Scheduling Flight time in Rome

artvlay

Taking a cruise in September and want to figure what time I should schedule a flight after the cruise. 

Anthem of the Seas is scheduled to return to Civitavechia at 5am. We are going to have a car take us to the airport (FCO). We are Diamond Plus members so we should be able to get off early. 

How early should we schedule flight? 

Thank you 

Edited by artvlay

• artvlay changed the title to Scheduling Flight time in Rome

This has been discussed many times.   As when ships are cleared and fall storms can affect things unexpectedly, I recommend an afternoon departure or better yet, stay a night in Rome or at airport and extend your trip with a day or more in Rome.  Having a private transfer is a Great idea.  

FCO airport can be very chaotic and you need to allow minimum three hours arrival prior to flight time.   At times,  passport control can have huge lines.  So you would likely be safe with anytime after noon,  as you need to allow approximately an hour for the transfer.   

Sometimes it’s nice not to have to worry about all of this and take a more leisurely approach.  We often go to Tuscany for a few nights before flying home. 

Noon used to be a safe minimum time.  But we have never had a problem with 11am flights since we simply arrange for private transfers (generally less expensive and faster then cruise line transfers).  Arranging for a 7am transfer will get you to FCO in plenty of time for an 11am flight.  That being said, none of us have a clue as to what the post cruise world will be like in the near future as COVID permeates everything.  So it is great advice to err on the the conservative side.  In fact, I doubt if DW and I would even consider flying home the same day as disembarkation until we are well past this COVID thing and we all have a better understanding of the new normal.

Hank

• Like 2

We have flown home via Rome several times. 12:10 should work.  To be safe that is an airport where I would take three hours seriously.  You might not need it.... but.  We have been there when there has not been a line but more of a mob pushing to get into the line.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:52 AM, Hlitner said:

Noon used to be a safe minimum time.  But we have never had a problem with 11am flights since we simply arrange for private transfers (generally less expensive and faster then cruise line transfers).  Arranging for a 7am transfer will get you to FCO in plenty of time for an 11am flight.  That being said, none of us have a clue as to what the post cruise world will be like in the near future as COVID permeates everything.  So it is great advice to err on the the conservative side.  In fact, I doubt if DW and I would even consider flying home the same day as disembarkation until we are well past this COVID thing and we all have a better understanding of the new normal.

Hank

Hank,

Is there a private transfer that you use?  We have a 11:05am flight out of FCO May 22, 2021 if the cruise is a go.  thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, galelynn said:

Hank,

Is there a private transfer that you use?  We have a 11:05am flight out of FCO May 22, 2021 if the cruise is a go.  thank you in advance.

Yes.  My own preference is Rome Cabs (now also known as Stefano's Rome Cabs) which you can find online at Romecabs.com.  Another popular company is called "Rome in Limo"  romeinlimo.com which comes highly recommended from many others here on CC and some personal friends.

Regarding transfers, the price per person really drops if you can get 1 or 2 other couples to share.  In the past I have simply posted here on the CC Roll Call and quickly found others who wanted to join us and transfer at the same time.  My personal preference is no more then 6 persons since the larger the group the more hassles in getting everyone off the ship and meeting at the proper time.

Hank