Ship movements thread

FreestyleNovice

5 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Encore is sitting at the Southampton City Cruise Terminal (Berth 101) - exactly the same place where we boarded and sailed with her exactly one year ago today, for her inaugural Transatlantic crossing to New York.

I am so looking forward to seeing the Encore not sure if my cruise will sail on Jan 9th 2021 but can't wait to see this ship it sounds fabulous.  

Norwegian Bliss; moored, Portland, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Breakaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Dawn; at anchor, Siricusa, IT
Norwegian Encore; moored, Southampton, UK
Norwegian Epic; moved to Marseille FR, next to Breakaway now
Norwegian Escape; at anchor, Jakarta anchorage, Indonesia (India, Suez canal, Med, Gibraltar, Atl. Ocean, Miami, late Dec arrival?)
Norwegian Gem; moored, Port of Miami, US
Norwegian Getaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Jade; moored, Naples, IT
Norwegian Jewel; at anchor, Long Beach inner anchorage, Los Angeles, USA
Norwegian Joy; moored, Manilla port, Manilla, PH

Norwegian Pearl; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba, together with Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sky; moored, Willemstad, Curacao
Norwegian Spirit; moored, Brindisi, IT
Norwegian Star; moored, Civitavecchia, IT
Norwegian Sun; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Pride of America: moored, Honolulu, Hawaii

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 11/2/2020 at 3:12 PM, Summerstravel said:

I am so looking forward to seeing the Encore not sure if my cruise will sail on Jan 9th 2021 but can't wait to see this ship it sounds fabulous.  

I just cancelled my Jan 9th on Encore to get my Cruise Next deposit cert back. Based on travel time and schedule, the 28 day waiting period to apply for test sailings, and the time for test sailings themselves, I believe for NCL Feb will be the very soonest for revenue sailings. 

Now RC and MSC and CCL, those vesssels have been off the coastal waters of the US and are not subject to the 28 day waiting oeriod and therefore can apply today in theory for test sailing, also they dont need the time to voyage from Europe or Asia. Those lines I believe will sail in January with revenue if they can make all the hurdles and pass the test sailings in December. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I just cancelled my Jan 9th on Encore to get my Cruise Next deposit cert back. Based on travel time and schedule, the 28 day waiting period to apply for test sailings, and the time for test sailings themselves, I believe for NCL Feb will be the very soonest for revenue sailings. 

Now RC and MSC and CCL, those vesssels have been off the coastal waters of the US and are not subject to the 28 day waiting oeriod and therefore can apply today in theory for test sailing, also they dont need the time to voyage from Europe or Asia. Those lines I believe will sail in January with revenue if they can make all the hurdles and pass the test sailings in December. 

In addition CCL has to deal with the Miami judges order on the sanitation issue. That could be another month.

10 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I just cancelled my Jan 9th on Encore to get my Cruise Next deposit cert back.

Uggh... I'm sorry. I know you were holding out  hope for a long time. 

A positive spin: Just think how happy you will be when you finally do get to embark on a cruise :).

On 11/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, bluesea777 said:

Encore is sitting at the Southampton City Cruise Terminal (Berth 101) - exactly the same place where we boarded and sailed with her exactly one year ago today, for her inaugural Transatlantic crossing to New York.

Us too!  What a cruise!

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Us too!  What a cruise!

Same. We were all on together. Did you guys do any of the CC activities? MGE?

I can now say weve been through 26ft seas and 75mph winds! That was our best cruise. What a great time. 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Uggh... I'm sorry. I know you were holding out  hope for a long time. 

A positive spin: Just think how happy you will be when you finally do get to embark on a cruise :).

So very true. It was the December that got the big ax that I was upset we lost. With all the FCC bumps and discounts we scored Aft Penthouse Haven on Escape 7ni for 5500$!! Thats a win and it was hard to see it go. Ive got the backups deposited for mid Feb on MSC and NCL (as we discussed on here). 

17 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I am still scheduled on that cruise I am using FCCs so I will wait it out.  

Norwegian Bliss; moored, Portland, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Breakaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Dawn; at anchor, Siricusa, IT
Norwegian Encore; moored, Southampton, UK
Norwegian Epic; in dry dock, Marseille FR
Norwegian Escape; heading for Sri Lanka, ETA 2020-11-12 04:00 LT UTC (India, Suez canal, Med, Gibraltar, Atl. Ocean, Miami, late Dec arrival?)
Norwegian Gem; heading for Boston, ETA 2020-11-09 05:30 LT (UTC -5), left Miami, US
Norwegian Getaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Jade; moored, Naples, IT
Norwegian Jewel; out for a spin, off the coast CA, returning to Long Beach next day, Los Angeles, USA
Norwegian Joy; at anchor Manilla Bay, Manilla port, Manilla, PH

Norwegian Pearl; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba, together with Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sky; moored, Willemstad, Curacao
Norwegian Spirit; moved, from Brindisi, IT to Augusta, IT (Sicily, close to Norwegian Dawn)
Norwegian Star; moored, Civitavecchia, IT
Norwegian Sun; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Pride of America: moored, Honolulu, Hawaii

Not much happening, we could compare Escape's past days with the shared itinerary but as said by others on the board to see if she's kind of up to schedule.

Norwegian Spirit sailed to Sicily, perhaps she had to give up her Brindisi dock spot, could be the weather, nothing big. Sicily is far from a stepping-stone for crew gathering with relatively poor (airport)infrastructure.

Norwegian Epic, the cradle of Freestyle cruising, entered dry dock for maintenance, with the company of her descendants Breakaway and Getaway at the piers in Marseille, FR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Not much happening, we could compare Escape's past days with the shared itinerary but as said by others on the board to see if she's kind of up to schedule.

I missed a sentence there, whoops, meant to say; but even with us on top of the schedule and an ETA in Miami we still won't know anything about setting sail.. 

• Like 1

At this point, I’m going to make the call that January revenue passenger operations for NCL are not going to happen in North America. Everything is too stagnant given their distance from the US and the 28day waiting period. Id say RCL and CCL and MSC have a shot given they will not have to take the 28 day waiting period if they use the ships theyve kept in and around Southern Florida coasts, however CLIA put the lockdown on until Jan 1 anyway so I’m not sure there is much hope for them either. 

Edited by BoundForSea

44 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Some pictures of Gem in Boston drydock.

Credits: Phil Giles

Image may contain: one or more people

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Looking at the pictures I repeated above, I know understand why they have a mandate for a major refurb every five years.  I work in aerospace and anything that showed that level of corrosion in my business would be immediately scrapped.  Of course, most of our products are made from thin aluminum and not heavy plate steel!

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, BoundForSea said:

28day waiting period

I'm curious on the 28-day waiting period.  Can't they start the EDC reporting now, so that by the time they reach US waters there is going to be a reduced time period or even none (depending on how long it takes to make the transit, especially for those near India/SE Asia)?

5 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Looking at the pictures I repeated above, I know understand why they have a mandate for a major refurb every five years.  I work in aerospace and anything that showed that level of corrosion in my business would be immediately scrapped.  Of course, most of our products are made from thin aluminum and not heavy plate steel!

Flew 1159 - SN50 Dave 😉, Called her BO. Not a stitch of corrosion, worked good she lasted a long time until she was too loud snd smokey (damn shame) Keep up the quality work down there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Most of what you see in those photos is not corrosion.  That is hard marine growth attached to the hull.  I haven't seen what a ship looks like when the newer teflon anti-fouling paints are brought out after 5 years, but that amount of marine growth is not unusual for conventional self-polishing copolymer bottom paint.  At some point, the paint loses its toxic elements, and simply becomes paint under water, and marine growth attaches.  Not sure what stage in the bottom prep they are at, usually there is a low pressure water wash to remove loose stuff, then either a high pressure (5000psi) water blast to remove the hard growth, and then grit blasting to remove paint where corrosion is actually present.  Hard to tell whether they've had a coating failure in the thruster tunnels and the lower bow plates, or whether that is a different color bottom paint from the last drydocking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1