Jump to content

Azura Latest News


Recommended Posts

Azura has been tied up at Southampton for around a week now which seems an incredibly long time given the situation and the price to dock, does anyone know why this is? 
 

Also, what’s the latest with her scheduled dry dock that was postponed in April for maintenance and to make her more of a ‘sun‘ ship? 
 

We get married on her next July so are eager to find out the latest news. Maybe @molecrochip or someone has some insight. 
 

thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

She is here until Wednesday.

 

Most, if not all, of the inspection work and maintenance required for her 5 year checks have been done.  Not being in dry dock means she hasn't had a hull paint but that's not a two week job if they book it in before the restart.

 

It has been suggested that the various passenger deck changes are happening in Southampton bit by bit and I believe they are happening now.

 

For those concerned, this isn't due to be a stop because she is leaving the fleet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

She is here until Wednesday.

 

Most, if not all, of the inspection work and maintenance required for her 5 year checks have been done.  Not being in dry dock means she hasn't had a hull paint but that's not a two week job if they book it in before the restart.

 

It has been suggested that the various passenger deck changes are happening in Southampton bit by bit and I believe they are happening now.

 

For those concerned, this isn't due to be a stop because she is leaving the fleet.

This is music to our ears, thanks so much for the info!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

She is here until Wednesday.

 

Most, if not all, of the inspection work and maintenance required for her 5 year checks have been done.  Not being in dry dock means she hasn't had a hull paint but that's not a two week job if they book it in before the restart.

 

It has been suggested that the various passenger deck changes are happening in Southampton bit by bit and I believe they are happening now.

 

For those concerned, this isn't due to be a stop because she is leaving the fleet.

Sorry, to clarify this. The 5 year dry dock includes a hull survey as well as a repaint. Together with a hull paint will probably happen pre-restart but it wont be the 18 days that it otherwise would have been.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really pleased as we loved her on our cruise last April --- she became our new Oceana for the fly / med.

Just sad that our April cruise probably won't happen 😞

 

Edited by Presto2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Really pleased as we loved her on our cruise last April --- she became our new Oceana for the fly / med.

Just sad that our April cruise probably won't happen 😞

 

I’ll keep everything crossed that your cruise does go ahead, we sail on Iona on May 1 so are remaining hopeful. We all need things to look forward to right now and what’s better than a cruise! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It could be due another one before cruising restarts, unless we get a vaccine that works.

I think we all need a bit of hope and optimism right now, I’m sure everyone wants the same thing which is for the world to become some sort of normal and for cruising to restart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 9:50 PM, molecrochip said:

Confirmed: Azura's stay extended to November 10th.

Do we know what exactly has been or is being done for the refit? What exactly do they mean by reconfiguring her decks to be a sun ship?

 

P&O are so quiet with there PR campaigns I must admit, the American big boys  shout it from the rooftops when there changing

something 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, joeecco said:

Do we know what exactly has been or is being done for the refit? What exactly do they mean by reconfiguring her decks to be a sun ship?

 

P&O are so quiet with there PR campaigns I must admit, the American big boys  shout it from the rooftops when there changing

something 😂

Azura is supposed to be getting some changes to her outdoor decks to make her more desirable for year-round sunshine deployments (i.e. not out of the UK). Per the press release:

 

The 12-day dry dock will see Azura get open deck areas reworked to improve outdoor dining venues, new canopies and deck furniture will be added and swimming pools and the poolside areas will be refreshed.

 

Passengers can expect new carpets, soft furnishing and furniture across all public areas, bars and restaurants, while cabins will also get a refresh, "with attention given to beds, bathrooms, woodwork, lighting and interior styling", the line has revealed.

 

P&O Cruises has also confirmed that entertainment venues and children's space H20 will be upgraded; Blue bar, Brodie's, Malabar and the poolside Terrace Bar will offer draught beer on tap and The Retreat and The Oasis Spa will offer new treatments and spa experiences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Azura is supposed to be getting some changes to her outdoor decks to make her more desirable for year-round sunshine deployments (i.e. not out of the UK). Per the press release:

 

The 12-day dry dock will see Azura get open deck areas reworked to improve outdoor dining venues, new canopies and deck furniture will be added and swimming pools and the poolside areas will be refreshed.

 

Passengers can expect new carpets, soft furnishing and furniture across all public areas, bars and restaurants, while cabins will also get a refresh, "with attention given to beds, bathrooms, woodwork, lighting and interior styling", the line has revealed.

 

P&O Cruises has also confirmed that entertainment venues and children's space H20 will be upgraded; Blue bar, Brodie's, Malabar and the poolside Terrace Bar will offer draught beer on tap and The Retreat and The Oasis Spa will offer new treatments and spa experiences.

Fantastic! Is this replacing furnishing and carpets with new replicas or a complete new design? Do you have any idea if P&O are going to release images etc soon? Thanks for the info! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to play devil's advocate, but I can't help but wonder how much the current and planned pause in operations will effect the scope of this dry dock?  I can't see there being a massive investment in soft features (i.e. furniture, carpets) as well as hard features (i.e. paint, mechanical) given the level of financial impact involved.

I guess I'm just used to having expectations lowered in this current climate...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Not to play devil's advocate, but I can't help but wonder how much the current and planned pause in operations will effect the scope of this dry dock?  I can't see there being a massive investment in soft features (i.e. furniture, carpets) as well as hard features (i.e. paint, mechanical) given the level of financial impact involved.

I guess I'm just used to having expectations lowered in this current climate...

I was originally thinking the same as you, although Azura is apparently receiving all the said dry dock as we speak in Southampton, she also had her stay there extended. So now I think it’s much more likely and I’m keeping everything crossed haha! 
 

I have no idea how refits work but as a guess, maybe they’d already signed off on the contract before the pause so they’ve stayed committed? Just a thought. Would love to actually be in the know like some people on here 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Not to play devil's advocate, but I can't help but wonder how much the current and planned pause in operations will effect the scope of this dry dock?  I can't see there being a massive investment in soft features (i.e. furniture, carpets) as well as hard features (i.e. paint, mechanical) given the level of financial impact involved.

I guess I'm just used to having expectations lowered in this current climate...

There is no real option to reduce the quality of the carpets, they have to be of a certain standard to comply with marine legislations, but they could always decide to do not so many areas. 

So much work would have already gone into the planning of this, I would expect the works to be carried out as per contract, it would just be a matter of when. 

I do hope so, so many associated trades are banking on it. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they get it ready/sorted & covid is brought under control soon, we are due on board in July also for 2 weeks (never cruised with P&O before).  Friends & our daughter were on her last year in the Carribean and said the ship is identical to Crown/Emerald princess so we are looking forward & counting the days ....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contracts were already signed and materials already ordered, and in some cases, delivered.

 

The issue was more to do with the yard being closed. Normally the tradespeople are board in Southampton and begin work as soon as passengers are disembarked. They continue throughout the drydock and disembark when the ship returns to Southampton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is no real option to reduce the quality of the carpets, they have to be of a certain standard to comply with marine legislations, but they could always decide to do not so many areas. 

So much work would have already gone into the planning of this, I would expect the works to be carried out as per contract, it would just be a matter of when. 

I do hope so, so many associated trades are banking on it. 

Andy 


I don’t suppose you have any more than a passing interest in the carpets? 😇🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...