Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

12 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I am not the brightest bulb in the pack, But have enough manners to not

point out others mistakes.Sorry but I don'tl ike that.

All is good.  Saimin is not in the computer's spelling list.  She was just bringing the auto correct to my attention in a timely manner (I did go back and edit correct spelling).  Thank you for looking out for me.

• Like 3

Thank you so much Cr8tiv for your suggestions re the pie and saimin noodles.  Why have we never found them?  I have copied down the address in Kauai and we will certainly be gong there when we are there in 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Thank you so much Cr8tiv for your suggestions re the pie and saimin noodles.  Why have we never found them?  I have copied down the address in Kauai and we will certainly be gong there when we are there in 2023.

They are not on the Main Street.  Down a little drive way.  Have to admit that it is interesting place (reminded me of all the saimin stands I grew up with on Oahu)....First time I went there, I was advised to ask the Walmart shuttle to drop me off at the corner.  She told me when to meet the shuttle again.  Quite an adventure.  Not much on the menu.  But the pie is certainly worth the trip.  Next time, I will buy the whole pie.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, Ellie, THAT'S the pie.  Light, great flavor.  I love any thing lilikoi.  Much better than anything lemon.

There's a history behind saimin.  A Hawaii creation.  Very different than the ramen you see all over the place now.  Simple ingredients and warms the heart.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/how-hawaii-style-saimin-is-making-a-comeback/

It certainly looks light and fluffy, cr8tiv1. I can’t wait to try it! 😉

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

All is good.  Saimin is not in the computer's spelling list.  She was just bringing the auto correct to my attention in a timely manner (I did go back and edit correct spelling).  Thank you for looking out for me.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who makes typos. Actually, some of my worst examples are when I text and my phone thinks it knows better than me what I am writing. It can be quite embarrassing.☺️🙈🤣

23 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Think we should organise a Crusing Adventurers ‘meet up’ in the future to experience the delights of the pie and the noodles together! 

• Like 4

The end of yet another ‘perfect day.’

28FE861D-9179-4071-AFD8-706A096B9946.thumb.png.32e826a35b27f5eb5031caf28c86b254.png

After the lovely long sail away we dash back down to our cabin for a shower and a change of clothes before making our way up to the theatre for the show. 

Now I have to admit I have a soft spot for ventriloquists if they are good. So we really enjoy the show by Dan Horn. He is very experienced and extremely talented and we have a good few laughs. 

44EEEBAB-B38B-435A-9E8D-761BA324FD0D.thumb.png.7bca5d5fc1742281cfacfaa33ad15272.png

After a relaxing interlude it is time for dinner. Now I have to tell you that for some reason I forgot to take any photos of either the menu, or the food. So it was either so awful that I couldn’t bring myself to save it for posterity, or it was so excellent that we gobbled it down before I had time to get my phone out. Whatever the reason I am sure it was as good as usual.

After dinner we make our way to the Explorers Lounge, and listen to Tommy McPhee’s Tribute to the Piano Greats. We love the music of Neil Sedaka, Barry Manilow and Elton John, so we enjoy a pleasant time listening to him perform.

Tomorrow is our last Hawaiian island so we decide to have an early night, and after a quick cup of tea in the buffet, we wend our way back to our cabin. 

As usual it has been beautifully prepared, with a chocolate on the pillow and tomorrow’s patter laid out on the bed. Such bliss, especially as it is combined with the gloriously comfortable Princess bed. 

We have nothing planned tomorrow, except I really want to swim at least the once in Hawaiian waters. So we will just explore on our own. 

It is a tender port so we will probably let the early crowd get off first.

So, until tomorrow, goodnight, sleep tight, see you in the morning! 😴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maui -  Lahaina, Our Final Hawaiian Port

57DDA43D-517B-475B-BBD0-5A9EF66FC865.thumb.png.6f6c52bef37aafcdc51778c822cf0034.png

At approximately 730 square miles, Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian islands. It is also the 17th largest island in the USA.

CDCBCBF8-A82D-43C6-BA73-7B5AB9858D9B.thumb.png.356afc0a85c820a5b93d6862b661ccab.png

It is a volcanic island, and has two peaks. The larger of the two, Haleakala, rises to over 10,000 ft above sea level. It was way back in 1790 that Maui experienced its last eruption, and although it is considered to be dormant, it could still erupt in the future.

One of the greatest natural phenomena of this island is the migration of humpback whales each year, and thus Maui has become a centre for whale-watching. These whales migrate from Alaskan waters each autumn, travelling over 3,500 miles in order to spend the winter months mating and giving birth in the warm waters surrounding Maui. They are an endangered species and protected by federal and state laws.

Maui was originally populated by Polynesians from Tahiti, but it wasn’t until 1778 that the famous explorer, James Cook, became the first European to see Maui, although he never actually stepped foot on the island as he couldn’t find a safe place to land.

More Europeans followed, and many exploited the riches of the island, such as sandalwood. Missionaries soon followed, in 1823, but they were shocked by the islander’s lack of clothing and enjoyment of hula dancing. They soon banned this dance, and made sure the natives wore clothes. The missionaries taught reading and writing, and created the 12-letter Hawaiian alphabet, as well as starting the first school in Lahaina. The Lahainaluna Mission School opened in 1831, and still exists to this day.

Lahaina became a centre of whaling between 1843 and 1860. At one time over 400 ships visited during the whaling season. However, by the end of the 19th century whaling declined due to the use of petroleum, which replaced whale oil.

By the Second World War, Maui became a training base and a relaxation and rest centre for more than 100,000 troops. Its beaches were used to practise landings.

Nowadays, its main industry is, of course, tourism, and it attracts many snorkellers, surfers, wind surfing, kite surfing and kite boarding. It used to be a big producer of sugar and pineapple, but sugar production ended in 2016. Today, Maui’s primary agricultural products are corn, fruits, cattle and vegetables, as well as macadamia nuts, pineapple, papaya and flowers.

8FE834CF-3672-4533-85F8-7CAB1B24F1B3.thumb.png.2ad496de2eb2e78f1ee23bec53bc7a78.png

Perhaps one of Maui’s most unusual facilities is the Haleakala Observatory, a centre for advanced astronomical research. From here, satellites, missiles, astronomical objects and man-made space debris can be observed, year round, due to its high elevation, freedom from light pollution and dry climate.

• Like 3

I have a friend who was a geologist with the US Geological Survey.  Learned a lot about the islands from him.  Maui and her surrounding islands were once one island.  That is why there is a such a shallow "ocean" between these islands that make it ideal for young humpbacks.  Unfortunately, these same waters do not provide any food for the whales.

https://activityauthority.com/maui-nui-defined/

• Like 2

Monday, April 15th, 2019

Lahaina, Maui

DSC01016.thumb.JPG.24c0c863a7680a63bffecc82056c184c.JPG

1675146C-F8D2-46D0-9D07-570AF2104CDD.thumb.jpeg.87882bbd473c23d77beccb6d08d0b1ca.jpeg

Ruby Princess sailed the 174 nautical miles from Nawiliwili to Lahaina, Maui, at a leisurely speed of just 13.4 knots.

The day is going to be sunny, with an average temperature of 77 degrees F, 25 degrees C. There is going to be a light breeze, so it looks like it’s going to be a beautiful day, and a great way to end our exploration of these Hawaiian islands.

Today, Ruby Princess is going to anchor off Lahaina, and the tenders will be busy all day transporting us all to and from shore.

At 06.45, having reached her anchorage, the Captain ordered the anchor to be let go, to 6 shackles in the water. Now if you read my Fiji virtual cruise you will know that a shackle, in nautical terms, is a unit used to measure the length of cables or chains, especially anchor chains, and one shackle is equal to 15 fathoms or 90 ft. Now that is a great piece of trivia for you to remember!

549577588_DSC01013(2).thumb.JPG.911567ed6806f2b0eebfe56c3a37b0d9.JPG

Once the pontoons are made ready for passenger disembarkation, it is ‘all hands on deck’ as the tenders are lowered, and the first little boat heads for land at 07.18.

D60CEF79-DA5D-4FB5-B5BF-1A915410C38C.thumb.jpeg.f96317688f53941484ebdd17a945a363.jpeg

We are awake early and as I peer out of our window I can see that the tenders are in the process of being lowered, and we can catch our first glimpse of this beautiful island. I think this is one of the things that I love so much about cruising, waking up in the morning and looking out to see somewhere new just beyond our window. It never ceases to lift my spirits. 

7BEC07E1-32E4-4271-8BD7-9A4FA904FCB8.thumb.jpeg.a0ea6626824355b99e15cd684aab7727.jpeg

Having booked an obstructed view cabin, it is only when the tenders are lowered that we get a great view from our window. The sun is rising and the island stretches out in front of us in all its beauty. Sadly, our window is in desperate need of a clean, so I am afraid that the photo is rather ‘spotty’ but the view is still glorious. I really must mention it to Captain Speaking the next time I meet him.....

46F5B912-E9F2-4293-B39A-87CE6107B9D0.thumb.jpeg.d498225ba12039ed5b843289a0c7e332.jpeg

The sun is shimmering on the water and we watch the little tenders making their way towards the dock. We are not rushing to get off today, so we make our way down to the Dining Room for breakfast, one of our favourite meals. It’s lovely to be served, rather than marching round the buffet.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Monday, April 15th, 2019

Lahaina, Maui

Sadly, our window is in desperate need of a clean, so I am afraid that the photo is rather ‘spotty’ but the view is still glorious. I really must mention it to Captain Speaking the next time I meet him.....

46F5B912-E9F2-4293-B39A-87CE6107B9D0.thumb.jpeg.d498225ba12039ed5b843289a0c7e332.jpeg

One of my favorite funny memories was at Lahaina. When we were standing in line to board a shuttle back to the ship, a lady in front of us complained to her friend that it was a "disgrace that they don't clean those windows".🤣

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 2

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.’

John Gunther

What better way to start the day than with a starched white linen tablecloth, sparkling glasses and shiny cutlery (flatware), especially when there is a smiling steward waiting to take your order.

We order fruit juice, and oatmeal as a treat, and then follow that with items from the grill. DH prefers poached eggs, and wheat toast, but I decide to have the ‘full catastrophe’ (anyone know which film this quote comes from??).

52374484-3AE4-41B7-9E50-4343FDC20DB1.thumb.jpeg.0d9026670833752cf4d8d02ab16d4c79.jpeg

Our breakfasts arrive piping hot and freshly cooked. It will set us up for the day ahead.  

D32EC448-0043-4DC1-AF61-2060EE72934C.thumb.jpeg.51923dbd583ecdf489c3be69568300bd.jpeg

I finish with a fruit plate, plain with no ricotta cheese, whilst DH picks a Danish pastry. 

ABB9A0D6-5E51-4188-BF7D-DCC26AA1E314.thumb.jpeg.95986e637e8cc64ab9b41f3d493befee.jpeg

0F448A61-B85C-48BB-83C6-14D74E24974A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, marden1970 said:

Maui is my favorite port on this itineray.  Just wish Lahaina wasn't a tender port.  Not bad when disembarking the ship but can be a long wait to get back on.

You are SO right about the long wait to get back. It was nearly an hour! 🙈

How are things in Nevada, Marsden1970? 

On 5/12/2021 at 7:22 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I have a friend who was a geologist with the US Geological Survey.  Learned a lot about the islands from him.  Maui and her surrounding islands were once one island.  That is why there is a such a shallow "ocean" between these islands that make it ideal for young humpbacks.  Unfortunately, these same waters do not provide any food for the whales.

https://activityauthority.com/maui-nui-defined/

Thank you for that information, cr8tiv1. It is most interesting. I’d love to see the whales one day. I don’t think I’ve ever seen whales except at Seaworld, but to see them in their natural habitat must be awe inspiring.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

One of my favorite funny memories was at Lahaina. When we were standing in line to board a shuttle back to the ship, a lady in front of us complained to her friend that it was a "disgrace that they don't clean those windows".🤣

I had a little giggle over that story, JF-retiredRRT. 

Perhaps Captain Speaking should make sure that the sea spray never reaches the windows? 🤣

• Like 1

Next time we will make our way over to the island and explore the town, before an afternoon swim.

So sorry I have taken so long with this adventure. What with the arrival of our little grandson, and now I’m undergoing tests for glaucoma I don’t seem to have had as much time as usual, but I will try to do better.

I’m actually surprised (and thrilled!) that anyone is still out there reading it. But it’s such a joy when I DO manage to log into Cruise Critic and someone suddenly pops up with a comment or a reaction to a post. I still get an enormous sense of excitement to think that here I am in the U.K., connecting with someone in the USA, Canada, Australia or elsewhere. Magic.

Night night, sleep tight

And don’t forget to let me know if anyone recognises the ‘full catastrophe’ quote from an old film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

Next time we will make our way over to the island and explore the town, before an afternoon swim.

So sorry I have taken so long with this adventure. What with the arrival of our little grandson, and now I’m undergoing tests for glaucoma I don’t seem to have had as much time as usual, but I will try to do better.

I’m actually surprised (and thrilled!) that anyone is still out there reading it. But it’s such a joy when I DO manage to log into Cruise Critic and someone suddenly pops up with a comment or a reaction to a post. I still get an enormous sense of excitement to think that here I am in the U.K., connecting with someone in the USA, Canada, Australia or elsewhere. Magic.

Night night, sleep tight

And don’t forget to let me know if anyone recognises the ‘full catastrophe’ quote from an old film.

Your Fiji and Hawaii cruises have been the only ones we've been able to enjoy so no need to apologize!  Life happens and there are more important things to tend to.  I wish you well with your medical tests!

• Thanks 1

Still very much enjoying our travels together, especially now that we are in Lahaina!  My favourite place on the three occasions we've been there.  Though, after looking at your photos I do feel very homesick for another cruise.  Hope you have good medical results.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

You are SO right about the long wait to get back. It was nearly an hour! 🙈

How are things in Nevada, Marsden1970? 

We're in the Reno area so we don't get as hot as Las Vegas but it is going to be 86 degrees tomorrow, fortunately very little humidity.  Going down into the 70's for a few days and then back up in the 80's.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marden1970 said:

We're in the Reno area so we don't get as hot as Las Vegas but it is going to be 86 degrees tomorrow, fortunately very little humidity.  Going down into the 70's for a few days and then back up in the 80's.

We are in Reno also in the NW area , we are doing this Itinerary on Ruby in December out of SFO .Surely we will be cruising by then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marden1970 said:

I just realized we will be on the Crown 28 day together ..looking forward to meeting you .

• Like 1