Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 46

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 9 and Sunday, November 15.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Anyone familiar with Dr. Who might have had the same momentary pause I did when I saw this slightly creepy army of Santa mannequins ready to animate and start destroying every human in Home Depot. After the moment passed, it was back to business and I went about prowling for supplies needed to finish the latest project. “Projects”, actually. The state of 2020 has spawned a flood of new home improvement efforts and a finishing of some that have been stalled for years by... well, I really don’t know why some were never finished. Anyway, the search for supplies for the project I had to finish before the next one could start brought me back to Dr. Who and my favorite quote from the quintessential time-traveler: “First things first, but not necessarily in that order.”

First Things First

p4053749560-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

After missing out on the wetlands last weekend due to really heavy rainfall and tropical storm conditions (12 inches of rain at my house!)...I was finally able to catch a nice, clear day to hit the wetlands this past Saturday.  Some nice encounters, and I was able to shoot from about 12:30pm to 5:30pm after the sun set.  Here's some of the variety:

An osprey giving me the intense eyes - this is one of the last things a lot of prey see before those talons come down and grab them:

original.jpg

The great blue herons are among the first birds nesting again for the winter - they start a bit earlier than some of the other species as the wetlands can get pretty crowded.  This one was returning to its nesting spot where its partner was waiting for that stick:

original.jpg

Right place, right time...as I was heading out to the second wetlands for the day, walking out along a boardwalk over a big lake, I spotted a raptor of some kind, assuming initially it was another osprey...but on closer look, the distinctive white tail and white head with black body and wings meant it was a bald eagle.  Not a common sight down here, this is now the 3rd time this year I've photographed one:

original.jpg

A wintering bird that has just recently returned to our area - this is among the first yellow-rumped warblers I've seen since spring:

original.jpg

I checked Google Earth to see just how far away this tree was from where I was standing - 241 feet. I had to use every bit of the 900mm equivalent of my sensor and lens plus quite a bit of cropping to get this lovely female belted kingfisher sitting out on a branch overlooking the lake:

original.jpg

I continued to shoot well into dusk, with the sun setting behind the trees, just cranking up the ISO to catch some action with the various birds returning to roost for the night.  This cormorant had dropped into the water for a quick bath, then took off to land in a nearby tree (ISO 1,250):

original.jpg

An ibis flying past me as it headed to the popular roosting tree (ISO 2,500):

original.jpg

Just a few minutes before actual sunset, though the wetlands had already fallen into significant darkness due to the tree cover as the sun was already below the trees...this cormorant flying in was just about distinguishable from the background (ISO 6,400):

original.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...