changes often as well as the date of the first Princess cruise to sail being unknown. For example, I have yet to read of oine Caribbean port that has said they will welcome cruise ships yet.

The European cruises so far have varied from cruises with no ports to cruises that are limited to citizens from certain countries to cruises that only go to ports in one country.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The questions I have is why would we want to go on a cruise that we cannot experience what we wish in the ports and why would the ports want us if their locals can no longer get any benefit from our onshore spending.

That's certainly not an unreasonable point of view. But I think we all recognize that some people will be OK with the precautions and limitations that will be required to cruise, at least at the beginning, and other people will not and will wait for those restrictions to be lifted. If you've decided you're in the latter group, and I lean somewhat that way myself, fine. But that doesn't mean some others won't feel differently.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That's certainly not an unreasonable point of view. But I think we all recognize that some people will be OK with the precautions and limitations that will be required to cruise, at least at the beginning, and other people will not and will wait for those restrictions to be lifted. If you've decided you're in the latter group, and I lean somewhat that way myself, fine. But that doesn't mean some others won't feel differently.

Yes, for instance I realize some cruise just for the ship and the new shore protocols would not bother them at all. We go for the ports.

But, actually, when I used "we" in why would we want to cruise, I was referring more to DW and myself than using we to encompass everyone. I know what I was trying to say, and wonder how I could have said it more accurately.

• Like 2

I recently booked a 2-week "Circle" Caribbean cruise on the Crown P for late March.  It will be my first solo cruise as my DH passed away earlier this year.  We have been to the Caribbean many, many times and usually just wander around on our own.  But if I can't get off the ship to do that, I'll survive <g>.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Of course if the cruise spends the time negotiating, vetting and approving any tours then it is likely that they would be cruise line offered tours and not private tours not done through the cruise line.

By the nature of the protocols the key is that they must be vetted and approved by the cruise line.

8 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I recently booked a 2-week "Circle" Caribbean cruise on the Crown P for late March.  It will be my first solo cruise as my DH passed away earlier this year.  We have been to the Caribbean many, many times and usually just wander around on our own.  But if I can't get off the ship to do that, I'll survive <g>.

Barb....I assume you're optimistic regarding a B2B in late March.  We're booked for Jan on the Enchanted, are pessimistic about its chances and hopefully will be able to flip it for April or first week of May.  We only have one free change with American, so we're hoping that a solid start up date gets announced within a month or so.

14 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Barb....I assume you're optimistic regarding a B2B in late March.  We're booked for Jan on the Enchanted, are pessimistic about its chances and hopefully will be able to flip it for April or first week of May.  We only have one free change with American, so we're hoping that a solid start up date gets announced within a month or so.

Yes, I'm optimistic, but I realize it may not happen.  Haven't been on a cruise since April '17 when my husband's health started to decline, so I'm more than ready <g>. It's not a B2B criuse, but a true 14-night cruise out of FL.  We did something very similar on the Grand back in 2010.