90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

I have a cruise in March.  I'm not sure if my family will be able to get the vaccine before that cruise, but it flattens the fear and ultimately it makes my cruise more likely to sail as planned 😀 

While news of a vaccine is encouring, the cruise lines still have to comply with CDC requirements and get a Conditional Sailing Permit. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Just had an expert on CNBC a few minutes ago that was predicting more in the range of 1-2 years of protection.

My response was assuming it won't kick in immediately, I wasn't referring to how long the vaccine is effective.

3 hours ago, BND said:

I take this as good news and we shall see, but every step of the way has been positive with vaccine development. 

Wall Street certainly takes it as good news... RCL up over 27% at the moment and my Pfizer stock is up over 11%. All my travel stocks are up substantially.  My booking.com stock is up 16.4%.  I'm a pretty happy guy today 🙂.  

I still think my Feb. cruise on Empress is dead in the water but I'm pretty hopeful for my Hawaii in May.  🙂 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just had an expert on CNBC a few minutes ago that was predicting more in the range of 1-2 years of protection.

Okay, so we get a flu shot every year, it won't be a problem to do this every one to two years (if required).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

While news of a vaccine is encouring, the cruise lines still have to comply with CDC requirements and get a Conditional Sailing Permit. 

Which may hinge on requiring the vaccine to cruise.  

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Let’s all take a deep breath. The 90% number quoted was measured at 28 days post injection. 

My bad on that first report I heard early this morning as it was not accurate.

The 90% is now stated as after the SECOND injection. 

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I wonder what the effectiveness was after 2 or 3 weeks was? 

If Fauci said a 50% immunity was what to expect, it would be interesting to see a 2 week response...

I believe what Dr. Fauci said this Summer was something along the lines......we don't know what the immunity will be, it could be 50 or 60% but he would like to see at least 75%.     

Hopefully all will be well with the Pfizer vaccine and they will receive their FDA approvals in near future.     And hopefully majority of people who are medically able to get the vaccine will get it.   

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

My bad on that first report I heard early this morning as it was not accurate.

The 90% is now stated as after the SECOND injection. 

Yes, which is 3 weeks after the first, if what I have read is accurate. 
Also (and this is a little concerning) anyone who tested positive in the 3 week period between first and second injection, or who tested positive within 7 days after the second injection were removed from the cohort. 

38 minutes ago, mek said:

My response was assuming it won't kick in immediately, I wasn't referring to how long the vaccine is effective.

Not sure if anyone else answered your question as I am skimming thru the posts on my lunch break, I believe Pfizer said 28 days for vaccine to be effective.      I ready they will have additional data to release the 3rd week of November when they have completed their 2 month study on effects of those who volunteered this summer.

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes, which is 3 weeks after the first, if what I have read is accurate. 
Also (and this is a little concerning) anyone who tested positive in the 3 week period between first and second injection, or who tested positive within 7 days after the second injection were removed from the cohort. 

Pretty typical for vaccine and drug studies.

4 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Do you think regular non-senior  folks will be able to get in April/May?

Would love to have it before my cruise in June

I'm hoping the vaccine will be mandated to be able to board any cruise ship. Proof of vaccination (with a raised seal) should be mandatory for all crew and passengers to board a cruise ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

I am just wondering why this news was released today and not last Monday???

That was my thought too but.....hubby explained to me that big pharma LOVES the Republicans. If they could have made the announcement they would have. Too bad for Trump with this timing of the announcement. I do believe he may have pulled out this election if this vaccine was on the imminent horizon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Also, there are quite a few people out there, even on cruise critic who simply will not take the vaccine now.  There are a lot of people who refuse the flu vaccine.  There are even more who won't get their kids vaccinated.  I dont think there will be quite as many people demanding it.  Didn't the Governor of CA say his state wouldn't be allowed?

Wouldn't be allowed what????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

No different than a significant number of medications that have to be kept frozen until they are administered. They are thawed out just prior to injection. I believe that the flu vaccines currently in use also need to be kept frozen. 

I had no idea. I wonder how long they can remain defrosted before effectiveness is lost.

6 hours ago, boscobeans said:

90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

Looks like it might be available before December 1st...

Just heard Cruise Line stocks are on the upswing.

If this is a reference to the Pfizer vaccine, it is a two shot vaccination. There is no data on long term efficacy.

It will not be available before December 1, 2020. At best there should be doses sufficient to vaccinate about half of the first responders and healthcare workers before the end of the year.

Yesterday was the day to buy cruise line stocks😀.

• Like 1