Azura Latest News

joeecco

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

If all arrivals were required to isolate for 10 days in hotels you could say it should apply to cruise passengers if the ship has called at any foreign port, minus the number of days transit from the last port. However the new isolation rules look like they may be only a partial solution involving certain countries and I find this approach worrying, hopefully someone will explain the science behind the decision.

Science is simple - they believe the Brazilian / South American version to be more deadly. That’s why the countries chosen are in that area / have close links (e.g. Portugal)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Science is simple - they believe the Brazilian / South American version to be more deadly. That’s why the countries chosen are in that area / have close links (e.g. Portugal)

Well I am confused. If the Brazil/SA variant turns out to be more deadly so they restrict travel from those areas why are there proposals to alter the already promised vaccine rollout cohorts after groups 1 to 4 are jabbed so that those 16.2 million in the 50 to 69 groups may find themselves pushed down the queue, especially when our home grown variant may be 30% more deadly to the over 60 groups. Also, direct travel is not the only route to the UK. It only takes one to start an epidemic.  So is there going to be an 'acceptable' trade of in extra deaths etc. IMO it stinks 😠

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well I am confused. If the Brazil/SA variant turns out to be more deadly so they restrict travel from those areas why are there proposals to alter the already promised vaccine rollout cohorts after groups 1 to 4 are jabbed so that those 16.2 million in the 50 to 69 groups may find themselves pushed down the queue, especially when our home grown variant may be 30% more deadly to the over 60 groups. Also, direct travel is not the only route to the UK. It only takes one to start an epidemic.  So is there going to be an 'acceptable' trade of in extra deaths etc. IMO it stinks 😠

I thought it was mainly the Labour opposition and the teachers unions that were advocating that teachers should jump the queue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Boris is holding firm at the moment and says he's keeping to the scientists' recommendations for phases 1-9 of the vaccine roll-out.

What puzzles me is that schools are not shut (or limiting numbers) to protect teachers, so I can't see the need for making them a priority (not teacher bashing - fair few of them in the family). They are shut to prevent onward transmission when the little darlings go home and infect grandma, and vaccinating the teachers will do nothing to prevent this.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emam said:

Did you all see Azura on the news tonight. Just a glimpse in the background.

Was that when they were talking about the last coal being mined? I was only half watching/listening.Pity I missed seeing Azura

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

Was that when they were talking about the last coal being mined? I was only half watching/listening.Pity I missed seeing Azura

Yes that was it. OH said he could see her behind them, but I couldn't. Then right before it finished there was a clear view of the aft balconies, but it was in the distance.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, molecrochip said:

I believe it was shipyard in Spain that pulled dry dock due to local restrictions.

Azura cannot legally sail with paying passengers until she has her five year dry dock checks. (Unless a Covid easement is put in place but this is unlikely).

As for which sailings happen, in early December, post lockdown, post vaccine start, I heard yesterday as restart announcement day. Obviously, this new variant and further lockdown make this a bad time to do such a positive announcement. Also U.K. gov will not announce the relaxing of cruising restrictions until they know this new variant is under control.

So, everything’s back up in the air. That said, the underlying positivity driven by the vaccination program remains.

Cruise lines can cope with passengers getting Covid like they do with the flu or norovirus. What they cannot deal with is mass intensive care or high risk cases leading to fatalities. The vaccine should help take the mass of these later cases out of the equation. Cruise lines can then restart knowing they can deal with the mild, plus odd, severe case. 

Its with us to stay, so the ideological idea of a Covid free cruise, is on par with a ordinary cold free cruise. We adapt.

It looks like the Navantia dry docks in Ferrol and Cadiz are now back in action. Hopefully another step along the long road to restart. 

Molecrochip said Azura is at Tyneside until the end of February, which is when the list was up to. As lockdown is easing I was hoping that I might get to visit her after all. So on looking for a departure date, I see she is booked in until the 31st May. So no cruises for her before June.

I haven't seen any comments from molecrochip lately. Hope you are okay and not in any trouble or ill.

Edited by emam
Autofill
  • Like 2

I will be going to the Ford Garage. I have just been looking on maps and following the road. I thought it might be the customs house as I think Graham mentioned that before (never been to it but might have passed it once years ago) . The last time I went along that road I turned into the dock by mistake, so it was good to follow the road and know that I turn at the second roundabout after the garage. Good to hear it's only a short drive, so  will see how things go when we have to go to the garage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, emam said:

I will be going to the Ford Garage. I have just been looking on maps and following the road. I thought it might be the customs house as I think Graham mentioned that before (never been to it but might have passed it once years ago) . The last time I went along that road I turned into the dock by mistake, so it was good to follow the road and know that I turn at the second roundabout after the garage. Good to hear it's only a short drive, so  will see how things go when we have to go to the garage.

The small Ford garage on the riverside road at Laygate has been pulled down now.

I used to turn left before the Jennings(Ford)garage and park about 50 yards from there which is almost directly across the river from the terminal but there is a fence that blocks your view a little.

The customs House is about 1 mile further along the road with great unobstructed views across the River Tyne.

Edited by grapau27

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The Ford garage on the riverside road at Laygate has been pulled down now.

I used to turn left before the Jennings(Ford)garage and park about 50 yards from there which is almost directly across the river from the terminal but there is a fence that blocks your view a little.

The customs House is about 1 mile further along the road with great unobstructed views across the River Tyne.

It's on the A194 over the road from the Premier Inn. Took DH works van there yesterday and then he brought me home and took the car to work near to airport. So it's a bit of a logistical nightmare. Wouldn't be surprised if plans scuppered and we have to go in the morning before my 8.40 am vaccine at Nightingale.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emam said:

It's on the A194 over the road from the Premier Inn. Took DH works van there yesterday and then he brought me home and took the car to work near to airport. So it's a bit of a logistical nightmare. Wouldn't be surprised if plans scuppered and we have to go in the morning before my 8.40 am vaccine at Nightingale.

Yes that big garage is still there.

Slightly further along turn left at the second roundabout and take the riverside road.There used to be a small Ford garage a friend worked at on the riverside road and behind it you could look straight across the river to the cruise terminal.

It is only about 2 miles from that Premier Inn to the customs House which is on the left by the riverside.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes that big garage is still there.

Slightly further along turn left at the second roundabout and take the riverside road.There used to be a small Ford garage a friend worked at on the riverside road and behind it you could look straight across the river to the cruise terminal.

It is only about 2 miles from that Premier Inn to the customs House which is on the left by the riverside.

Thank you.

• Like 1

According to the Port of Tyne website, she is booked there until the end of May. However it may just be a placeholder until they know where she is going. I thought she was going in for a refit so that doesn’t add up!

8 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

According to the Port of Tyne website, she is booked there until the end of May. However it may just be a placeholder until they know where she is going. I thought she was going in for a refit so that doesn’t add up!

There is a big cruise berth there as well as the Ferry berth so a good place for Azura to stay.

How sad that we are all so eager to just LOOK at a cruise ship! We’ve got serious cruise withdrawal symptoms. Can’t remember the last time we went this long without being on a ship. Heard today that the Odyssey of the Seas is going to start cruising out of Haifa in May. Israeli citizens only. I assume that’s because their vaccination programme has been so successful. Us next?????  

• Like 4

We have a holiday booked in Weymouth for September and I'm hoping we won't be able to see any cruise ships from there as hopefully it means they will be sailing! We have a cruise booked in October

• Like 2