Possible COVID Case on SeaDream

robertmartha

Each individual us state has set up their plans on distribution.   A poster on another site provided a copy of the very detailed plan that dept of health for CA put together. 

Will be interesting to see whether Pfizer or moderna will be used for general public.  I suspect it will be moderna since their vaccine does not need the special refrigeration that pfizer vaccine requires.  

12 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I was under the impression warp speed had a national distribution plan.  I'd prefer that.

OWS is handling national distribution.  OWS required the states to either set up their own, approved, internal distribution, or let the feds do it.  OWS gave money to the states for this.

please research OWS for yourselves so I don't have to act like an expert 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m no expert either but try to keep up with it via reputable science-based sources.

Totally agree with Ragnar as to wearing masks (as someone said in the paper today, it’s as if we politicized toilet paper with these anti-mask comments).  Same as to Zooming for the holidays.  Today’s NYTimes has sad story of a “small” wedding in Maine this past summer that had 55 guests but spread the virus to almost 200 people, 7 of whom died.

On the vaccines in the news this week we need to be realistic.  Dr. Fauci and others have said that the general population will START to gain access in the April time frame, but it will take several months to get the full two doses administered.  This assumes people are willing to get them.  Even then, we don’t yet know for how long the vaccines will be effective.  Will we need boosters annually, more often?  As a doctor said today, this could be like the Shingles vaccine.  There was one version that was OK but had side effects, and later a better one came along.  Apparently it is OK to take more than one COVID vaccine as they come out.

It is unfortunate this all got so political because now many people are leery of taking it. Pfizer paid for the R&D but knowing it had a federal contract worth billions no doubt helped.  Both Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines require cold storage, but Pfizer’s requires super, duper cold storage that doctor’s and pharmacies likely don’t have, at least not yet.

Distribution plans are largely up to states, as best I can tell.  Some individual states (New York) or groups of states (CA, OR, NV?) are going to review the data before allowing it to be distributed.  Not sure this is legal under FDA law but need to check.  The problem is, as usual, money.  States and local governments need help with the funds to make this all work.  That’s part of the long stalled next COVID relief package stuck in the DC mess.  Operation Warp Speed is based on the expertise and hard work of the Defense Logistics Agency at the Pentagon, working with FedEx and others.  Seems like they are the wholesale distribution operation, and states have “retail” work.

Regardless of how any of us voted, it is time to focus on getting this virus under control so our fellow human beings who are unemployed, here and around the world, can get their livelihoods back.  And we can avoid more unnecessary deaths and medical trauma, for patients and providers alike.  That means a smoother Presidential transition  to avoid gaps in getting ready for vaccine distributions, approving more relief funds and encouraging (requiring?) basic measures such as wearing simple masks.

News is encouraging - maybe the light we see is the end of the tunnel not another on-coming freight train? - but lots of work needs to be done.  Stay safe and remain healthy.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing the sad news.  Hats off to Andreas, Sudesh, Bob, Emilio and the rest of the team for doing everything possible to make this work in Barbados as it did in Norway this past summer.  The equally sad reality is that all it takes is one or two “bad apples” (thanks recent guests from New York who partied in Miami en route) to ruin it for the rest of us.  

While for many of those here it is a disappointment, for the crew who depend on this work to feed their families it is devastating.  In case you hadn’t heard, the Philippines has experienced several strong typhoons in recent weeks, with damaging floods.  No doubt some SD crew and their families were impacted.  Especially with the holidays approaching, we should all reach out to crew we know to determine how we can help.

• Like 3

Whoa, Jess4845, don't pin this on New York!  From what I heard, it was a group from California...I really wish SeaDream could sue their irresponsible, entitled asses...  Heartbreaking news and my heart goes out to the extraordinary crew, the company and, from what I understand, the vast majority of guests who knew how to behave during this time. 

• Like 5

On 11/17/2020 at 8:28 AM, JES4845 said:

The equally sad reality is that all it takes is one or two “bad apples” (thanks recent guests from New York who partied in Miami en route) to ruin it for the rest of us.  

I heard from others on CC the group of 6 that had 5 positive cases was from CA not NY.    The fact they partied in Miami without masks on shouldn't have been allowed either, IMO.    

• Like 1

Any details on whether all 6 were from one household?  Were they living under one roof at home?

Any details on what partying was done in Miami?

Did SeaDream issue instructions on what could and couldn't be done in the days leading up to boarding?

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Ummm, I think this article missed the fact that cruise ships are a form of senior group housing....

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/18/covid-vaccine-trump-administration-sees-tremendous-uptake-of-cvs-walgreens-program-for-seniors.html

Now that Sea Dream is cancelled for the year expect Jim and Hum and our much better halves to stay for the next two months.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

Now that Sea Dream is cancelled for the year expect Jim and Hum and our much better halves to stay for the next two months.

Ragnar's California Living for Seniors.  He really needs to fast track the pool though....🍸

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jtwind said:

Any details on whether all 6 were from one household?  Were they living under one roof at home?

Any details on what partying was done in Miami?

Did SeaDream issue instructions on what could and couldn't be done in the days leading up to boarding?

I do not believe they all lived together.    They were all grown adults.   5 tested positive and #6 had recently recovered from Covid.      A poster on another forum had posted a picture of the groups facebook page showing they were partying at a bar in Miami where no one was social distancing or mask wearing was practiced.     I am not aware of SeaDream issuing any specific instructions of what you could or could not do in the days leading up to boarding.   

They tried to live the Dream and ruined it for many others.    

I hope other couple (not related to the group of 6) that became ill with the virus and went to hospital in Barbados is doing Okay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 6:39 AM, Jim Avery said:

It only takes a breath in the wrong place.  And I submit a few hours in a crowded aircraft is worse than a few days on a sparsely loaded ship.  Again one breath anywhere can do it.

One breath??  This is clearly a contagious virus, but I do not think the "one breath anywhere" hypothesis  has been able to be tested, much less proven.  Nor has it been disproven, of course.

Intensity, frequency, and duration of exposure are what the health experts have stressed are key, to try and keep some rationality to their recommendations. 

Otherwise I agree with you about how the world needs to figure out how to continue even if many people get Covid, given the  greater than 99% survival in infected people under 65.  Given a lot of us cruisers are older, and/or have risk factors besides age,  ( only 95% survival in the U.S. if over 70), many of us will wait for a vaccine to at least improve our odds. But even the vaccines are so far reported to be only 90-95% successful in preventing infection with exposure in the trials, so higher risk people or more risk averse people may not consider that good enough and won't cruise even if allowed, and will have to restructure entertainment plans for the rest of their lives to exclude cruising and travel, which may become a young man's sport.

Let us hope for the best, but expect something less.

Sadly I’m one of those with severe cat allergy, though I do like cats - outside.  If I visit a house that I’m not aware has a cat, my lungs immediately start badly congesting, something akin to what I hear a bad asthma attack is like.

If I know in advance we have to visit a cat owner, like for a holiday party, I take allergy meds and sit outside, even in the car once as it was raining heavily.  This excuse actually comes in handy when visiting the in-laws, who all have cats 🙂

It’s only cats, dogs don’t bother my lungs.

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Get ready to roll your sleeves up if you want to fly internationally.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/travel/1845598/qantas-airline-vaccine/

Back to the Future.  When I was a lad I had my yellow Vax card.  It was seemingly more important for travel abroad than the passport.  All your shots had to be current to travel internationally.  Bet it will be the same to board a cruise ship.