Leaving the ship in port

KEN W

Will we be allowed to leave the ship in port on our own to just walk around in port? My guess is no. Otherwise they would have to test everyone each time you came back while in port. Cruise line personnel with small groups or excursions with the line only. If you leave the group, you won't be allowed back on.

My thoughts on this are that it will be required when cruising restarts. Covid testing people when they return to the ship would be useless. You won’t test positive hours after you get infected. At the same time I’m very skeptical that a group excursion from a cruise ship will be less likely to catch Covid than a couple exploring on their own.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

My thoughts on this are that it will be required when cruising restarts. Covid testing people when they return to the ship would be useless. You won’t test positive hours after you get infected. At the same time I’m very skeptical that a group excursion from a cruise ship will be less likely to catch Covid than a couple exploring on their own.

Good point. How much of this is for show? And will the cruise lines try their best to keep it in place as their excursions have such a mice profit margin for them?

39 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

You can only get off for a ship's tour on the European cruises that have restarted. Doesn't mean the US will be the same.

Although... the “bubble” concept does seem to be catching on -I would not want either the cost or the limitation involved in such limited port calls, but I can see that as likely requirement in early sailings.  Just one more reason why I am not inclined to rush back on cruise ships.

I'm not booking anything until I see what restrictions are getting on, getting off, what's going on on the ship, and what the rules are when in port. To much there I would not like. Things might be tough with Covid spiking the next 3-4 months. Hopefully there will be a vaccine ready in the coming months. w/o that I'm not getting on a cruise ship.....at my age with Diabetes, I'm not taking any chances. Living in Minnesota it's going to be tough not getting on a warm weather cruise this coming winter. 

Edited by KEN W
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 2:26 AM, sanger727 said:

... Covid testing people when they return to the ship would be useless. You won’t test positive hours after you get infected...

I think this is why the Viking Sky is planning on having capacity to test everyone, every day.  This is really the only way to minimize the spread of outbreaks in an environment like a cruise ship where people are getting on and off the ship throughout the process.

You have to assume someone is going to get sick and do everything you can do to minimize the impact.

I suspect the 'cruise bubble' excursions are at least partially to protect port residents from possibly infected cruisers; some ports may make it a requirement before allowing ships to dock.   Many island destinations don't have the medical infrastructure to handle large outbreaks that might result from just one infected cruiser wandering around wherever he/she chooses without any restriction.   

9 hours ago, Kartgv said:

I suspect the 'cruise bubble' excursions are at least partially to protect port residents from possibly infected cruisers; some ports may make it a requirement before allowing ships to dock.   Many island destinations don't have the medical infrastructure to handle large outbreaks that might result from just one infected cruiser wandering around wherever he/she chooses without any restriction.   

I don't disagree, but please explain how these cruise bubble excursions will have absolutely no contact with others at their destination.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't disagree, but please explain how these cruise bubble excursions will have absolutely no contact with others at their destination.

The goal is to facilitate contact tracing. So, there will be some contact with others at the destination.  However, it is a controlled amount of exposure. 

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

The goal is to facilitate contact tracing. So, there will be some contact with others at the destination.  However, it is a controlled amount of exposure. 

Please explain how they will control who they come in contact with in the port? Are they going to have security officers with guns or cattle prods moving others out of the way? Are they going to make the host country quarantine all natives when the cruise ships come in?

32 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Please explain how they will control who they come in contact with in the port? Are they going to have security officers with guns or cattle prods moving others out of the way? Are they going to make the host country quarantine all natives when the cruise ships come in?

Well, if they use ship sponsored excursions only, the passengers leave the ship and board buses with pre-screened drivers and tour leaders. They are taken to a place where the staff has been screened and tested. That place is closed off to only cruise passengers. No one can leave that designated place. When it's over, everyone piles back onto the buses and return to the ship.

Exposure limited to a select few pre-screened people.

Edited by cruizergal70

21 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Well, if they use ship sponsored excursions only, the passengers leave the ship and board buses with pre-screened drivers and tour leaders. They are taken to a place where the staff has been screened and tested. That place is closed off to only cruise passengers. No one can leave that designated place. When it's over, everyone piles back onto the buses and return to the ship.

That sounds like a really exciting excursion.  Actually it sounds more like a prison transfer bus trip to me.

DON

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

So, if they go to the Caribbean, beaches will be cleared of all others????

So if they are in Europe, the Vatican Museum will be cleared of all others??? Or maybe the Hermitage in St. Petersburg will be cleared of all others???? Etc., etc.???? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, if they go to the Caribbean, beaches will be cleared of all others????

So if they are in Europe, the Vatican Museum will be cleared of all others??? Or maybe the Hermitage in St. Petersburg will be cleared of all others???? Etc., etc.???? 

Did you spend any time actually thinking about these scenarios, or did you just pull them out of your......hat?

Beaches would be possible with advance arrangements for a specific private area. 

As for Museums in Europe- many are closed. Those that are open are by a limited number of timed tickets only. So the excursion buys tickets for a specific time slot, and they don't expose the other museum guests to potential contamination. 

Far from ideal. And certainly not how I would choose to spend my port time. But still possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Did you spend any time actually thinking about these scenarios, or did you just pull them out of your......hat?

Beaches would be possible with advance arrangements for a specific private area. 

As for Museums in Europe- many are closed. Those that are open are by a limited number of timed tickets only. So the excursion buys tickets for a specific time slot, and they don't expose the other museum guests to potential contamination. 

Far from ideal. And certainly not how I would choose to spend my port time. But still possible. 

Far from ideal is an understatement.

How are you going to close off parts of the beach to others? Armed security guards?

And you expect museums to not allow anyone but cruise passengers in when the ships are in the port? I can foresee more and more ports just not wanting ships. And what about places you might not enter but observe from outside? Are you going to clear all roads and sidewalks near them?

And are these going to be the dreaded 50 passenger busses? Too large. Or small busses coming in one after another and say close a museum to all others for the entire day?

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Far from ideal is an understatement.

How are you going to close off parts of the beach to others? Armed security guards?

And you expect museums to not allow anyone but cruise passengers in when the ships are in the port? I can foresee more and more ports just not wanting ships. And what about places you might not enter but observe from outside? Are you going to clear all roads and sidewalks near them?

And are these going to be the dreaded 50 passenger busses? Too large. Or small busses coming in one after another and say close a museum to all others for the entire day?

I give up. You're obviously trying to cling to extremes, so there's no point in trying to open your mind. And obviously have never seen a private beach or know how timed attraction tickets work to minimize group sizes. So, yes, what you suggest is exactly what the ships will do. Excursions will resemble groups of lepers herded from place to place and the public at large warned to avoid them at all costs. There will be armed guards with megaphones to keep the populace safe. Satisfied?

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

I give up. You're obviously trying to cling to extremes, so there's no point in trying to open your mind. And obviously have never seen a private beach or know how timed attraction tickets work to minimize group sizes. So, yes, what you suggest is exactly what the ships will do. Excursions will resemble groups of lepers herded from place to place and the public at large warned to avoid them at all costs. There will be armed guards with megaphones to keep the populace safe. Satisfied?

A good effort to clarify - but there are always people who can not, or will not, attempt to understand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I wouldnt leave the ship at all. I would rather enjoy the view and have a coffee somewhere on the balcony or my own balcony in the cabin. I find it a bit dangerous leaving the ship.. 

So spend all that money for the cruise and flights etc. etc. and sit on your balcony :classic_ohmy: