MedJet now transporting Covid patients in certain countries

wrk2cruise

On the main Celebrity board someone mentioned this.  In my prior research a few months ago I was surprised to learn the Medjet wouldn't transport anybody with an infectious disease.  This was important to me as it appears that the cruise lines are planning on disembarking people with covid for isolation, treatment if symptomatic and maybe even quarantine if test positive or in contact with someone who tests positive.   This is my opinion based on what I've been reading and not really the point.   My point is that having this type of coverage is important to me as I don't want to spend a length hospital stay on a Caribbean island.

I didn't see anything on this board regarding this change so thought I'd post.    Now if GeoBlue annual plan would cover Covid treatment I'd be good to go when I feel comfortable with the risk.

Yesterday they made is announcement

MEDJET IS NOW TRANSPORTING FOR COVID-19, FOR TRAVEL IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS. Locations are updated frequently, some restrictions apply:

• 48 Contiguous United States (as of 10/19/20)
  • Canada (as of 10/19/20)
  • Caribbean (as of 10/19/20)
  • Costa Rica (as of 10/30/20)
  • Mexico (as of 10/19/20)

https://medjetassist.com/medjet-blog/blog/2020/01/24/medjet-services-alert-coronavirus

MedJet Assist sent an announcement about this some time ago, at least to members (well, at least to *us*! 🙂).  I don't remember just when, but we've been discussing this with a few others (not on CC) the past couple of weeks or so.

It's a nice start, but I wish it would include all of the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska.

We hope the program works, and eventually they can expand the service.

But mostly, first we need to feel "more safe" on airplanes in general.  Until then, we aren't going anywhere.

(Of course, for now, we are strictly sequestering at home, so we REALLY aren't going anywhere at all.  Thank goodness for those delivery services!)

The MedJet Assist policy change was nice in terms of "new directions" starting up for dealing with the pandemic, but I also worry that there will be problems, and the service will be discontinued.

Now that it seems this "plague" will be continuing for some time into the future, it's getting more difficult to adjust to the sudden halt to our traveling.

We feel VERY fortunate that during the past ~6 years, we had rather suddenly - and very belatedly - starting DOING those "wish list" trips! 

At least we have a lot of wonderful memories and amazing photos to enjoy.

Such odd times...

GC

Unless Medjet has changed their policy any transfer (including COVID) would only happen if you are an inpatient in a hospital and have the agreement of your attending physician (in that hospital).   Given that fewer then 5% (it is probably a much lower percentage) of COVID cases even need inpatient hospitalization this can be a real problem.  Consider if a cruise ship kicks you off (because you test positive) and simply transfer you to a local hotel where they have some kind of arrangement.  Then you are stuck in that country until you are cleared to fly commercial.

A careful reading of the new CDC Guidelines leaves a lot of unanswered questions.  For example, would a cruise line even be allowed to kick a COVID patient off a ship or would they need to keep them in an isolation cabin on the vessel until they return to a USA port?  This is the kind of detail that will not be known until the CDC actually approves a vessel and their detailed plan.  

Hank