My January 2021 VO Status?

What was that?

9 hours ago, What was that? said:

I checked this morning to see if I could access our January 2021 cruise on My Viking Journey and got the same result - it could not be accessed. So I turned to "Live Chat" and here are two pertinent excerpts:

When I asked why I could not access it I was told: "Thank you, at this time My Viking Journey is currently undergoing maintenance and is unavailable. We appreciate your patience during this time. It should be available within 48 hours."

Then I pointed out that this is the second day - and that the cruise is not on the Viking website either: "I understand. There are only some bookings that are to be accessed. There is a note on your booking from our IT department stating that this booking is one of the bookings that cannot access My Viking Journey. "

So, apparently our booking has been sent to the Principal's Office...

Thank you, WWT!  That was the bit of information that I was looking for.  What ssems to be the first warning sign of impending cancellation: sailing disappears from website AND unable to access booking. Give it at least another day. Since the emails (one for each passengers) contain the FCV, the voucher amounts have to be calculated for all the bookings first. E-mails will come before the public announcement.

The emails contain important information, so make sure to read them through to the very end.

Once a voucher, always a voucher. Vouchers can not be refunded for cash until they expire 2 years after issue.

Remember that if any vouchers were used in payment, they will be returned to your account at the face value they were issued. Then the cash balance will be used to figure the 125% for the new voucher.

If you would prefer a cash refund of the cash balance, you must inform Viking by the date stated in the e-mail. Do not dawdle; it is a firm deadline. To figure what that cash refund will be, multiply the 125% voucher amount by 0.8.

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Since the emails (one for each passengers) contain the FCV, the voucher amounts have to be calculated for all the bookings first. E-mails will come before the public announcement.

Just what emails are you referring to? Are you suggesting some people already got something indicative of the invitational and/or other January cruises definitely being canceled?  To be very honest, at this point I'd just as soon have a refund rather than yet another FCV. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just what emails are you referring to? Are you suggesting some people already got something indicative of the invitational and/or other January cruises definitely being canceled?  To be very honest, at this point I'd just as soon have a refund rather than yet another FCV. 

I did not say that anyone had received an e-mail. I only talked about what the email will contain when it does arrive.

I said that before any public announcements about cancellations are made, all those with bookings receive an e-mail and that the e-mail includes the new FCV  (because too many people stop reading after the first paragraph).

So that people will know what to expect, I explained how the new vouchers are calculated and I warned people that there was a firm deadline for those wanting a cash refund of their cash balance. This is information that I wish I had known before my first two cruises were cancelled; I might have made different decisions had I known then what I know now.

BTW I am with you on wanting a refund rather than another FCV. I have enough tied up in vouchers for services in industry that has been so hard hit by set backs and if our April cruise cancels I already decided to forgo the extra 25% and ask for the cash balance to be refunded.  Plus, I am not booking any more cruises until things settle down. If April happens, I will book something while on board.

Edited by Peregrina651

Today is Thursday, 19 November 2020, and my situation has not changed since Tuesday: our Jan-Feb 2021 cruise is not accessible on MVJ, and January 2021 cruises are not showing on the Viking website. Not a complaint, mind you, just trying to establish a pattern amid uncertainty and chaos.

Elsewhere on CruiseCritic, I saw a reminder that we cruisers are experiencing a first world problem. Too true, and it reminded me to be grateful for what we do have. Here in Reno on Tuesday, five family homes were destroyed and another 24 were damaged in a wildfire that was driven by 60-70mph winds. The impact on us was we "only" lost power and cable (TV & Internet) which, considering, was not significant.

22 hours ago, darlbach said:

TA here - been checking on customer's cruise - 01/19/21 Chairman's Cruise and 01/26/21 Iberian Explorer -  for about a week (air, excursions, etc.).  Yesterday after pressing I was told to check back in 48 hours as there should be an update.  Today I was told 24 hours after a bit of hemming and hawing by the res agent.  What Was That? has certainly been on top of this and I would agree that the likelihood of either of these cruises sailing is pretty slim.  

BTW - LOVED the Principal's office comment.  Brought a smile on an otherwise frustrating day, week, month, year.....

Are you hearing anything further?

Checked earlier today...nothing so far. MVJ still doesn't load and I don't yet see a 5th installment of "Tor's Corner" on viking.tv. Sort of depressing, in a way, awaiting the news - since we pretty well know what it's going to be, but still, with how the vast majority of us - assumedly anyway - assign considerable importance to the planning of and anticipation of these various trips, it's maddening not knowing what's going on. A part of me is still eagerly hoping (against hope of course) for this trip to take place - been thinking about it since last year. Just 4 more months from now = basically a whole year's worth of travel plans down the tubes, for me anyway with the exception of a 4-day driving trip (during which DW fell and broke her arm!!!)  Sad part is, the time and trips lost are never regained.

This whole covid thing, to me,  still feels at times like something out of the twilight zone. Far worse, of course, than any travel-related plans, is, and has been, the impact on families - with personal loss being the most devastating. That goes without saying and my heart goes out to all affected. Yet, for those who haven't suffered a death, it's still unreal not being able to see each other. Haven't seen my daughter in person since New Year's Day. Got to see my Mom - in assisted living - once since March. She had to spend her 98th birthday without the usual benefit of any family visiting her. It's heartbreaking, really. So, in the general scheme of things - viewed against the background of some other issues - I really don't care what happens to these trips but still would like to know so as to start making adjustments in the longrange calendar. If, in some weird alternate timeline possibility, I could go back to the Viking Sky episode with the different result being that I could sacrifice my life if in some way it could negate the million+ people who have been lost (ala John 15:13), I believe I'd do it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, darlbach said:

let's think positive thoughts about the future and look forward to when we can all sail again!

I know...and you're right...but losing this invitational coupled with the Iberian explorer cruise is rather depressing cause it was really something special - not that other trips aren't for people here as well, but just saying. It would have been a unique opportunity on a brand new ship. Right now just feeling a bit down over the whole situation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I know...and you're right...but losing this invitational coupled with the Iberian explorer cruise is rather depressing cause it was really something special - not that other trips aren't for people here as well, but just saying. It would have been a unique opportunity on a brand new ship. Right now just feeling a bit down over the whole situation. 

I fully expect that Viking's Chairman will do right for all of you that experienced the Sky. If Venus is cancelled, they might consider moving the invitational onto the Viking Mars in 2022.

As an aside, we just cancelled our River/Ocean combo in May/June 2021 and have directed our TA to move us to a B2B on Viking Mars - Barcelona to Bergen, then Bergen to London. I believe the May 28th departure from Barcelona is currently its inaugural revenue voyage, so we will shortly be booked on those sailings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I fully expect that Viking's Chairman will do right for all of you that experienced the Sky. If Venus is cancelled, they might consider moving the invitational onto the Viking Mars in 2022.

As an aside, we just cancelled our River/Ocean combo in May/June 2021 and have directed our TA to move us to a B2B on Viking Mars - Barcelona to Bergen, then Bergen to London. I believe the May 28th departure from Barcelona is currently its inaugural revenue voyage, so we will shortly be booked on those sailings.

I agree, as a "Sky guest" I still believe that Torsten and Viking will do something special, the trip matters very little , the chance to reconnect with folks from those hours matter much more,

• Like 2

Most interesting is the wording in the email:  "While it is too soon to confirm the timing of our rescheduled Chairman's Cruise, rest assured, when we have the dates, we will confirm your booking, provide you ample time to make arrangements and support you in your planning.  I look forward to sharing the details on both the timing and the itinerary in the coming months, and I look even more forward to seeing you on board!"  

And the last statement:  

"I look forward to welcoming you on board the Viking Venus." 

This almost makes it sounds like he still wants to do something for the Sky guests on the Venus (?) Possibly is he looking at doing a similar or even same itinerary - Rome to Barcelona?  For me, it would no longer have to be a sailing on a new ship - nice idea - but not necessary. Sounds like he also wants to still do it next year sometime. That alone is surely questionable. See where it goes from here. In the  meantime, I'm taking a refund. I don't want the uncertainty of when/how to use the FCV. I have several trips planned already for 2021-2023. A few of those (for '21) are basically just rescheduled trips...like surely many of us have!!

Edited by OnTheJourney

We were booked on Jupiter for January 2nd from Buenos Aires to Santiago.  We received emails from Viking this afternoon canceling our cruise.  I have a call into our TA.  We plan to rebook for January 8, 2022.  I am sure more emails will be going out soon to cancel the rest of January 2021.

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'd personally go for this over trying to fit something in next year, which could still carry lots of uncertainties. 

If they move it to the Mars in 22, we will see you in Barcelona, as our TA has just confirmed she has Mars booked from Barcelona to London.🙂

• Like 1

Andy....so then the Mars trip you're describing sounds like the same itinerary as the Iberian Explorer? (Or is that the cruise you're referring to?) I haven't looked at any schedules other than the one we were booked on. Wow...it would be cool to actually meet up in person 😃 Maybe coax Jim into coming along also??? I hear they will be serving drinks on the Mars.

I still get the feeling that Tor intends to do something with the Venus in the way of an invitational, though it could be how I interpreted the email. Makes no difference to me what ship. It would be nice to know asap, however, since my (tentative) travel schedule - along with everyone else's - is likely filling up with rebooked,  rescheduled, or otherwise postponed trips. In a way I'm hoping for it to still be a Rome to Barcelona with the option to extend into a Barcelona to London. We've never been to Rome, so I was really psyched for it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Andy....so then the Mars trip you're describing sounds like the same itinerary as the Iberian Explorer? (Or is that the cruise you're referring to?) I haven't looked at any schedules other than the one we were booked on. Wow...it would be cool to actually meet up in person 😃 Maybe coax Jim into coming along also??? I hear they will be serving drinks on the Mars.

I still get the feeling that Tor intends to do something with the Venus in the way of an invitational, though it could be how I interpreted the email. Makes no difference to me what ship. It would be nice to know asap, however, since my (tentative) travel schedule - along with everyone else's - is likely filling up with rebooked,  rescheduled, or otherwise postponed trips. In a way I'm hoping for it to still be a Rome to Barcelona with the option to extend into a Barcelona to London. We've never been to Rome, so I was really psyched for it. 

They are calling it Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. It is 15 days as opposed to 8 for the Iberian Explorer. We visit Porto rather than Vigo and add Falmouth, Le Havre, Bruges, Amsterdam and end in Bergen.

The first 3 ports were ones we missed from our last WC, and were new ports for both of us. For the others, I haven't been in Falmouth since 1976 and while I have been in an Amsterdam shipyard, I have never sailed into or out of the port. So almost 1/2 the ports are new to me.

If drinks are involved, Jim and I will be there.😁🍺

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

If drinks are involved, Jim and I will be there.😁🍺

Heck, I'll treat you both 😉  

With no Iberian Explorer trips scheduled for '21, this will be interesting to see what a revised "Chairman's cruise" looks like. Hadn't considered the Trade Routes option. I'll have to look at that one. I'm just hoping that it will once again be something that can be butterflied (a purely Viking term for a B2B?) with something either before or after if - as was the case - the invitational is only 7-8 days. As I posted on other threads, there are lots of '21 dates for the Western Mediterranean - which was the itinerary for the invitational. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If they move it to the Mars in 22, we will see you in Barcelona, as our TA has just confirmed she has Mars booked from Barcelona to London.🙂

I'm confused...the Trade Routes itinerary is showing as Bergen to Barcelona. What cruise is the Barcelona to London?  

Wait...ok...I see it. It uses the Iberian Explorer itinerary and continues on up to Bergen. Very nice!!! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Heck, I'll treat you both 😉  

With no Iberian Explorer trips scheduled for '21, this will be interesting to see what a revised "Chairman's cruise" looks like. Hadn't considered the Trade Routes option. I'll have to look at that one. I'm just hoping that it will once again be something that can be butterflied (a purely Viking term for a B2B?) with something either before or after if - as was the case - the invitational is only 7-8 days. As I posted on other threads, there are lots of '21 dates for the Western Mediterranean - which was the itinerary for the invitational. 

The other benefit of our B2B option is that we finish in Greenwich rather than Tilbury. Although Tilbury is the London Cruise Terminal, it is a minimally converted cargo shed, in what is best described as a docklands/industrial area.

At Greenwich, although the ship is anchored, what a brilliant area, which also has a few pubs within a short walk - even has the Prime Meridian, Maritime Museum, Royal Naval College, Cutty Sark, etc. The DLR provides access to the entire Tube network and you also have high speed ferries down the Thames to Tower Hill. BTW - Jim & I also know of a great pub a short walk from Tower Bridge.

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm confused...the Trade Routes itinerary is showing as Bergen to Barcelona. What cruise is the Barcelona to London?  

We are doing a B2B - Barcelona to Bergen then a Midnight Sun Bergen to London

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We are doing a B2B - Barcelona to Bergen then a Midnight Sun Bergen to London

Cool....how many days in all?  OK...I see....another 15....so 30 days in all. So you'll get up to Tromsø....we loved that port!!!  Great plan to do both. That's getting a bit long for me though. Maximum of 3 weeks is about as much as I care for, for any trip. 

Edited by OnTheJourney