Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

I've had three cruises cancelled so far - one in April, one in August, and one in December.  I have one booked in March and one in July.  Are we ever going to get to cruise again?  It's getting to the point that I'm just ready to give up.

I won't even get into discussing mask requirements or shore excursions.  But seriously, is cruising over with?

Sure.  This charade can't go on forever.  Eventually society will reach a point where we realize we can outsmart a community spread virus such as this.  Masks, lock downs, restrictions do little to nothing as is being shown right now.  One day we will reach a point where you just have to go on with life and that may mean you contract COVID.  It will be just another chance we take in life.  Hopefully a successful vaccine comes down the road or the virus mutates into something less dangerous to us.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bnbeyer said:

I've had three cruises cancelled so far - one in April, one in August, and one in December.  I have one booked in March and one in July.  Are we ever going to get to cruise again? 

I would not count on your March cruise and as long as your one in July is 7 days or less, you should hopefully be OK.  Maybe the short trial cruises start by mid March and 7 day cruises are back by June for the summer season.  But, come January 21, all things could change.  Dr Fauci said that the general public should have the vaccine by May or June.

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Yes we’re going to cruise again, and it’ll be in 2022

Sorry folks

Who will people be cruising on in 2022? If cruise lines go close to 2 years without being allowed to cruise, there likely won’t be any cruise lines left to cruise on.and it definitely won’t be anything like cruising was before this pandemic. 

• Like 6

Eventually, but IMHO, not until 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021. We have two cruises booked next April that I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about, even though they are from the two ports (Miami & Pt.Canaveral), and the two ships ( Horizon & Breeze) that Carnival will be restarting with. 😎

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Please look up the Cruise Passenger Protection Act. Then see who's introducing it.

Ok done? (I googled it and opened the article with the most current date so hope its right one) Introduced by a Democrat and Co sponsored by 2 Democrats(California) and 1 Republican(Nebraska), Introduced to the House Nov 14, 2019(hasn't gone anywhere since).  There were no amendments identified.  Other than a lot of "strike" this word and "insert" this word or paragraph and "change to" I'm not seeing anything that significantly alters the original bill to any major degree. If I'm misinterpreting your comment let me know what specifically your referring to please.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Eventually, but IMHO, not until 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021. We have two cruises booked next April that I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about, even though they are from the two ports (Miami & Pt.Canaveral), and the two ships ( Horizon & Breeze) that Carnival will be restarting with. 😎

I wouldn't feel too warm and fuzzy either. April isn't going to happen. NOW the question is are you going to rebook 3 months later like BnBeyer and lamate over the cruises being cancelled?  I fully intend on waiting until cruising is , for most part, normal again. Probably 2022 at the earliest, likely 2023. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I wouldn't feel too warm and fuzzy either. April isn't going to happen. NOW the question is are you going to rebook 3 months later like BnBeyer and lamate over the cruises being cancelled?  I fully intend on waiting until cruising is , for most part, normal again. Probably 2022 at the earliest, likely 2023. 

To answer your question, no. I have three cruises already booked in October from Long Beach. B2B on the Radiance followed by the Panorama. If the April cruises are cancelled, we will have our FCC's, OBC's, and monies transferred to our already booked 2022 cruises. We'll just keep moving our pieces around the chess board. 😎

• Like 2

My main concern is that the established players will likely have to declare bankruptcy if sailing does not resume in 120-180 days. That said, if Carnival starts sailing in any capacity, I would presume creditors could rework financing in ways that facilitate mutual survival.

For Carnival, I suppose Plan B is to sell off more ships, but that may have the unintentional effect of only accelerating their cash burn as customers would want refunds.

2 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I have an NCL April...final payment due end of Jan.  If it isn't canceled by NCL and things still look "iffy" by final payment, I'm not going to make the payment or rebook until things are somewhat normal.

I'm still feeling optimistic about Sept 2021 Magic cruise from NYC.  Final payment due June..a few days after the first Magic sailing is scheduled to depart from NYC.  The "NYC" thing may be a whole other issue...as our governor may not allow it.

12 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

I've had three cruises cancelled so far - one in April, one in August, and one in December.  I have one booked in March and one in July.  Are we ever going to get to cruise again?  It's getting to the point that I'm just ready to give up.

I won't even get into discussing mask requirements or shore excursions.  But seriously, is cruising over with?

Of course we will...if you feel this way, might as well just start taking land vacations.

We have a March 27th and August 28th cruise coming up...we are confident in our plans, especially the August cruise, if March gets changed somehow, we will simply reschedule that also.

As a staunch cheerleader of cruising asap....I feel that at this point, I am truly mixed. Not because the cruise lines can't make it happen, but because of the administration at both state and federal level.

Here in CA, the governor is playing hardball and won't even let Disneyland open. Disney furloughed several thousands again this last week indicating that they don't forsee opening until March or April. ( I guess they don't mind double digit unemployment numbers.)

I don't think we'll see any cruises from CA until that time.

You folks in FL are probably in a way better position since you are pretty much already open fully.

There are just so many variables that I can't get my hopes up....vaccine? New administration lock downs? Etc etc.

I was hoping we'd see cruises out of New Orleans in Dec or January but I must be realistic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

As a staunch cheerleader of cruising asap....I feel that at this point, I am truly mixed. Not because the cruise lines can't make it happen, but because of the administration at both state and federal level.

Here in CA, the governor is playing hardball and won't even let Disneyland open. Disney furloughed several thousands again this last week indicating that they don't forsee opening until March or April. ( I guess they don't mind double digit unemployment numbers.)

I don't think we'll see any cruises from CA until that time.

You folks in FL are probably in a way better position since you are pretty much already open fully.

There are just so many variables that I can't get my hopes up....vaccine? New administration lock downs? Etc etc.

I was hoping we'd see cruises out of New Orleans in Dec or January but I must be realistic.

The problem is the ports aren’t controlled by the states, they are controlled at the federal level. Unfortunately the CDC is going to kill the US cruise industry in my opinion. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

No, if the CDC has anything to say about it.

10 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Eventually.  The vaccine is the best hope,  IMHO 

I would say that a treatment for Covid is the best hope.

If there were a proven treatment now, cruising would be in much better shape. Everyone is not going to trust a vaccine. People take cold medicines (treatments), for the flu, who have never had a flu vaccination. 

Covid could be like the HIV infection where there are treatments, but not a vaccine after 35-40 years.

14 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

But seriously, is cruising over with?

Of course cruising is not over with. However when it does resume passengers should prepare themselves for certain announcements from their captain to become inevitably common. Such as; "All passengers are instructed to go to their staterooms as the crew & local authorities figure out the best strategy to contain the virus on-board this vessel. We will keep you advised what day this week you'll be permitted to disembark"...

😷

Edited by ObstructedView2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem is the ports aren’t controlled by the states, they are controlled at the federal level. Unfortunately the CDC is going to kill the US cruise industry in my opinion. 

I hope not true. The CDC with the help of some senators!?

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Interesting. I remember back when this started the Maryland governor closing the port to cruises. https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/03/12/governor-hogan-announces-major-actions-to-protect-public-health-limit-spread-of-covid-19-pandemic/

So theorhetically if Carnival gets it's act together with these pre-cruising requirements, they can cruise from any port? That would be great because San Diego was set to get a CCL ship as well.

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Interesting. I remember back when this started the Maryland governor closing the port to cruises. https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/03/12/governor-hogan-announces-major-actions-to-protect-public-health-limit-spread-of-covid-19-pandemic/

So theorhetically if Carnival gets it's act together with these pre-cruising requirements, they can cruise from any port? That would be great because San Diego was set to get a CCL ship as well.

DeSantis, our governor, has said at least a few times that I have heard that he has no authority to overall the CDC when it comes to cruise ships departing from ports in Florida. 

16 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

But seriously, is cruising over with?

Of course there will be cruising again, because there is a demand for it.  But future cruising may not be via the Carnival we know.  It might instead be Carnival in some sort of reorganization.  Or it might be some new cruise line born from the ashes of Carnival and/or other cruise lines.  Cruising could resume before COVID is defeated, but even if not we will likely have an effective vaccine at some point, and barring that COVID may mutate away (like the Spanish Flu did, after three big infection waves and two years of suffering).

The ports are controlled jointly by the states and the Feds.  In many areas the locals may control the day to day activity at the port but the Feds control the Immigration and Customs aspect.  There is also a meshing of enforcement on the water that includes local LE, Fed LE and the Coast Guard.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, ray98 said:

Sure.  This charade can't go on forever.  Eventually society will reach a point where we realize we can outsmart a community spread virus such as this.  Masks, lock downs, restrictions do little to nothing as is being shown right now.  One day we will reach a point where you just have to go on with life and that may mean you contract COVID.  It will be just another chance we take in life.  Hopefully a successful vaccine comes down the road or the virus mutates into something less dangerous to us.

I discredited your entire post the second you called the pandemic a "charade."

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree that would be the end result if the President elect does what he says he will do.  If they shut it down past April, NCL will be the first to fall.  My guess is the major lines will then flip the bird at the US and head east, south and west.  There comes a time when survival instinct will have to click in,

• Like 1