Traveling from USA to Europe ???

thunter1224

Numbers are still very high in Europe, so I wouldn't think they would want anyone in at the moment.  They have to be able to look after their own people first.  I have a cruise booked in May, but we are just playing a waiting game to see if Avalon will cancel.  So glad we have only  put the deposit down, and it is easily transferrable to 2022 or even a trip with a different branch that we could use in Canada if we had to.  If you are making a reservation, I would be very careful to see how the company handled the cancellations this year, in case you have to do so.

Of course, if a vaccine is available and widly received by spring, Fall cruising could be a whole different story.

We have a September 2021 Danube cruise scheduled.  I don't think whether you're allowed in Europe right now is the problem. I'm holding off on booking flights for a good while. With the way things are going, I'm not sure any flight I got now would still exist by next year, and I'd rather not keep track of multiple changes/refunds/vouchers.

I just don't think you can reliably plan any overseas travel right now.  If you are ok with uncertainty and keeping your details fluid, you could try.

You're probably right, but I am continuing to do long-range planning [what else do we have to do at the moment???] for which I sketch in air flights based on current offerings.  My theory is that flights will only become more frequent, so if I can find a reasonable itinerary now the trip is feasible once the borders reopen.

• Like 1

There´s no travel ban for Canadians or US here in Europe but you have to quarantine.

There´s a travel ban the opposite way - as a German I can´t enter USA or Canada right now (just for travel) - not even with a quarantine.

Right now it´s way too early to tell what´s going on in September 2021. Who ever thought in March that we still are coping with this in November?

steamboats

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

I read in an article recently(don't remember where) that countries may require proof of vaccination once vaccines are available and travel opens up again.  

It wouldn't surprise me.

13 hours ago, KathyK13 said:

I read in an article recently(don't remember where) that countries may require proof of vaccination once vaccines are available and travel opens up again.  

It will take more than a year to get all vaccined...

steamboats

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

And therein lies the problem.  Not many of us can tack on an extra 2 weeks to our trip.  Both coming and going, so really an extra month.

I could deal with quarantine at home for 2 weeks after a trip. I live at home and currently work at home (and will be retiring in the spring). I couldn't deal with having to quarantine at my destination.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I could deal with quarantine at home for 2 weeks after a trip. I live at home and currently work at home (and will be retiring in the spring). I couldn't deal with having to quarantine at my destination.

Moi aussi. 

57 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I actually meant to say that I live alone. It doesn't change the gist of the comment though.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

We´re talking about the two weeks of quarantine when entering Europe ;-).

steamboats

Talking of quarantine. It is now 10 days when entering Germany and you have to fill in a special form to register with the authorities before you arrive. Other countries may or may not follow that example. Our guidelines have changed in light of the new scientific evidence.

By Spring of next year the situation may look different from now in Europe. Honestly, at the moment I would not even consider coming to Europe. It is a mess. I expect it to continue like this till March.

As regards booking for next Autumn, I would give it a few weeks. Unless there is a massively cheap deal. Even then, I would only accept an offer that gives me a lot of time till needing to pay in full. Lifting the travel ban? Who knows. I expect that by the time the vaccines have been administered to a large chunk of the population, the pressure by the travel industry will be huge. And the people. Upholding a travel ban could prove difficult...

As has been said before, the ban is not coming from the European Union authorities.

notamermaid

On 11/19/2020 at 2:03 AM, steamboats said:

I didn´t talk about the return quarantine because the question was about traveling to Europe.

steamboats

You are right.. lol  but for me it is 5 weeks off to do a week cruise in Europe...  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see many flight options available now for Sumer 2021. I am holding off in hopes some of the better routes will start opening up from the Midwest to Europe as vaccination rolls out. Right now its 3 connections or more from Indianapolis to Budapest and back from Prague. The IND-CDG route was canceled last year, sadly.

We have a September 2021 Danube cruise planned.  My husband bought airline tickets 10 days ago.  I did not want to purchase just yet.  They've been changed drastically 3 times since then, as I figured they would.

At this point, buying a ticket is really just semi-reserving your space on a plane, going eventually to your destination, around the date you want to go.  Putting much effort in to which city, how many legs, etc, is mostly futile.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Around the 15th of every month, Canada closes its borders until the 21st of the following month.  Been doing this since last spring.

I would say this will continue until numbers on both sides of the border are more manageable.  I wouldn't expect the border to open freely until at least this fall, hopefully by then most Canadians will be vaccinated, and Americans as well.  It wouldn't surprise me to have a proof of vaccination be required to cross either.

We had a Sept. 2020 trip to the Canadian Rockies rescheduled to Sept. 2021, and I am not 100% expecting that tour to run.  Spending a week wearing a mask as a tourist is not something I would enjoy.  Heck, wearing a mask for an hour drives me nuts!

I requested a PDF of a company's tour catalog and received an unsolicited email from one of their salespersons.  She was all  "oh, we'll all be vaccinated worldwide and traveling by summer and life will be just grand and you  need to book with us now, etc., etc.".  I get that this is their livelihood, but man, LET'S BE REALISTIC!

Edited by sharkster77

"Normal" will not be happening in September.  I do think there's a 50/50 chance of international travel happening by then, maybe with some sort of vaccine passport?  Who knows.  I think any travel plans for 2021 are not guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

"Normal" will not be happening in September.  I do think there's a 50/50 chance of international travel happening by then, maybe with some sort of vaccine passport?  Who knows.  I think any travel plans for 2021 are not guaranteed.

Unfortunately, I have to agree - as painful as that is to admit.