Cruise from Auckland

OmaOna

Lots of people do.

We've done three NZ cruises, Auckland to Sydney, flying from Sydney and spending a couple of days in Auckland first. On all of those cruises there were people from the US, UK, and other overseas places who flew into NZ for the cruise.

Since Auckland is the main (only) embarkation port in NZ for cruises most people fly in to Auckland, however if you wish to do some land travel first in the South Island, you might consider flights that arrive in Christchurch.

Most NZ cruises that embark in Auckland are one way itineraries to Australia. There are very few, if any, cruises that only cruise around NZ, so you would need to book an open jaw ticket ie departing from a different city than you arrived in.

• Thanks 1

I flew from Sydney to Auckland after a cruise. Auckland is easy to navigate and enjoy for a few days.  We took a tour of Hobbiton which was one of the highlights of my trip (maybe my favorite.)  We also spent a day at the amazing Auckland Museum.  It has to be one of the best museums in the world dedicated to a huge area of the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand.  We would return in a heartbeat to see it again.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Yup, so what's your question?

I am cruising from NZ to Seattle.   39 day.  I am wondering about air to NZ.  Looks like a horrible amount of hours.  Flying out of Tampa.  Just curious about your experience. 

We flew Premium Economy on Air New NZ from Chicago to Auckland on a 787.  Lots of leg room, wide seats, foot rests, and great service.  As I recall flight time was 16.5 hours.  I wouldn't want to do it in economy but premium economy was just fine.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OmaOna said:

I am cruising from NZ to Seattle.   39 day.  I am wondering about air to NZ.  

Air NZ from west coast USA is your best option, but when???

NZ borders are closed for the foreseeable future to everyone except returning Kiwis. 

Another option is flying to Hawaii. Spend a few days in Hawaii and then fly nonstop to Auckland. The flight to Auckland is a daytime flight of 8 1/2 hrs. The time change is only one hour (in Auckland's summer) so you're much less jet lagged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, ericosmith said:

We flew Premium Economy on Air New NZ from Chicago to Auckland on a 787.  Lots of leg room, wide seats, foot rests, and great service.  As I recall flight time was 16.5 hours.  I wouldn't want to do it in economy but premium economy was just fine.  

Did you use Viking Air? We're in the Twin Cities. If you used Viking Air were you offered an upgrade and at what price over the economy ticket? Thanks for your response.

7 hours ago, rnrcruzin said:

Did you use Viking Air? We're in the Twin Cities. If you used Viking Air were you offered an upgrade and at what price over the economy ticket? Thanks for your response.

No, we were on Celebrity and used their air.  As I recall the price was roughly double the economy ticket.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 2:33 AM, Markanddonna said:

I flew from Sydney to Auckland after a cruise. Auckland is easy to navigate and enjoy for a few days.  We took a tour of Hobbiton which was one of the highlights of my trip (maybe my favorite.)  We also spent a day at the amazing Auckland Museum.  It has to be one of the best museums in the world dedicated to a huge area of the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand.  We would return in a heartbeat to see it again.

Agree Auckland War Memorial Museum is amazing and well worth a day visit.  As is the Te Papa Museum in Wellington, NZ.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, OmaOna said:

I am cruising from NZ to Seattle.   39 day.  I am wondering about air to NZ.  Looks like a horrible amount of hours.  Flying out of Tampa.  Just curious about your experience. 

Were you planning to sail on the Oosterdam on March 28?  If so, are you now rebooked on the March 31, 2022 sailing?