Island Princess questions

SoBaycruiser

Hi!

We are considering a cruise on the Island Princess next fall.  We love small ships and most of our 17 cruises have been on R ships or smaller.  So the Island Princess seems really big to us.  It seems like the more recent reviews are negative about the rearrangement of venue locations aboard ship such as the location of the gym.  The cruise we are considering is a cold weather trip (Northern Europe) with quite a few days at sea.

1) Does the ship have any area where one can sit and enjoy the view from inside the ship?

2) since the Horizon Court appears to face forward with a view, is it open all day if one just wants to sit there and read a book?

3) cabins are described as small but how do they compare with the Pacific Princess... in which we do okay.

Any other pros and cons of the ship?

Horizon Court is open all day.  It is not nice to just sit there taking up a table during prime meal times but fine other times.  The ship has an indoor and outdoor pool, both of which have lounge chairs facing the sea. 

4 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Horizon Court is open all day.  It is not nice to just sit there taking up a table during prime meal times but fine other times.  The ship has an indoor and outdoor pool, both of which have lounge chairs facing the sea. 

Thank you for the info.  Of course we wouldn’t take up a seat during main dining times. I was thinking of the off hours.  I didn’t know that it had an indoor pool.  That would be helpful in the cold weather.

19 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thank you for the info.  Of course we wouldn’t take up a seat during main dining times. I was thinking of the off hours.  I didn’t know that it had an indoor pool.  That would be helpful in the cold weather.

980A043 8.10.12 Lotus Pool, Deck 14 DSC01295.JPG

Check out these areas:

Conservatory above the indoor pool. This area is in high demand.

Should be seats near the windows in Crooner's Bar area, deck 7, mid ship.

Library deck 8, mid ship. Limited seating.

All around the Lotus indoor pool.

Probably limited seats at La Patisserie, deck 5, mid ship. 

Window seats at the Wheelhouse Bar. This area may be used for CD activities such as trivia.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Check out these areas:

Conservatory above the indoor pool. This area is in high demand.

Should be seats near the windows in Crooner's Bar area, deck 7, mid ship.

Library deck 8, mid ship. Limited seating.

All around the Lotus indoor pool.

Probably limited seats at La Patisserie, deck 5, mid ship. 

Window seats at the Wheelhouse Bar. This area may be used for CD activities such as trivia.

Thanks! I’ll check those out.

Horizon court seating is open 24 hours    We have sat and played cards until 2 or 3 in the morning many time on the Coral Princess.  Sometimes they do maintenance and may ask you to change to another table.  There are many chairs and sofas on deck 6 and 7 that are next to windows.  Cant compare room sizes, have only been on Princess.  Balcony cabins are plenty big for two, especially the closet space.  I personally do not like the Island because of the mods that were made.  the Coral is our favorite.  it is the sister ship to the Island without the changes.

Not to be a "negative nelly," but out of the remaining ships in the Princess fleet the Coral and the Island are our least favorite.  Especially for a long cruise, as we normally take.  They are showing their age and do not have any where near the venues and amenities of the newer ships. The Royal class ships are our favorite ships...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 17pandd said:

I'd have to agree with LACruiser88.  The Island and Coral are very tired, worn out.

Boy I have a totally different view the Coral is one of my favorite ships. I do like the Grand class as well. You can keep the Royal class too darn big for me

• Like 4

We have been on the Island (Alaska) pre-changes and the Coral (Panama Canal) two years ago. We hope to be on the Island in October 2021 to the Med. We found the Coral to be the perfect ship for us as we primarily cruise for itinerary. I will miss the International Cafe on the Island. 

The only issue we had on the Island was the Horizon Court became very crowded on scenic sailing days when it was very cold or wet. Take rain and cold weather gear just in case, also waterproof shoes. 

Also recollect there are some "secret" outdoor viewing areas far aft on some of the decks. 

Edited by Alaskanb

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

We have been on the Island (Alaska) pre-changes and the Coral (Panama Canal) two years ago. We hope to be on the Island in October 2021 to the Med. We found the Coral to be the perfect ship for us as we primarily cruise for itinerary. I will miss the International Cafe on the Island. 

The only issue we had on the Island was the Horizon Court became very crowded on scenic sailing days when it was very cold or wet. Take rain and cold weather gear just in case, also waterproof shoes. 

Also recollect there are some "secret" outdoor viewing areas far aft on some of the decks. 

Since Princess “destroyed” the back of the Island with the addition of cabins, most of those “secret” outdoor viewing areas are likely no longer there.

3 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Thank you. That was very helpful. That was my concern on a northern lights cruise.  It will be very cold and we love cruising up the fjords. I wonder if we will we be fighting for a spot with a view after days at sea ?  

On 11/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

Thank you. That was very helpful. That was my concern on a northern lights cruise.  It will be very cold and we love cruising up the fjords. I wonder if we will we be fighting for a spot with a view after days at sea ?  

It also could be warm enough to be outside...... and there are many places to be other than Horizon Court to have a view. Have a great time. Think we will be on the ship after you. 

3 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

It also could be warm enough to be outside...... and there are many places to be other than Horizon Court to have a view. Have a great time. Think we will be on the ship after you. 

Both Baja and Caribe have forward viewing areas. Just go all the way forward and through the heavy door. No furniture up there but good viewing decks.  Before they butchered the ship those decks had excellent aft viewing areas (with loungers) as well. Those were lost with the remodel.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

Hi!

We are considering a cruise on the Island Princess next fall.  We love small ships and most of our 17 cruises have been on R ships or smaller.  So the Island Princess seems really big to us.  It seems like the more recent reviews are negative about the rearrangement of venue locations aboard ship such as the location of the gym.  The cruise we are considering is a cold weather trip (Northern Europe) with quite a few days at sea.

1) Does the ship have any area where one can sit and enjoy the view from inside the ship?

2) since the Horizon Court appears to face forward with a view, is it open all day if one just wants to sit there and read a book?

3) cabins are described as small but how do they compare with the Pacific Princess... in which we do okay.

Any other pros and cons of the ship?

We cruised the Island a few years ago.  If you go to the princess web site you can compare the deck plans between the Island and the Coral princess her sister ship.

You will see significant differences.  The Coral is the original deck plan, the Island was significantly change and IMHO not for the better.

If it's a cold weather cruise you will find the atrium crowded from morning till night.   It's the same on the Grand Class ships.   One of our last cruises  the staff brought down tables and chairs from the buffet and still no place to sit.  People camp out all day.    The only ship we have found that was comfortable  was the QM2.  That ship is designed with an over abundance  of in door seating.  With that being said we stil love the Island and Coral Princess.  

On 11/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Thrak said:

Both Baja and Caribe have forward viewing areas. Just go all the way forward and through the heavy door. No furniture up there but good viewing decks.  Before they butchered the ship those decks had excellent aft viewing areas (with loungers) as well. Those were lost with the remodel.

Another thumbs up for the forward viewing areas on these decks.  We enjoyed our time in Alaska from the forward Caribe deck.