Will U.S. Passengers Comply with the Covid Requirements On Board?

Smokeyham

49 minutes ago, mom says said:

There won't be many pax from these countries, if any, sailing out of the US any time soon, so your question is moot. But from what I've read elsewhere , I think they are, as a whole, more likely to be compliant.

No more moot than the whole thread as there won’t be any passengers from the US anytime soon either. Gosh—is that no more moot, or mooter. 🤔

4 hours ago, mom says said:

I would think that job would be part of the regular duties of the existing security personnel. Heaven help us all if the rule breaking is so rife that they need to employ additional "police". However,  I suspect security will be very busy doing just that

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't think that the existing security personnel are many enough and they also have other duties to focus on. To give the existing personnel extra duties which may take much of their time is seldom a good idea.   

I think the point is that security with maybe a couple extra bodies could control any masking issues while multi-tasking with other security concerns. Better use of personnel to have a larger number of them handling all security issues than hiring enough bodies just as mask police to cover the entire ship doing only that.

I think people are really overestimating the problem. I just returned from a week at a US resort and while indoor dining was not open, I failed to see more than one or two possible “infractions”. And I believe those people would not have objected to being nicely asked to don a mask. These were walking from a pool lounger to the bar or exit. Downtown areas were similar. Not one person tried to board the plane or sit in their seat without a mask.

I see the most problems at home in stores with employees improperly wearing the mask. And some people sometimes just forget. I just read a FB post from a very prominent doctor with years of experience at our local medical facility which requires masks of everyone since March, say he was rushing through the hallway and suddenly realized he did not have a mask on.  No police report. 🙂

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I've gotten to where I prefer shopping on base because no one will ignore the mask rules there. I was in our local market in town and there were families with children all of whom were maskless. We have a large number of people who push back on anything they deem unnecessary during this pandemic.

Maybe it’s somewhat a regional thing? We are in a mask mandated state and there is not a lot of noncompliance. Except for protest marches and funerals and weddings. And amazingly it is just the funeral and wedding attendees who seem to be in danger—according to the news.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Maybe it’s somewhat a regional thing? We are in a mask mandated state and there is not a lot of noncompliance. Except for protest marches and funerals and weddings. And amazingly it is just the funeral and wedding attendees who seem to be in danger—according to the news.

ageed, every place I went this weekend (8)  from grocery stores, hardware stores and wineries, people were masked up. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This is what I believe.  Tempt the lines at your peril.

These rules will be all spelled out as part of the cruise lines contract including what happens if you break them.

I think anyone who thinks they can laugh them off will end up being put off of the ship and complete financial responsibility for getting themselves home.  As bigrednole said, the lines will take these rules seriously.  These rules will be backed by passenger signed cruise contract language and corporate lawyers to deal with people who try and get cute.

Only one or two examples will be required before people adjust to the "new normal."

Don't forget that other passengers will be raising a stink if people aren't following the rules.

You have waaaaaay more confidence than me in your fellow Americans...lol. Considering your location, you might be used to nearly universal compliance with the odd flag-waver here and there who doesn't comply because "muh-rights". Outside of these bubbles, it's a different matter entirely. It can be the complete opposite in fact, people with masks are the odd duck out.

A buddy of mine had to go out of state for some training and ended up in one of these areas where it's not taken seriously. Of course he ended up catching covid (thankfully a mild case) along with everyone else at the training because mask use wasn't taken seriously. Got relatives in GA that never wear masks and never have. They openly celebrate it and are quite proud of it.

Thinking that you will have compliance like you do at home, on a cruise, with folks from all areas of the country, is a bit wishful IMO. A vaccine is the way forward, masks and other measures will be a temporary inconvenience in the meantime. A vaccine will protect you from others, your mask protects others from you and relying on compelling everyone to behave is a exercise in frustration.

The cruise lines would need to dedicate a lot of resources and energy on policing everyone and while it's possible, based on what we see with chair saving and such, not likely. Unless security increases (I did notice more security on my last cruise in January) exponentially, I don't see a bunch of front line servers and cleaners holding the line with rude, obnoxious, and possibly drunk passengers, who are essentially "looking to be challenged" and may even feel that their defiance is some kind of pseudo-patriotic action or political statement.     

Edited by cruisingguy007

17 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You have waaaaaay more confidence than me in your fellow Americans...lol. Considering your location, you might be used to nearly universal compliance with the odd flag-waver here and there who doesn't comply because "muh-rights". Outside of these bubbles, it's a different matter entirely. It can be the complete opposite in fact, people with masks are the odd duck out.

The cruise lines would need to dedicate a lot of resources and energy on policing everyone and while it's possible, based on what we see with chair saving and such, not likely. Unless security increases (I did notice more security on my last cruise in January) exponentially, I don't see a bunch of front line servers and cleaners holding the line with rude, obnoxious, and possibly drink passengers who are essentially "looking to be challenged" and may even feel that their defiance is some kind of pseudo-patriotic action or political statement.     

Perhaps I do have more faith in Americans than you.  It's my nature to be optimistic.

Yes, my location is very nice.  It's great not to have an app on my phone to report street feces.  Not much homelessness nor aggressive street panhandling either.  So far, cars seem pretty safe to park on the streets without fear of them being vandalized or burglarized.  

The key point is that not that many resources are needed to enforce compliance.  All it takes is to make a couple of examples of rule breakers.  The word gets out and people will be less likely to challenge the rules.   Dealing with any of this will be handled by the ship's security department.  I have seen them called into action from time to time.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

Masks that protect the wearer would be the way to go.  Readily available, comfortable masks, with N95 level protection.  Exhaust valves would make them even more comfortable to wear.  That would really reverse everything we've been experiencing.  Exhale that unfiltered air.  If everyone who was willing to wear a mask was wearing an N95 level mask, they'd be ok.  But the non-mask wearers would really face an increase in risk by breathing our unfiltered exhaust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

Masks that protect the wearer would be the way to go.  Readily available, comfortable masks, with N95 level protection.  Exhaust valves would make them even more comfortable to wear.  That would really reverse everything we've been experiencing.  Exhale that unfiltered air.  If everyone who was willing to wear a mask was wearing an N95 level mask, they'd be ok.  But the non-mask wearers would really face an increase in risk by breathing our unfiltered exhaust.

Why would someone count on others to protect them when they can protect themselves?  

From what I've read, N95 masks have to be fitted correctly to the individual's face in order to work correctly.  The sealing makes them uncomfortable.  And apparently, they're not recommended for the general public because there are limited supplies.  But I'm really tired of others having my life in their hands.

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Why would someone count on others to protect them when they can protect themselves?  

1. It's very difficult to get a true N95 mask these days, they are pretty much reserved for health care workers only. There are plenty of pseudo N95 masks made in china but no way of showing that they actually filter out as well as a N95

2. N95 masks only work if they are properly fitted to the face, which most people don't do. It does make it a bit harder to breathe. Even health care workers test their N95's daily for fit by stepping into a chamber that helps them determine if particles are getting through. The average person doesn't have access to this

3. We would have to be much more careful with touching the masks, which again, the average person won't do correctly. If we say that everyone can breathe covid out through the masks with the valves, now you have covid all over your mask and are likely to infect yourself when you take it off.  If everyone keeps their covid confined to themselves with the cloth masks, then you mask should only have the germs on it that you already have. 

27 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

1. It's very difficult to get a true N95 mask these days, they are pretty much reserved for health care workers only. There are plenty of pseudo N95 masks made in china but no way of showing that they actually filter out as well as a N95

2. N95 masks only work if they are properly fitted to the face, which most people don't do. It does make it a bit harder to breathe. Even health care workers test their N95's daily for fit by stepping into a chamber that helps them determine if particles are getting through. The average person doesn't have access to this

3. We would have to be much more careful with touching the masks, which again, the average person won't do correctly. If we say that everyone can breathe covid out through the masks with the valves, now you have covid all over your mask and are likely to infect yourself when you take it off.  If everyone keeps their covid confined to themselves with the cloth masks, then you mask should only have the germs on it that you already have. 

All valid points.  Now can you see any shortcomings in relying on other people wearing masks for you protection?

On 11/2/2020 at 10:23 PM, 2wheelin said:

What ? Protest marches give immunity?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What ? Protest marches give immunity?

Immunity from the press saying anything negative about them or questioning their choices to congregate maskless. That would be politically incorrect. There can be 10 cases associated with a wedding celebration and that will get lots of air time. But there can be a “march” with 2000 people and no news of any transmission. So maybe they do give immunity. We need more of them........ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iancal said:

People are not following the guidelines at home and we see the results in the daily numbers. Why would we expect them to follow the guidelines on a cruise ship?

Exactly! Folks that have high compliance in their bubble areas (mostly liberal areas) will be very surprised when they leave their bubbles and realize there are a lot of places where it's the polar opposite and masks aren't enforced in even the slightest, even if there are "mandates". Folks from these states, counties, and cities will be cruising also. They too are looking to "make a few examples" of busy bodies who think they are the mask police. The term "maskholes" doesn't exist for no reason.  

The comparative international covid stats tell the story of how well the US is doing in following covid guidelines vis a vis other nations.

The comparative state covid numbers tell the story of how well residents of each state are doing in following covid guidelines vis a vis other states.

Huge differences in both but there is only once conclusion that a person could draw about whether on board cruise line guidelines would be followed. 

It is a less than encouraging situation.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Exactly! Folks that have high compliance in their bubble areas (mostly liberal areas) will be very surprised when they leave their bubbles and realize there are a lot of places where it's the polar opposite and masks aren't enforced in even the slightest, even if there are "mandates". Folks from these states, counties, and cities will be cruising also. They too are looking to "make a few examples" of busy bodies who think they are the mask police. The term "maskholes" doesn't exist for no reason.  

Which is likely to be the reason why only "maskholes" will be on cruises until Covid is under control one way or another --via  effective, widely distributed vaccine, or natural waning.