best way to get to Seward Alaska

flcraigs5

Ignoring the problems that Covid is causing, the absolute best way would be to fly to Seattle and spend 2 weeks driving to Seward.  It is only 2500 miles and is a really great drive.  I have done we loved that part of our AK 2 1/2 month AK driving trip.  Assuming that you can't do that and I think that this assumption is probably correct, flying to Anchorage and renting a car.  You can easily spend a week driving around the Kenai Peninsula on your way from Anchorage to Seward.

DON

While Seward has a small airstrip there is no commercial air service into Seward.  The closest airport is Anchorage.  The Alaska Railroad offers daily train service during the summer.  Or folks can drive.  Several companies offer motor coach service or you could opt for a one-way car rental.  While scenery is subjective, the Alaska Railroad route is generally considered to be more scenic, but the drive is enjoyable too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

flying to Anchorage and renting a car.  You can easily spend a week driving around the Kenai Peninsula on your way from Anchorage to Seward.

That's what I would recommend as the "best way" if one has the time.

If not the time, fly to Anchorage and rent a car; it's a 3-3.5 hour drive to Seward.  Could be longer depending upon traffic or if an accident blocks the highway for awhile.  Don't want yo drive?  Take the train.

There is enough to experience on the Kenai Peninsula and in Seward that having a car makes sightseeing much easier.  

Fly into Anchorage and arrange a transfer to Seward as described by many above.  The cruise line will also arrange the transfer for you.  OR, fly into Vancouver and take a cruise to Anchorage (Seward).  The port for Anchorage will be either Seward or Whittier depending on the cruise line.

I  have been going to Alaska (never a cruise) for over 20 years. Have done the drive from Eagle River to the Kenai Peninsula probably over a 100 times. Have never been bored and and it is constantly changing. Probably my favorite thing to do when up there.

• Like 1

I am cruising out of Seward on RCCL Radiance and am planning on flying into Anchorage.  I am pricing rental cars and cannot find anything reasonably priced for that drive.  This is my first time to Alaska so I have been sticker shocked for the past couple of weeks but honestly, $418 a DAY with Hertz???  Is there something I am missing here?  Or is this normal?  I paid less for a rental car to drive from NJ to Alabama for 10 days.

Edited by jean87510

54 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I am cruising out of Seward on RCCL Radiance and am planning on flying into Anchorage.  I am pricing rental cars and cannot find anything reasonably priced for that drive.  This is my first time to Alaska so I have been sticker shocked for the past couple of weeks but honestly, $418 a DAY with Hertz???  Is there something I am missing here?  Or is this normal?  I paid less for a rental car to drive from NJ to Alabama for 10 days.

Alaska is known for incredibly high car rental fees.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, donaldsc said:

Ignoring the problems that Covid is causing, the absolute best way would be to fly to Seattle and spend 2 weeks driving to Seward.  It is only 2500 miles and is a really great drive....

Even with your disclaimer, what you are suggesting is not possible at this time. Maybe some day - -  but at the moment the border is closed to non-essential travel and people have been turned around when they tried to enter Canada. IF one was permitted to cross with the intention of driving to Alaska, they are issued an "in-transit" pass and must go directly to Alaska, no sight seeing, no dilly-dallying. Many tourists were fined this past summer for sight-seeing on their way to Alaska. 

I realize you said this is the "best way" and in a perfect world it would be an exceptional drive, but I didn't want OP to think s/he could actually do this anytime soon. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I agree with the high price of rental cars. When I first started going up to Alaska I rented cars from Rent-a Wreck. Cheap rates but some crazy cars. When I started staying 6+ weeks I would check craigs list and purchase a car needing min. repairs. Being handy with cars I would repair them and sell them when leaving. I made out pretty good financially. Now I just use one of my nephews cars. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have looked up the alaska railroad and think maybe that is my choice. At least right now LOL....  was also looking at starting in Fairbanks instead of Anchorage. For those that have been to both which has more to see?

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

You simply have to shop for a rental car.  When I did my shopping for the Summer, 2019, Hertz was the highest of any of the major companies.  In the lower 48, I have had good experience with Enterprise.  Their rates were less than Hertz, but not what I was willing to pay.  I finally found a good rate with Budget.  What I experienced, however, was NOT a "budget" experience.  A brand new Ford Focus with less than 2000 miles on it, Sirius XM radio was included, check-in and check-out at ANC was as hassle free as it could have been.  Next time I need a rental car, Budget will be my first place to shop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jean87510 said:

It would seem so! As well as everything else. However, we are looking forward to it.  

The problem w one way rentals either to or from Seward is that I believe that Hertz has the monopoly on Seward rentals.  The same problem exists for Whittier.  I feel that renting a car in AK is worth it at almost any price and have done it several times as I will not do tours, I want the Freedom of a car, I hate trains because they don't stop when and where I want them to do and I can afford the cost of the car rental.  I can understand however that many people don't have the same attitude that I have.

DON

• Like 1

23 hours ago, flcraigs5 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have looked up the alaska railroad and think maybe that is my choice. At least right now LOL....  was also looking at starting in Fairbanks instead of Anchorage. For those that have been to both which has more to see?

If it was me, I'd fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Four days before your cruise would be nice, a week is better and 10 days would be great. But even if you just had a day, before your cruise, I'd still fly into Anchorage.

The drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage can be about an 8 hour drive, and while it's scenic, the scenery is repetitive. Plus a one-way rental from Fairbanks to Anchorage will have an expensive drop off fee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

I reserved a six day, round trip Anchorage, intermediate size Alamo car from Costco  for $376 for next July.  That’s more than we usually pay, but still a pretty good price for Alaska.

That seems rather low.  Does that price include all of the taxes, fees, etc.?  

• 4 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, flcraigs5 said:

Looking for recommendations on getting from East Coast of USA (florida or Georgia) to Seward Alaska. 

Fly to Anchorage.  It's a ridiculously long flight so build in an extra day to rest in Anchorage and/or allow for your luggage to catch up to you should it get routed improperly.  It happens. 

Take the train to Seward.  It leaves very early in the am.  Another reason why you don't want to arrive in Anchorage at 11pm and have to be on a train in 5 - 6 hours.  You will be exhausted. 

Plan for breakfast on the train. (dining car!)

Purchase the upgraded seats on the train (Goldstar). The seats are on the top level of the train and include breakfast.  Try the reindeer sausage for breakfast! 

54 minutes ago, Boo's Mom said:

Fly to Anchorage.  It's a ridiculously long flight so build in an extra day to rest in Anchorage and/or allow for your luggage to catch up to you should it get routed improperly.  It happens. 

Take the train to Seward.  It leaves very early in the am.  Another reason why you don't want to arrive in Anchorage at 11pm and have to be on a train in 5 - 6 hours.  You will be exhausted. 

Plan for breakfast on the train. (dining car!)

Purchase the upgraded seats on the train (Goldstar). The seats are on the top level of the train and include breakfast.  Try the reindeer sausage for breakfast! 

Depending on the cruiseline you can also take the cruise booked transfer train from ANC to Seward which I believe leaves in early afternoon. We have taken the train from Seward to ANC and it arrives into ANC and then it takes boarding passengers back....we have seen people waiting to board as we got off heading for our flight cruise end day.

These are a few of the bus businesses that provide transportation between Anchorage and Seward. If you arrive Seward with a few days prior to your departure you could rent a car in Seward so there won’t be the pricey drop fee.

http://www.sewardbuslines.net/summer.html

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/

https://www.alaskatravel.com/park-connection-bus/?ref=427&utm_source=visit_anchorage&utm_medium=akt&utm_content=transportation_bus_service