Car Rental Civitavecchia to Tuscany to FCO airport

xbankguy

We are looking to rent a car post cruise in Civitavecchia so we can drive to Tuscany and spend 4 days there after which we would drive to FCO airport and drop off the car.  Any suggestions, tips, rental company recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tick Tock

I would suggest you take a look at both Autoeurope and Kemwel (sister companies ) who are consolidators (discounters) for some major brands like Europcar and Hertz.   It does take some logistical planning on getting from a ship to the rental car dealers (they will not pick up inside the port).  We have used the internal port bus to get from the ship to the Lago della Pace transfer point from where I have walked to Europecar (Hertz is a bit further).  There are some other dealers in the area although I do not know who will survive COVID.  

In Italy it is usually smart to find a rental deal that has a zero deductable on collision.  You will also need an International Drivers Permit (IDP) which you can purchase at any CAA location.  The IDP is technically needed to drive in Italy although most rental offices never ask to see the document.  But if you get stopped by the police you could get hassled or fined for not having the IDP.

Hank

We have never rented in CIv but we have many rentals in Italy.  Mostly one way rentals.

I would second Autoeurope or Kemwel.  We have found them to be very competitive. Especially good for one way rentals.  You do pay in advance BUT their rental rates, like other car rental firms, can change in a similar manner to cruise prices.  It is not uncommon for us to have one or two price decreases.  You simply call them up and your saving will be refunded immediately.

We have also had a issue with a rental firm regarding a 75 GBP fuel charge when dropping a car off at a closed location.   We called Autoeurope.  They resolved it to our satisfaction within five business days. 

Our experience is that prices are sometimes different between Autoeurope and Kemwel.  IF you have booked on one, and subsequently see a lower price on the other all that is needed is a phone call.   The lower price will be honored by either as long a you are comparing like for like. 

Edited by iancal

5 hours ago, iancal said:

We have never rented in CIv but we have many rentals in Italy.  Mostly one way rentals.

I would second Autoeurope or Kemwel.  We have found them to be very competitive. Especially good for one way rentals.  You do pay in advance BUT their rental rates, like other car rental firms, can change in a similar manner to cruise prices.  It is not uncommon for us to have one or two price decreases.  You simply call them up and your saving will be refunded immediately.

We have also had a issue with a rental firm regarding a 75 GBP fuel charge when dropping a car off at a closed location.   We called Autoeurope.  They resolved it to our satisfaction within five business days. 

Our experience is that prices are sometimes different between Autoeurope and Kemwel.  IF you have booked on one, and subsequently see a lower price on the other all that is needed is a phone call.   The lower price will be honored by either as long a you are comparing like for like. 

Last year we picked up a rental car from Europecar at FCO and noticed that our invoice was about 100 Euros more then our Autoeurope contract.  When I complained at the counter they simply shrugged and said that the price was in the computer and we could deal with it when we turned the car in ..about 10 days later in Civitavecchia.  I immediately called AutoEurope (they have a toll free number to their USA office) and they tried to reason with the Europcar clerk...to no avail.  They suggested I try to deal with it at turn-in...and if that did not work to contact them after we returned home and they would get us a credit.  When I turned the car in I had plenty of time so again called AutoEurope who got on the phone with the Europcar clerk to plead our case.  The Europcar clerk made the appropriate rate adjustment.  Bottom line was that it was very helpful having Autoeurope to give us support.  We have previously had other rate issues in Europe and both Autoeurope and Kemwel (they are actually sister companies) have always made it right.  

Hank

We have often rented in Civitavecchia.  Not that easy getting to from the ship.  Last fall we had a bit of a bait and switch downgrade, I insisted and we got upgraded to an Alfa Romeo.   We have used Autoeurope for over twenty years, and yes they make things right, either on the spot with a phone call.   They once even gave us a credit when we waited ninety minutes in FCO for a car.  Highly recommend.  

And yes,  get the international Drivers license for Italy,  we’ve had traffic check stops twice,  and they wanted it,  and the machine guns are very intimidating!  We were glad we had it. 

• 2 weeks later...

As an aside, IF you are using your credit card insurance be prepared for a credit card hold.  Our experience is anywhere from 300E to 3000E.  On our longer rentals the hold has always disappeared from our on line credit card statement after 7 or 8 days.

Edited by iancal

• 1 month later...

In 2018 after a cruise, we rented a car in Civitavecchia.  We spent some time in Tuscany and flew home from FCO,  

At the large port of Civitavecchia, you (and your luggage) take a bus from your ship to the port transportation center.  Be advised that it is too far to walk.  Europcar and Avis are located across the street from the transportation center.

If you are planning to stay at the airport the night before your flight, I suggest you forgo a boring airport hotel and stay at the charming fishing town of Fiumicino.....only a 5 minute drive to airport.