90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Simple, it came directly from the mouth of Pfizer's CEO this morning. If you read that article carefully, you will see that the Government promised to purchase ~$2 billion worth of Pfizer's vaccine if (and only if) it was proven effective. Pfizer rejected the government offer of development funding and was not a participant in Warp Speed. 

I did read it.  I also said, they stand to make more in the future.  Companies regularly spend money on R&D to make money.

I take this as good news and we shall see, but every step of the way has been positive with vaccine development.  I just wish people would quit looking for the most negative thing they can find, or think they can find.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I did read it.  I also said, they stand to make more in the future.  Companies regularly spend money on R&D to make money.

I take this as good news and we shall see, but every step of the way has been positive with vaccine development.  I just wish people would quit looking for the most negative thing they can find, or think they can find.

As a first responder, I expect to be first in line to get this vaccine as soon as it receives EUA from the FDA.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

But would you agree that with the new rules with the FDA speeding up the process with these vaccines may influence your response?  Jonas Salk developed the polio vaccine in 2 years.  It's 2020.  We have come a long way from the 50's.  Would it not be possible to realistically have a vaccine in 6 months instead of 3 years taking out all of the paperwork...etc...?

No, the FDA would not influence me

10 minutes ago, BND said:

My favorite question.  In medicine, as what?  My DIL is an RN but doesn't know any more about the virus than any lay person as she works in a GP office.  My husband's cousin is an RN and her DH is a urologist and neither know more than what they read in the medical info availalbe.

I am board certified in Internal Medicine as

well as Critical Care Medicine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I wonder what the effectiveness was after 2 or 3 weeks was? 

If Fauci said a 50% immunity was what to expect, it would be interesting to see a 2 week response...

The initial efficacy data were examined 7 days after participants received their second (28-day) dose, so these data are based on a minimum of 35 days post initial injection. Participants will be frequently monitored for the next two years to determine the longevity of the vaccine's effectiveness.

12 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Do you think regular non-senior  folks will be able to get in April/May?

Would love to have it before my cruise in June

Pfizer says it will start with distribution by the end of this year, so I suspect you will be able to get it before your cruise.

Edited by travelhound
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Pfizer should therefore receive all of the credit, since they did this entirely on their own dime. They never took a penny of government money to fund their development. I'm sure that other entities will try to take credit, but this one belongs solely to Pfizer.

Maybe they didn't opt into Operation Warp Speed  but a big fat $1.95 BILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT from our government ( with plenty more to come ) may have helped them speed up their efforts just a little ????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Maybe they didn't opt into Operation Warp Speed  but a big fat $1.95 BILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT from our government ( with plenty more to come ) may have helped them speed up their efforts just a little ????

Yup, operation Warp Speed definitely gave Pfizer the incentive to get this done as quickly as possible 😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Do you think regular non-senior  folks will be able to get in April/May?

Would love to have it before my cruise in June

From the CDC site, the recommendations for priority are:

• Healthcare personnel
  • Workers in essential and critical industries
  • People at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness due to underlying medical conditions
  • People 65 years and older

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations-process.html

Depends on how many people are in these groups and how many total vaccines will be available. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

From the CDC site, the recommendations for priority are:

• Healthcare personnel
  • Workers in essential and critical industries
  • People at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness due to underlying medical conditions
  • People 65 years and older

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations-process.html

Depends on how many people are in these groups and how many total vaccines will be available. 

Pfizer said on CNBC that they will have 50 million by the end of this year and over 160 million by early next year.  I suspect that wider distribution will start by March.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Pfizer said on CNBC that they will have 50 million by the end of this year and over 160 million by early next year.  I suspect that wider distribution will start by March.

From their press release:

"Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021"

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

But we don't know what percentage is for the US and what percentage for the rest of the world. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Looks like you can add this to the list of things where Fauci was wrong.

Wrong!

Here's exactly what Fauci said..."Researchers are targeting at least 50% efficacy, but Dr. Fauci hopes some or all the vaccines could do better. “I would like to see at least a 70% to 75% efficacy,” he said."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

From their press release:

"Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021"

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

But we don't know what percentage is for the US and what percentage for the rest of the world. 

1.3 Billion is great news 👍  I think this will only be the first of many vaccines that will be distributed in 2021.

• Like 1

This is wonderful news! For once I'm so happy to 1. Own Pfizer stock, 2. Be over 65, 3. Be Obese, 4. Have Asthma, 5. Have Hypertension, 6. Have Diabetes...step aside folks! I'm third in line behind the health care workers and essential employees!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, you're correct.  I'm sure that $2 Billion in guaranteed sales from Warp Speed had nothing to do with it.  🤔

They also got similar purchase commitments from several other governments as well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

This is wonderful news! For once I'm so happy to 1. Own Pfizer stock, 2. Be over 65, 3. Be Obese, 4. Have Asthma, 5. Have Hypertension, 6. Have Diabetes...step aside folks! I'm third in line behind the health care workers and essential employees!

Me too, I'm over 65. I'll get it for sure as soon as I can.

• Like 1