Royal Princess Sydney to NZ and Return on 7th December 2021

Sailaway John

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will admit that we were shocked when we met that NZ tour group.  The average age of that group was probably in the 50s but several told us it was their first visit to South Island.  They were on a guided tour where they traveled by bus and were intrigued that an older American couple was doing South Island on our own with a rental car.   In some ways you Kiwis are like many in the USA in that there are many here who never venture far from home.  I would add that we did South Island in your late Spring and the weather was fantastic except when we drove down to Milford Sound.  Even though it was November, we still ran into an ice/snow squall in the hills just before you drive down towards the sound.  Fortunately, your road maintenance folks were quite active and kept the road relatively safe.  

Hank

I don't think it's so much that we don't venture far from home as that there is more of a cultural gulf between the NI and SI than we acknowledge.  I grew up in Christchurch but have now lived in the NI for many years.  A lot of my SI relatives couldn't point to where I live on a map but travel to Aus or even the US or Europe frequently. Well, they did so in more certain times.