Ship movements thread

FreestyleNovice

On 11/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

Updated schedule for ESCAPE:

(haven't found the updated version for JOY yet)

Oct 31: Manila, Philippines

Nov 04-05: Jakarta, Indonesia

Nov 12: Galle, Sri Lanka [technical call]

Nov 15: Male, Maldives

Nov 20-23: Mormugao (Goa), India

Nov 24-27: Mumbai, India

Dec 02: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia [technical call]

Dec 04: Suez, Egypt [technical call]

Dec 05: Transit Suez Canal

Dec 08-11: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Then possibly Gibraltar and USA

Seems the call to Sri Lanka and Maldives will be cancelled...

The next port of Escape is now listed as Goa, India.

• Like 1

I can't believe I missed this. Not working in the city of Boston due to COVID means I don't get to take my walks down Long Wharf to see what cruise ships are in. I haven't looked at AIS data for a while as it was too depressing. I did today as I was a bit bored and imagine my shock when I saw the Norwegian Gem was in dry dock! Yay! Question is, does anyone know how much longer she will be in Boston?

This is the schedule that I received from crew members several months ago. I found it to be useful and keep until today. Most of the dates / ports being mentioned are proved to be accurate (or just within +/- 1 week).

Hence it is expected that Epic will finish the drydock work on around 23rd Nov, and Gem on around 20th Nov.

Next it will be Star to enter drydock in December.

image.png

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 2

Thank you to both of you for your reply. I haven't been on and just came on looking for the easiest thread for ship movements! Sad she'll be out of here by the weekend. I was hoping to see her this weekend. Take a drive over and social distance and such. Would've been nice to see her before she left!

13 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

I was hoping to see her this weekend. Take a drive over and social distance and such. Would've been nice to see her before she left!

With the recent very + news on the vaccine(s), it may not be too, too long before you may be able to do more than just see her; you may be able to cruise on her - no social distancing, masks, etc required.

8 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

The vaccine news is great but it'll be at least the mid to late 2021 before everyone is vaccinated enough to allow cruising to occur in that type of situation (mask free). Until then it'll be proof of vaccination and testing and even that is not foolproof sadly (see Sea Dream).

Yeah, I saw somewhere that the time frame for the vaccine(s) to be getting out to the general public is about 5 months - so hopefully, May 2021.

No one thought that these vaccines would be developed this quickly so perhaps this will hold true for the distribution & vaccination of the general public as well and will happen sooner than predicted also.

25 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, I saw somewhere that the time frame for the vaccine(s) to be getting out to the general public is about 5 months - so hopefully, May 2021.

The national news tonight had speculated info on the phases for distribution, there were 4 phases.  I fall into phase 4, not sure if I'm happy or disappointed.

I can post what they were here if people are OK with it, but it's a derailment of the thread...

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

The national news tonight had speculated info on the phases for distribution, there were 4 phases.  I fall into phase 4, not sure if I'm happy or disappointed.

I can post what they were here if people are OK with it, but it's a derailment of the thread...

I think I saw what you are referring to or something similar (for some reason, I remember 8+ phases). I can't speak for anyone else on this thread but I wouldn't mind you posting it here.

Maybe we should ask @FreestyleNovice, the OP.

Edited by farmersfight

14 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Encore doing laps again.  Wonder if it feels like NASCAR??  "Make a left turn, make another left turn, make another left turn".  🤣

Well, NASCAR does get oil all over the track, while Encore can't do that to get rid of their oily waste, but then again, NASCAR doesn't poop out the window while making laps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Encore doing laps again.  Wonder if it feels like NASCAR??  "Make a left turn, make another left turn, make another left turn".  🤣

2020-11-17 142820.JPG

Looks like some rocket scientist on the ship has somewhat connected his go-kart with the bridge room ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thoughts or speculation: How fast do you think they're going to get the Gem out of US territorial waters when dry dock is over? I'm just wondering if they'll let her stay around Boston for a bit or sail her straight back towards Aruba.

Sadly our COVID count is going back up by leaps and bounds so I don't think they'd want to stay to take any risks. I know the crew is likely not getting off the ship in port. I do hope they're minimizing the contact between those on the ship and shore-side.

11 hours ago, CruisinMaterial said:

Thoughts or speculation: How fast do you think they're going to get the Gem out of US territorial waters when dry dock is over? I'm just wondering if they'll let her stay around Boston for a bit or sail her straight back towards Aruba.

Sadly our COVID count is going back up by leaps and bounds so I don't think they'd want to stay to take any risks. I know the crew is likely not getting off the ship in port. I do hope they're minimizing the contact between those on the ship and shore-side.

Unfortunately, shipyard is not a time where there can be limited interaction between the shipyard personnel and the crew.  Even with the current minimum manning onboard, the ones still there are the technical departments who normally have the greatest contact with the yard workers anyway.  From something I heard on another thread, NCL has restricted the POA crew to the ship, can't confirm it, but if so, if they are doing that for US crew, then the Gem crew would be restricted as well.

As far as I know, the only real reason she was down in Aruba was because there were few restrictions on crew changes, and if Gem maintains her "green" status with the CDC, they can do crew changes in the US, so while they may not want to spend the winter in Boston, they may merely sail south, and stick around Florida.

• Like 1

Norwegian Bliss; moored, Portland, UK (English Channel)
Norwegian Breakaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Dawn; moored, Siricusa, IT
Norwegian Encore; moored, Southampton, UK
Norwegian Epic; in dry dock, Marseille FR
Norwegian Escape; about to arrive in Goa, India (India, Suez canal, Med, Gibraltar, Atl. Ocean, Miami, late Dec arrival?)
Norwegian Gem; out for sea trials, Boston, US (dry dock)
Norwegian Getaway; moored, Marseille, FR
Norwegian Jade; moored, Naples, IT
Norwegian Jewel; at anchor, Long Beach anchor area Los Angeles, USA
Norwegian Joy; at anchor Manilla Bay, Manilla port, Manilla, PH

Norwegian Pearl; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba, together with Norwegian Sun
Norwegian Sky; moored, Willemstad, Curacao
Norwegian Spirit; moored, Brindisi, IT
Norwegian Star; moored, Civitavecchia, IT
Norwegian Sun; moored, Oranjestad, Aruba
Pride of America: moored, Honolulu, Hawaii

No big changes, with Joy still sitting and waiting in Manilla although social media accounts did showed crew movements. As shared by Cruise Wonderland most ships are at their "final lay up ports". Escape is about to dock/anchor at Goa, India, on her trip to Miami.

Epic is in dry dock, the Gem is out for sea trials to see if there are any loose nuts and bolts.

• Like 4