Luck with single supplement?

Jim Avery

I haven't seen too much offer on Viking Oceans of single supplements.  We are hoping to go to Alaska next Summer and take our child....  He's 13 but can easily pass for 18....  Ok, just kidding here.  Put down the clubs.  It is our son but it would be for his 40th birthday.  Yes, we had him in elementary school....  Still, not much info on single supplements out there and, realistically, if it works, I imagine strong demand for Viking Oceans and no need for them to offer special deals.  Just wondering what others have found. 

11 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I haven't seen too much offer on Viking Oceans of single supplements.  We are hoping to go to Alaska next Summer and take our child....  He's 13 but can easily pass for 18....  Ok, just kidding here.  Put down the clubs.  It is our son but it would be for his 40th birthday.  Yes, we had him in elementary school....  Still, not much info on single supplements out there and, realistically, if it works, I imagine strong demand for Viking Oceans and no need for them to offer special deals.  Just wondering what others have found. 

Jim, I'm in the UK, but I know that we received a promotional email very recently about 50% reductions on single supplements. Sorry I've looked and have clearly binned it otherwise I would have forwarded it to you.

Have you contacted Viking directly about this? I'd do so if I were you, especially as there has been an increase in promotional offers recently, well certainly on this side of the pond! Good luck!

'Just because you’re travelling solo doesn’t mean you have to pay for the privilege. Right now, you can save up to 50% on our single supplements, on a fantastic choice of 2021 river and ocean journeys, including those listed below. A Viking river or ocean cruise is a wonderful way to meet new, like-minded travellers. Our open-seating dining enables you to chat with different people every day, and our daily excursions are a great way to explore together.'

That is from the UK email dated 31st October.   They gave 4 cruises that it would apply to and a telephone number to enquire for others.   Are you signed up for the emails that will give you a heads up on special offers?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Strangford said:

'Just because you’re travelling solo doesn’t mean you have to pay for the privilege. Right now, you can save up to 50% on our single supplements, on a fantastic choice of 2021 river and ocean journeys, including those listed below. A Viking river or ocean cruise is a wonderful way to meet new, like-minded travellers. Our open-seating dining enables you to chat with different people every day, and our daily excursions are a great way to explore together.'

That is from the UK email dated 31st October.   They gave 4 cruises that it would apply to and a telephone number to enquire for others.   Are you signed up for the emails that will give you a heads up on special offers?

Viking does not market the same enticements in every market at the same time. The single supplement offer is good only in the UK market (and perhaps AU/NZ but I didn't check). Also, it is limited to certain cabin classes, usually the least expensive (see the details below).

Compare the current Booking Terms and Conditions for US vs UK. They show that UK market is offering a single supplement discount while the US isn't.

US:

PRICE GUARANTEE
Once you have paid in full for your trip, you are safe from any additional charges. Airfare increases, currency fluctuations, increased fuel surcharges, new government taxes—none of these will apply to you.

2021-2023 OCEAN CRUISE AND AIR SAVINGS: Offer applies to bookings made from November 01, 2020-November 30, 2020. Special cruise fares plus FREE air valid on select 2021-2023 departures of Atlantic Crossing & West Indies to Spain. Airfares vary on other gateways & departures. Air does not have to be purchased to get cruise\tour offer. All prices are in US dollars and for US residents only. Additional restrictions may apply. Book by November 30, 2020. 2021: Pay in full by December 31, 2020. 2022 & 2023: Pay in full by March 31, 2021. Offer expires November 30, 2020.

GENERAL RESTRICTIONS
Cruise fares listed are cruise only in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy. Single supplement savings are off applicable rates. Cruise fares listed are valid for U.S. residents only. Cruise ship fuel surcharge may apply. All fares and offers are for new bookings only and are subject to availability, may not combinable with other offers except Viking Explorer Society Travel Credits and Viking Referral Rewards, are capacity-controlled and may be withdrawn at any time without prior notice. Special fares are based upon published full brochure fares; cruise fares do not include pre-paid charges, optional facilities and service fees, and personal charges, as defined in the terms and conditions of the Passenger Ticket Contract which may be viewed elsewhere on this website. Full brochure fares may not have resulted in actual sales in all stateroom categories and may not have been in effect during the last 90 days. Promotional fares may remain in effect after the expiration date. Air promotion applies to roundtrip flights only from select Viking Cruises U.S. gateways and includes airport-to-ship or hotel transfers, air taxes and air fuel surcharges. Roundtrip airport transfers are included when air is purchased with a cruise or cruisetour package; if air is not purchased from Viking, transfers may be purchased separately. All transfers must be in conjunction with a Viking-purchased cruise, cruisetour, land extension or extra hotel nights. Viking reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees and surcharges at any time. For up-to-date prices, please call Viking or your Travel Agent. The cruise ship fuel surcharge is additional revenue to Viking Cruises, as are any additional charges relating to currency fluctuation other than for fully paid cruise fares and full fares, which fluctuations are beyond our control. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Complete terms and conditions may be found in the Passenger Ticket Contract.

AIR UPGRADE: Upgrade to Premium Economy air from $999 per person or Business Class air from $3,499 per person based on select gateways and dates. Premium upgrades may not be available on all departures. Additional airline-imposed baggage charges may apply; for more information visit Airline Luggage Restrictions. Air prices are per person based on cruise/cruisetour check-in date and include transfers plus all government taxes/fees of approximately $160 and air fuel surcharges. Air seats are limited; airfares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until full payment of air is received. For more information about customized air services and US gateways, visit the Viking Air Plus

NOTE: International flights depart the U.S. one day prior to check-in date. Paid Business or Premium Economy Class may require travel in economy on flights within North America or Europe. Premium economy is limited to specific airlines and we may not be able to accommodate based on aircraft type and availability. Roundtrip airport transfers are included when air is purchased with a cruise or cruisetour package; if air is not purchased from Viking, transfers may be purchased separately. All transfers must be in conjunction with a Viking-purchased cruise, cruisetour, land extension or extra hotel nights.

UK:

EARLY BOOKING DISCOUNT: Discount is per person, based on double occupancy. Single supplement savings are off applicable rates. Free gratuities cannot be combined with any other special offer or discount. Offer expires 31 October 2020.

All prices shown above are per person based on double occupancy.

Single supplements:
2020: European Longships: E: 50%. F, D – ES: 100%; Elbe: E: 50%. D – AA: 100%; Douro: E: 50%. F, D – AA: 100%; Russia: DX: 50%. CX – AA: 100%; Ukraine: DX: 50%. EX, CX – AA: 100%; China: All Grades: 100%; Mekong: All Grades: 100%

Flight Upgrades:
Club Europe/Business class upgrades from £350 per person (subject to availability).

GENERAL RESTRICTIONS: Cruise fares listed include return flights from London in GBP and are per person, based on double occupancy. Cruise fares listed are valid for UK residents only. Cruise ship fuel surcharge may apply. All fares and offers are for new bookings only as of 01 October 2020 and are subject to availability. Discounts are based upon published full brochure fares; cruise fares do not include pre-paid charges, optional facilities and service fees, and personal charges, as defined in the terms and conditions and booking conditions which may be viewed elsewhere on this website. Promotional fares may remain in effect after the expiration date. Viking reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees and surcharges at any time. For up-to-date prices, please call Viking or your Travel Agent. Additional terms and conditions may apply. Complete terms and conditions may be found in the booking conditions.

• Like 1

Jim

My DMIL was able to “only” pay 150% for our TA in 2019.  We booked in December for a March cruise when they offered “free” air as a promo.  I’ve looked back but unfortunately cannot find it the reduced supplement was offered or if we had to ask for it.  

53 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Jim

My DMIL was able to “only” pay 150% for our TA in 2019.  We booked in December for a March cruise when they offered “free” air as a promo.  I’ve looked back but unfortunately cannot find it the reduced supplement was offered or if we had to ask for it.  

Hey, it NEVER hurts to ask.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Nope!  Though usually with Viking I get a no.  We keep asking for some consideration when they have a free air promo that we don’t want....they tell us we don’t have to take the free air.  LOL

That always has been their policy. Here's how I see it: Air fare has always been quoted separately and has always been optional. If you don't take the $500 off airfare deal, they don't take money off your cruise fare because you didn't take air deal, so why then should they be giving you money if you decide not to take free air fare?  It might be different if they were package under one price but they aren't.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh I understand your point but since they are trying to sell me on buying a cruise.....

That is the thing. They aren't trying to "sell" you.  Booking a Viking cruise is not like buying a car. The price is the price, just like when you go to the supermarket or Macy's or Tiffany's. Viking marches to the beat of its own drummer and this is just one of the many things that Viking does differently from the competition.