Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

two vaccines in late stage trials shaping up to produce incredible effective rates , two more following in  late stage trials , coupled with two major drugs for therapy in late stage trials ( antibody cocktails). 

This looks to be a a real game changer. Optimism for me!

My belief is the average cruiser dictates when its over and most will look at  cruising when there is a reasonable prevention  with mitigation and effective treatment.

As far as when , who knows but there is light .

Bankruptcy is often used as a fiscal mechanism meant to for a company to continue to stay in business and while there are some losers , the company can  continue to go on and thrive . 

I have no clue who files , I would hope the lines do what they need to survive.

But I do believe there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Thank god for science ,private enterprise and new and improved technologies that got us here quickly .

• Like 1

once there is a vaccine and most have gotten it then it would be safe to cruise again. until then it is absolutely not going to happen. no one in the government is going to allow a ship full of people in close quarters to cruise around and then get off the ship and carry whatever they contracted back home to be spread. there is just no way to make it safe. restaurants on land at half capacity are not even safe.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, ray98 said:

Sure.  This charade can't go on forever.  Eventually society will reach a point where we realize we can outsmart a community spread virus such as this.  Masks, lock downs, restrictions do little to nothing as is being shown right now.  One day we will reach a point where you just have to go on with life and that may mean you contract COVID.  It will be just another chance we take in life.  Hopefully a successful vaccine comes down the road or the virus mutates into something less dangerous to us.

Well said!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RollingMeadows said:

I am hoping for Galveston to open up. Thoughts?

It's been reported that the third ship that Carnival will be using during the initial trial phase will be the Vista out of Galveston.  The other 2 are the Breeze and Horizon out of PC and Miami.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RollingMeadows said:

I am hoping for Galveston to open up. Thoughts?

My understanding is the the first Carnival cruises will be out of Florida, with the CDC mandated test cruises there, followed by booked cruises. My guess is that it would be at least two months after the start of test cruises in Florida for Galveston to have any cruises. They might have to have test cruises at every port. If so I would think at least three months after Florida for Galveston to have a real cruise.

22 minutes ago, Bevv said:

My understanding is the the first Carnival cruises will be out of Florida, with the CDC mandated test cruises there, followed by booked cruises. My guess is that it would be at least two months after the start of test cruises in Florida for Galveston to have any cruises. They might have to have test cruises at every port. If so I would think at least three months after Florida for Galveston to have a real cruise.

With NY's covid rate at one of the lowest in the country, I would love to see the Port in Manhattan open up for cruises!

1 hour ago, volfan22701 said:

once there is a vaccine and most have gotten it then it would be safe to cruise again. until then it is absolutely not going to happen. no one in the government is going to allow a ship full of people in close quarters to cruise around and then get off the ship and carry whatever they contracted back home to be spread. there is just no way to make it safe. restaurants on land at half capacity are not even safe.

absolutely...huh?😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And other than going to Bermuda or north to Canada (which has its borders closed) any cruise would be over the CDC 7 day limit mandate.

Many cruises out of Bayonne, which I realize is NJ go to the Bahamas and Royal's private island for 7 days

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 7:32 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Who will people be cruising on in 2022? If cruise lines go close to 2 years without being allowed to cruise, there likely won’t be any cruise lines left to cruise on.and it definitely won’t be anything like cruising was before this pandemic. 

10 hours ago, naxer said:

Yes, we will cruise again.  I think by summer.  The cruise lines will survive.  The hardware and successful business plan exist.  After we get the vaccine, the money will be there if it's needed.

The existing players may survive or not . The thing is the ships will remain , except for a few of the oldest , smallest and least efficient . If the current owners go out of business, someone will buy these spectacular  vessels at a great discount and eventually put them back to work  . It will be sadish if one or more of the current giants go under but their ships won't.

Edited by richstowe
Been months since I posted anything

16 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

Don't need to wait on vax's, since we do have treatments that work. Those medical supplies could be stored on each ship too. Be less expensive than going bankrupt in my humble opinion. 

So enlighten us.  If "we do have a treatment that works." Why are so many still dying?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, richstowe said:

The existing players may survive or not . The thing is the ships will remain , except for a few of the oldest , smallest and least efficient . If the current owners go out of business, someone will buy these spectacular  vessels at a great discount and eventually put them back to work  . It will be sadish if one or more of the current giants go under but their ships won't.

I agree with you that cruising will eventually resume at some point, even if the cruise industry as we know it ceases to exist. However, I think if a scenario plays out like you described, cruise fares will be significantly higher and cruises will no longer be a vacation that most people can afford. I still hope the major cruise lines return to operating from US ports soon, but my optimism goes down a little every day. 

IF cruise lines require a vaccine then it's looking like spring 2021 according to the latest report , when the vaccine will be available to the general public.

That was yesterday's news today could be totally different. I think the only thing CC members can agree on is this is something nobody expected or wants to see again.

29 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

IF cruise lines require a vaccine then it's looking like spring 2021 according to the latest report , when the vaccine will be available to the general public.

That was yesterday's news today could be totally different. I think the only thing CC members can agree on is this is something nobody expected or wants to see again.

I would agree that a vaccine solves many issues, there are certainly successful ways to start in the interim.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skridge said:

So enlighten us.  If "we do have a treatment that works." Why are so many still dying?

Because things are not mutually exclusive.  Treatment is def working and that front has the best outlook it has been.  That does not mean everyone is saved.  Having better successful treatment options does not mean that deaths stop.  Look at what is happening and be thankful.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, richstowe said:

I have not seen you post in a long while.  Let’s hope we do not get to this extreme point.  It would take years to unravel, and while the “industry” might survive and certainly better than nothing, it would be a very, very sad day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skridge said:

We have many treatments and preventive measures that are working. The overall death rate has gone down dramatically since the start of the pandemic.   

You will never stop death, that isnt the goal and cant be the goal.  Even after vaccines are out there in full, people will still die of COVID.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would agree that a vaccine solves many issues, there are certainly successful ways to start in the interim.  

If the cruise lines “require” the vaccine to sail that becomes the  issue.

You either have proof or don’t sail. Will it come to that time will tell.

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

If the cruise lines “require” the vaccine to sail that becomes the  issue.

You either have proof or don’t sail. Will it come to that time will tell.

I understood your post.  My reply was just making the point that does NOT have to be the only option for the interim time period. 

• Like 2