UK Gov set to ease measures

molecrochip

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just heard that there is a Coronavirus Update at 4:30 on BBC 1 led by Matt Hancock, perhaps he will be able to give us some good news/ clearances of where we are  re vaccines.

Thank you I shall be watching.

Avril

One of the issues with the vaccine(s) would appear to be that  individuals will still contract CV19, but that symptoms will be markedly reduced. Therefore people will have no symptoms,  but can still spread Covid19 to other people. So the need for social distancing, mask wearing etc will still be needed for a considerable time yet. The following quite illustrates my point.

"Dr Penny Ward, chair of the education and standards committee of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, said: "The question on transmissibility might not be assessed at this time - if the overall incidence of infection is the same in both placebo and vaccinated groups then transmission from a vaccinated person to others remains possible"

However, by mitigating the symptoms,  fewer people will require hospitalization,  which hopefully will allow some inroads to be made into the awful waiting times that people are having to endure, for routine surgery.

Not sure if this makes me a realist, pessimist or optimist. I do however think that we are still some time away from anything approaching normality. 

• Like 4

Wowzz , I think that you are right, we are still some way from a normal life, there are still too many unknowns but at least we are starting to move on the right direction.  The fact that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70 and doctors surgeries don't have freezers at this temperature is not going to make the roll out easy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

From an article in yesterday's Sunday Times written by someone on board, they seemed to be relying on repeat testing rather than masks, which clearly didn't work. 

Masks are very important as well as regular testing. An asymptomatic passenger can spread the virus but will usually show a negative test result. Wearing a mask prevents him/her from spreading the virus they don't know they have. Sensible I would have thought.

Avril

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Wowzz , I think that you are right, we are still some way from a normal life, there are still too many unknowns but at least we are starting to move on the right direction.  The fact that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70 and doctors surgeries don't have freezers at this temperature is not going to make the roll out easy.

Just as soon as I’m given the opportunity to have one of the approved vaccines I’ll be there at the surgery, car park, parking lot.......whatever.  No hesitation at all.  Lead me to it.  👍

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I take your point about -70, bit it appears that bull semen is routinely stored at this temperature,  for use in artificial insemination,  so to a certain extent, the infrastructure for storage and transport at low temperatures are already in place. It's not such a problem as it at first appears.

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I thought that as well Josy, but it only needs to be stored long term at -70 degrees. It can be transported in dry ice and then stored in a normal refrigerator for 5 days, so as long as GP surgeries / pharmacies etc have a normal fridge and regular deliveries it should be OK. I say ‘should’ as I can foresee continuity of supply issues, as has been the case with the flu vaccine, which is far less in demand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just as soon as I’m given the opportunity to have one of the approved vaccines I’ll be there at the surgery, car park, parking lot.......whatever.  No hesitation at all.  Lead me to it.  👍

I think that’s the case for most of us Harry. I will get mine as soon as I am able. I am envious of those lucky folk who have managed to get on a vaccine trial and wish I had been able to. The sooner that we can get all this wretched mess behind us the better. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I take your point about -70, bit it appears that bull semen is routinely stored at this temperature,  for use in artificial insemination,  so to a certain extent, the infrastructure for storage and transport at low temperatures are already in place. It's not such a problem as it at first appears.

I am continually astounded by the diversity of topics discussed on this cruising forum, however, never in a million years would I have expected to see the storage temperature of bull's semen🤣

Avril

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think that’s the case for most of us Harry. I will get mine as soon as I am able. I am envious of those lucky folk who have managed to get on a vaccine trial and wish I had been able to. The sooner that we can get all this wretched mess behind us the better. 

Agreed. But the number of people swallowing the fake vaccine information concerns me. Just had another one at the door wanting to read the solar meter. Doesn’t trust any of the assurances - if it hasn’t had 10 years of testing you can’t trust it. Reminding people with fixed mindsets of advances in immunology and computing over the last few years makes no difference.

There’s always a risk, with anything, even crossing the road. Understanding the nature and real extent of that risk, though, is a trick so many can’t grasp.

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I thought that as well Josy, but it only needs to be stored long term at -70 degrees. It can be transported in dry ice and then stored in a normal refrigerator for 5 days, so as long as GP surgeries / pharmacies etc have a normal fridge and regular deliveries it should be OK. I say ‘should’ as I can foresee continuity of supply issues, as has been the case with the flu vaccine, which is far less in demand. 

That's good if there no problems with supply.

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I am continually astounded by the diversity of topics discussed on this cruising forum, however, never in a million years would I have expected to see the storage temperature of bull's semen🤣

Avril

You’re in the wrong forums, Avril. Always a hot topic in the crossover semen/seamen forums.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I know 😂 -70 degrees? Brrrr. It must come as quite a shock to the cow on the receiving end 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Those of us who have been on the vaccine trial don't know whether we have had the vaccine or the placebo.  So are in no better position than everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I’m just hoping there’s not a terrible mix up involving the bull’s semen and the vaccine! 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Those of us who have been on the vaccine trial don't know whether we have had the vaccine or the placebo.  So are in no better position than everyone else.

I suppose you aren’t if you had the placebo but you are if you had the real thing. Do they tell you which you had or do you have to have it again regardless once it’s rolled out?

Just now, Selbourne said:

I suppose you aren’t if you had the placebo but you are if you had the real thing. Do they tell you which you had or do you have to have it again regardless once it’s rolled out?

I asked the question and didn't get a clear answer, so I will ask again at my appointment next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That largely depends on which experts you believe. We can probably all find an expert to give a date that aligns to our "reality". I quite like Professor John Bells suggestion that life will be back to normal in the Spring. I think the real "reality" is that it's still too soon for anyone to give a well informed answer right now. But it seems like we're edging towards experts being able to give us a more exact timetable of what we can expect to happen and when.  

Lots of experts, lots of different expert opinions. I wonder if any of the experts on here have any real idea, or just enjoy trying to get reasonable, open minded folk to accept there theories. Truth is we don't know. I prefer to hope for the best, but have a plan B just in case. I don't really care what inexpert opinions are force fed to me. I will wait and see and will live with a degree of positivity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re in the wrong forums, Avril. Always a hot topic in the crossover semen/seamen forums.  😉

Sorrry about that Harry, my mistake😁. Either wowzz can't spell or his predictive text is acting up again🤣

Avril

32 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m just hoping there’s not a terrible mix up involving the bull’s semen and the vaccine! 😱

I wouldn't think so. It will be mooooved to another freezer😊

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The problem was that even though all tests and checks were done before boarding,  but once on board, there was no social distancing or anything. Quote - ''company officials say masks will not be required to be worn on the yacht, thanks to the extensive pre-departue testing designed to create a negative 'bubble''' Under those circumstances I don't think we can hold up SeaDream as a test run as none of the larger cruise lines will be using their reckless ideas.

Avril

Avril

What were they testing and checking for before boarding?

Whatever,

It did not work, it was able to by pass the checks and testing.

3 day test prior, plus embarkation check, and daily temperature check,it got passed it all.

Masks are secondary.

Was this cruise important in the great scheme of things, absolutely it would seem, by the number of. influence's, bloggers and industry  press, [including one from this site], on board ,ready to trumpet it's success,.

8 guests and possible one crew member, at this time, seems to be the number., out of 54 guests and 61 crew, details from those on-board.

At the outset,all guests confined to there cabins, the 7 day cruise paused and ship returned to the embarkation port.

The protocols have not worked.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Just another issue to deal with. I'm sure the proper experts are well on the way to solving it. Why would the scientists develop a vaccine that can't be administered. I guess the next thing will be where do we get all those needles?. I'm not going to let some soldier stick a blunt needle in my arm. Oh no he won't. I'll wait until they can put it on a sugar cube.🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

One of the issues with the vaccine(s) would appear to be that  individuals will still contract CV19, but that symptoms will be markedly reduced. Therefore people will have no symptoms,  but can still spread Covid19 to other people. So the need for social distancing, mask wearing etc will still be needed for a considerable time yet. The following quite illustrates my point.

"Dr Penny Ward, chair of the education and standards committee of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, said: "The question on transmissibility might not be assessed at this time - if the overall incidence of infection is the same in both placebo and vaccinated groups then transmission from a vaccinated person to others remains possible"

However, by mitigating the symptoms,  fewer people will require hospitalization,  which hopefully will allow some inroads to be made into the awful waiting times that people are having to endure, for routine surgery.

Not sure if this makes me a realist, pessimist or optimist. I do however think that we are still some time away from anything approaching normality. 

Do you know for certain wowzz that this "expert" is a well respected scientist with a reputation for honest unbiased reporting  or could she be a charlatan?

• Like 1