Zuiderdam & Volendam summer 2021 schedules have been removed! Redeployment coming?

AtlantaCruiser72

45 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

This time, the reasoning is more opaque and swapping to the smaller ship is skirting on "bait-and-switch" territory.

The reasoning is this - capacity. They most likely feel they will need fewer berths in Europe and more in Alaska for 2021. Moving Zuiderdam to Vancouver will allow them more sales opportunities, even with capacity restrictions. Nothing clandestine or cloak and dagger about it. It’s called leveraging your assets to provide the best return. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, kazu said:

I'm happy to be on the Volendam but don't undertand why the itinerary wasn't kept.

It is what it is and we will figure it out, I guess.  disappointed in the itinerary, not the ship at all as long as I get the cabin I booked.

It’s like a row of dominoes - switch one piece and you have to reset several others. The shortening of the transatlantic could be because of itineraries they want to offer on Volendam after Europe but prior to the Grand South America in 2022. There could also be dry docking space/timing issues for Volendam that are causing the shift. One thing for sure they don’t make the changes without reason or just to piss customers off. However they also are not going to make an explanation to the consumer, in granular detail, for each and every business decision that is made

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It’s like a row of dominoes - switch one piece and you have to reset several others. The shortening of the transatlantic could be because of itineraries they want to offer on Volendam after Europe but prior to the Grand South America in 2022. There could also be dry docking space/timing issues for Volendam that are causing the shift. One thing for sure they don’t make the changes without reason or just to piss customers off. However they also are not going to make an explanation to the consumer, in granular detail, for each and every business decision that is made

Thanks for sharing your insights.  I was looking at Zuiderdam's European schedules, too.

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Depending on date flexibility and port preferences Westerdam has a full Mediterranean season as well. Theoretically you could switch to her if not happy with the accommodation given on Volendam, albeit you would not be price/amenity protected if you did that.  Also Nieuw Statendam arrives in Rome in September through early November. 

I was considering above itinerary, but, decided on the Zuiderdam instead for the 29 day sailing.  It is now 27 on the Volendam.  The 26 day Westerdam is now $2000 MORE per person than when I originally looked at it and decided on the Zuiderdam.  This is a Private Fare rate which I have on the Zuiderdam also.  We have no interest in the Volendam.  Late last year we spent 51 days on the Amsterdam, and we prefer a bigger ship.  Also, my obstructed view on the Zuiderdam is a much better cabin than they would put me in on the Volendam.  I had an obstructed view on the Amsterdam, so I know of which I speak.  I booked directly with HAL and I am still waiting on my notice of the ship change!

We received an email last night as well. We are now on Zuiderdam for our 50 day South Pacific departing end of September 2021. We are concerned about the experience on a larger ship for this itinerary though we do like the amenities of the larger ship.

We were in a lanai so I imagine we would move to balcony of some sort, we shall see

14 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Why do you always assume the worst?  It’s like you want HAL to go out of business.  If you are going to reply to threads, please be constructive and add something of value. 

Both Volendam and Zuiderdam have had new itineraries posted for fall 2021 to spring 2022 in the last few days. That’s not something you do if a ship is about to be announced as leaving the fleet. They are either swapping ships or creating new itineraries to better adjust capacity for summer 2022.

Thank you for posting what I have been thinking for over a year. Sometimes I wonder why those with such a negative attitude still continue to post, and even sail on HAL. 

I appreciate your positive and informative posts. I am certainly not against constructive criticism, but constantly reading negative "HAL is out to get you" type comments from some really turns me off.  (It is NOT my intent to turn this excellent thread into a discussion about criticism. I know there are those that do not agree and that everyone had their right to an opinion.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The Zuiderdams entire Summer/fall 2021 schedule from April 18th through December 23rd has been removed from the HAL agent booking system (POLAR) and is no longer viewable/bookable. This includes her Spring and Fall transatlantic sailings and entire Mediterranean season.  These sailings still appear on the consumer website but attempting a booking on any of them results in the “oops something went wrong” error message.

Smells like a redeployment to me - question is to where?.......  Summer Caribbean or Mexican Riviera?  Or a change to shorter 7nt round trip European sailings maybe from either Rome or Barcelona (similar to what Princess did with Enchanted’s itinerary).

As they say - WATCH THIS SPACE!!

EDIT !!!! - Volendam summer 2021 Alaska Schedule has also disappeared. She has a blank in her schedule now from April 21st to January 4th 2022. Maybe she’ll be replacing Zuiderdam in Europe and Zuiderdam replacing her in Alaska.???

My daughter, son-in-law & I were on Volendam on a 7 day Alaska cruise September 2021.  Received an email yesterday from Gus Antorcha that we would now be on Zuiderdam for our cruise.  Booking is automatically transferred and a new booking number & confirmation would be sent by November 30, 2020.  Same (or upgraded) stateroom assignment.  Zuiderdam is being deployed to Alaska for summer 2021 and then to Hawaii & Tahiti.  Volendam will be sailing in Europe.  I'm not holding m breath for anything nowadays.......

16 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We have a Signature Suite with angled balcony booked on the Zuiderdam (spent awhile choosing that cabin), the Volendam doesn't have Signature Suites....wondering where we'll end up?  

Us too.  Does anyone know if that translates to a NS on Volendam? Thanks.

16 hours ago, kazu said:

Neptune suite?  I would think they would have to do that.  You could score. 😉 

The Neptune Suites on the Volendam are bigger than on the Zuiderdam with bigger, deeper balconies.  Do let us know.

I hope we get one also.  The thing is, we like the two sinks and two showers of the Signature Suites and Volendam Neptune Suites only have one of each. Correct?

4 hours ago, redpear1 said:

We received an email last night as well. We are now on Zuiderdam for our 50 day South Pacific departing end of September 2021. We are concerned about the experience on a larger ship for this itinerary though we do like the amenities of the larger ship.

We were in a lanai so I imagine we would move to balcony of some sort, we shall see

We were  booked in a balcony guarantee on Zuiderdam, and I'm wondering if we will get a lanai!  I know there are many fewer balconies on Volendam.  I'm wondering if I should be contacting our PCC to go to bat for us!

13 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We were  booked in a balcony guarantee on Zuiderdam, and I'm wondering if we will get a lanai!  I know there are many fewer balconies on Volendam.  I'm wondering if I should be contacting our PCC to go to bat for us!

Yeah, I would step up on that.  Look through this thread someone posted the conversion chart.   Lanais are not considered Balconies usually and are usually much cheaper 

Edited by Mary229

38 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Us too.  Does anyone know if that translates to a NS on Volendam? Thanks.

It would be an upgrade, which would work IF the ships had somewhere close to the same number of NS.  Since Volendam has so few, I just hope they don't try to downgrade us to a Vista Suite.

@AtlantaCruiser72 Do you think there's any possibility that HAL will cut off bookings now so we have somewhat more of a chance of getting what we want on the Volendam?

46 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I hope we get one also.  The thing is, we like the two sinks and two showers of the Signature Suites and Volendam Neptune Suites only have one of each. Correct?

Yes you are absolutely correct.

I totally forgot about that somehow 😉 

30 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think I would if I were you, Ann.

I’ve already emailed my TA with a slew of questions.  Once I hear from her, I’ll be able to make a concrete decision, I think.  I am very concerned about HAL “assigning” cabins and the itinerary.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

It would be an upgrade, which would work IF the ships had somewhere close to the same number of NS.  Since Volendam has so few, I just hope they don't try to downgrade us to a Vista Suite.

@AtlantaCruiser72 Do you think there's any possibility that HAL will cut off bookings now so we have somewhat more of a chance of getting what we want on the Volendam?

The sailings have been completely removed for new bookings until they get everyone moved over to the new sailings with new booking #s. We have been told that it could take up to November 30th for the process to be complete. 

Unfortunately for those booked into Signature Suites on Zuiderdam the equivalent (in HAL’s opinion) is a Vista Suite on Volendam.  The ones getting the biggest displacement will be those who booked standard Verandah rooms on Zuiderdam, as there is zero comparable option on Volendam. They will most likely be placed into full ocean view rooms (hopefully with either a fare adjustment or obc compensation or both) or have the option to cancel.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The sailings have been completely removed for new bookings until they get everyone moved over to the new sailings with new booking #s. We have been told that it could take up to November 30th for the process to be complete. 

Unfortunately for those booked into Signature Suites on Zuiderdam the equivalent (in HAL’s opinion) is a Vista Suite on Volendam.  The ones getting the biggest displacement will be those who booked standard Verandah rooms on Zuiderdam, as there is zero comparable option on Volendam. They will most likely be placed into full ocean view rooms (hopefully with either a fare adjustment or obc compensation or both) or have the option to cancel.

Thank you, this is what worries us.  We may look into sailing the Westerdam the whole time instead (we're already booked on the Westerdam Oct. 18 after the Zuiderdam sailing Sept. 23.  

18 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The ones getting the biggest displacement will be those who booked standard Verandah rooms on Zuiderdam, as there is zero comparable option on Volendam.

What do you mean by standard verandah, please?  

Do you mean the lowest class of balcony or all verandahs?  My sisters were joining me on this cruise.  One had the double wide balcony and the other was right beside her in a balcony.  They are not the cheapest category on the Zuiderdam and if there is a risk that they will be in an OV that seals the deal for me on what I will do.

I am really nervous on cabins being assigned.  From what I could tell, it seemed the Zuiderdam sailing was selling well.  

As one of our roll call members put it - Sometimes it just feels like it's uphill both ways. Barefoot. In the snow. 

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

What do you mean by standard verandah, please?  

Do you mean the lowest class of balcony or all verandahs?  My sisters were joining me on this cruise.  One had the double wide balcony and the other was right beside her in a balcony.  They are not the cheapest category on the Zuiderdam and if there is a risk that they will be in an OV that seals the deal for me on what I will do.

I am really nervous on cabins being assigned.  From what I could tell, it seemed the Zuiderdam sailing was selling well.  

As one of our roll call members put it - Sometimes it just feels like it's uphill both ways. Barefoot. In the snow. 

Standard Verandah would mean all categories from VA-VH on Zuiderdam. There is no equivalent on Volendam. The only rooms with balcony are Vista Suites and higher, which will be used to accommodate those booked into Signature Suites or higher only.  I fear HAL have painted themselves, and their customers, into a corner with this one. 

I’m sure some people will switch from the Volendam to the Westerdam or Nieuw Statendam. 
I am booked on the Westerdam in Oct 2021 but it was a toss up with the Zuiderdam when I made the booking. There is capacity there for suites and balconies. 

22 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Standard Verandah would mean all categories from VA-VH on Zuiderdam. There is no equivalent on Volendam. The only rooms with balcony are Vista Suites and higher, which will be used to accommodate those booked into Signature Suites or higher only.  I fear HAL have painted themselves, and their customers, into a corner with this one. 

OMG 😱 

thanks so much.  You have helped a lot.

That’s not good at all.

If I were in a Signature Suite and ended up in a Vista I wouldn’t be a happy camper.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Do you have an opinion on whether HAL will extend the 'Book with Confidence' scheme? It is due to end October 31st.

We have booked a GTY verandah on the Zuiderdam November Trans Atlantic.  It is bad enough that we have 'lost' 4 ports and a two day docking in Madeira has become just an overnight, but to end up in a OV cabin, would be too much to accept.

We are considering changing to the Westerdam Trans Atlantic and if we wait until we receive the new booking confirmation for the replaced ZDM to Volendam cruise, then the Book with Confidence may be ended.

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Do you have an opinion on whether HAL will extend the 'Book with Confidence' scheme? It is due to end October 31st.

We have booked a GTY verandah on the Zuiderdam November Trans Atlantic.  It is bad enough that we have 'lost' 4 ports and a two day docking in Madeira has become just an overnight, but to end up in a OV cabin, would be too much to accept.

We are considering changing to the Westerdam Trans Atlantic and if we wait until we receive the new booking confirmation for the replaced ZDM to Volendam cruise, then the Book with Confidence may be ended.

Any thoughts?

HAL has us in a pickle IMO especially with us having to wait until Nov. 30th for the final booking.

The “have it all promo” ends in a couple of days, too.  So if one doesn’t transfer or make up their mind, they could lose it.

Not good at all IMO.  

I am thinking of doing the same as you, sadly.