Dancing

ivyleaguegent

There is a small dance floor in the Club.  It is pretty marginal for ballroom.  It is underutilized so not much competition for space.  Music is varied but occasional waltz, club sorts of music, etc.

The dance pros who provide the evening entertainment sometimes run classes but they are very basic.

Some of the deck area is opened up for dancing during particular evenings but it is crowded and definitely not very ballroomy.

Would love to see more ballroom style dancing on cruises.  At least be able to use swing, salsa, cha cha, rhumba, hustle, maybe even a foxtrot or waltz.  The dance floors are way too small usually on all cruise ships, yet there are always a lot of empty seats around at night.  

ddpe,

The Queen Mary II and QE have full size dance floors but of course Cunard is not in the same market segment as Seabourn, Crystal, etc.  Crystal has a big band/ballroom cruise twice a year on transoceanic crossings although the dance floors are relatively small and about 20% the size of Cunards'.  There is also a travel group called Dancers At Sea that offers ballroom dancing cruises, with dance hosts and hostesses, on different ships.

19 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

ddpe,

The Queen Mary II and QE have full size dance floors but of course Cunard is not in the same market segment as Seabourn, Crystal, etc.  Crystal has a big band/ballroom cruise twice a year on transoceanic crossings although the dance floors are relatively small and about 20% the size of Cunards'.  There is also a travel group called Dancers At Sea that offers ballroom dancing cruises, with dance hosts and hostesses, on different ships.

Although I have not been on Cunard, I would imagine that one of the Grill Class suites would be right up there - presuming that you recognize that there are many more people onboard. I think that for a TA cruising, this would be fantastic for dancing (which I don't do, for the betterment of all). Best.

The ballroom dancing culture is alive and well on Cunard. QM2 (note spelling, QMII is a British monarch) reputedly has the largest dance floor at sea and this Queens Room tradition is always in play.

Cruise ships such as those mentioned just don’t offer the ambiance much less the clientele interested in the activity. That said, if someone wants to start a trend, well, good luck to him or her.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I always wanted to participate in such an event on board Cunard or any other cruiser but unfortunately there wasnt any. I think its happens more often on small river cruises or something or when there is a special cruise connected with some sort of an event or a calendar day 

Seabourn is not a good choice for those who want ballroom dancing on a cruise.  The music in the Club is almost exclusively rock and disco, and the music on deck for the Rock the Boat parties is always rock.  As Markham wrote, Cunard is an excellent choice for ballroom dancers, although the general on-board experience is very, very different than Seabourn, even if you travel in Queens Grill Class.

One thing you have on Cunard, at least the QM2, is a lot more space in general.    The only crowd we saw was for the shows and their frequent cruiser party.   We love having an actual promenade and there is enough room to walk even with folks sitting in the wonderful wooden deck chairs.   In the QG or PG you can go to dinner whenever you want and your table and attendants are waiting for you to arrive, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

We do not go on the Seabourn for dancing, but we do enjoy doing some dancing. Last year, on the Quest, we talked to the Cruise Director about having more music for dancing in the Club. She agreed to work on it, and also advised us to also talk to the band director. Well, the band director came and talked to us. He asked what kind of music we would like. It turned out there were a few other couples interested in dancing too. I guess with Seabourn, if you want something, don't be shy and just ask.

• Like 1