Tallinn in a day, suggestions on what see and do.

Not too many replies so I will add my 2 cents. As you can see from the previous post most of the attractions are in the old town, it is any easy 10 min or so walk from the ship. With a little research Talin is an easy port to do on your own, as we did a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DavietheScot said:

It is a easy city to walk around 

Yes, it is a very easy city to walk around. The Rick Steves walking tour we did was very precise. It said things like turn left and then take 3 steps.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 3:00 AM, CassCruise said:

Apart from walking the streets of the Old Town we caught a taxi to and found the Tallinn Prison a fascinating place to visit also!

How far away was the Tallinn Prison and what made it fascinating?

Did you see anything else of interest outside the city?

On 1/15/2021 at 9:53 AM, sansterre said:

How far away was the Tallinn Prison and what made it fascinating?

Did you see anything else of interest outside the city?

The age of the prison,  a glimpse into a long (and sad) history -  the fact that it was only closed relatively recently and something different to end the day.  It was only a short taxi ride to the terminal -  on a side note it was one of the most memorable because of the taxi driver - we laughed all the way and still think very fondly of him!

Thanks CassCruise and mskaufman.  City of Tallin is lovely and prison is interesting.

I know the city is too hill for me to walk.  But I'm considering a taxi for an hour or two that will drop us off at the top of the town.  I could then take my time and walk back down to the cruise port.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello From New Zealand.

Is anyone able to give me a URL for a Google map showing exactly where in Tallinn that an NCL ship will dock please?

Thank you.

Also is anyone able to suggest where I could go to get common €uro coins exchanged to get some Estonian €uro coins please?

Thank you

Mike

On 3/23/2021 at 12:36 AM, casofilia said:

Hello From New Zealand.

Is anyone able to give me a URL for a Google map showing exactly where in Tallinn that an NCL ship will dock please?

Thank you.

Also is anyone able to suggest where I could go to get common €uro coins exchanged to get some Estonian €uro coins please?

Thank you

Mike

Your "common" €uro coins are good in Tallinn. 🙂 € coins have a common side and a national side and are good in all countries that use the € regardless of what is displayed on the national side.

Info with maps here:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/tallinn-port-46

It is a short walk to Tallinn's old town from the cruise port. 

If you want a Google map, email me and I will send you one. 

Edited by dogs4fun

Tallinn.thumb.jpg.85c03d0275d458eb7c5254b00fd2568f.jpg

This is a Google map of the Port of Tallinn (where cruise ships dock). I have included the walk from the port to Fat Margaret's Tower (about 15-20 minute walk). 

You can easily create your own map with directions - simply enter "Port of Tallinn" as your start point and wherever you wish to visit as your end point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Your "common" €uro coins are good in Tallinn. 🙂 € coins have a common side and a national side and are good in all countries that use the € regardless of what is displayed on the national side.

And of course, if one wants to collect series of euro coins of specific national sides, it should be quite easy to get the Estonian euro coins from about any merchant in Estonia that accepts cash payments.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:28 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Didn't know Tallinn was hilly.  This changes things--we'll have to do a bus tour or some such, since walking up and down hills is pretty much out for my husband.  Any ideas about that?

Tallinn's UNESCO medieval Old Town is divided into two parts -  Upper Town (Toompea Hill) & Lower Town. The walled Old Town is not accessible by car or bus - walking is really the only way to see this magical medieval old town. However, if one begins in the upper town (entrance near Pikk Hermann - you could take a taxi to this entrance at the top of Toompea Hill) and makes their way downhill (it is not steep) one could easily manage to see the sights in the old town without experiencing any climbing whatsoever. There are also many cafes, shops/places to rest along the way.

The old town is covered by cobblestone streets.

The following site has some nice photos of the old town - a few photos will give you an idea of Toompea Hill (like I said, not a steep downhill walk).

If the Old Town is not on your bucket list, there is a HOHO bus that calls at the port. 

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/39/tallinn

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

@dogs4fun & @Hezu

Thank you for your comments and information.

I will try to get some from a shop, I will also look for a bank.  

From NZ I can't get €uro coins from the smaller countries nor can I did them from the larger countries I have visited.   I hope to get then from the three Baltics when we go there on the cruise next year.

Thanks again

Mike

On 3/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, casofilia said:

@dogs4fun & @Hezu

Thank you for your comments and information.

I will try to get some from a shop, I will also look for a bank.  

From NZ I can't get €uro coins from the smaller countries nor can I did them from the larger countries I have visited.   I hope to get then from the three Baltics when we go there on the cruise next year.

I'm not sure about situation in Estonia, but at least in Finland, getting any cash money from a bank branch can be hard as several locations do not offer cash services at all and those which offer may offer the service on limited hours and possibly only on prior reservations. Nowadays banks are more interested in offering loans and investment instruments than traditional cash services. One explanation is that card payments are very popular, so there is less need for cash.

Of course, numismatic shops would happily sell you whole sets of euro coins, but then they want some premium over the face value.

@Hezu

Thank you; I have come across that problem with banks elsewhere.   I will have to see if I can find a talkative and interested shopkeeper!! 

I am only interested in getting coins from circulation and not those for "travellers".

How common are €2 Commemorative coins from Finland in circulation?   We will be in Helsinki on the cruise too.

Thanks 

Mike

31 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Hezu

Thank you; I have come across that problem with banks elsewhere.   I will have to see if I can find a talkative and interested shopkeeper!! 

I am only interested in getting coins from circulation and not those for "travellers".

How common are €2 Commemorative coins from Finland in circulation?   We will be in Helsinki on the cruise too.

Most people threat these as "normal" coins and most have been issued in hundreds of thousands (or even few millions), so you will encounter these now and then. Out of curiosity, I decided to check out what coins I have in my wallet  just now and I happened to have one of these commemorative coins there, although this particular coin is quite dirty and I can't clearly see what the design is. And I happened to have some "foreign" coins too: three German coins, one coin from Ireland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, The Netherlands, Latvia and even Luxembourg. And then 23 "regular" Finnish euro coins. No Estonian coins this time, although these are fairly common in Finland given that (in normal times) there is frequent traffic across Gulf of Finland.