Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I understood your post.  My reply was just making the point that does NOT have to be the only option for the interim time period. 

Jimbo 

Sorry but if it is required , interim options can be taken out of play.

Sure many options could come into play , but again  a “requirement “ doesn’t leave a grey area. 

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Jimbo 

Sorry but if it is required , interim options can be taken out of play.

Sure many options could come into play , but again  a “requirement “ doesn’t leave a grey area. 

Understand, The discussion becomes moot when requirement is not tied to “if’ which it is right now.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have not seen you post in a long while.  Let’s hope we do not get to this extreme point.  It would take years to unravel, and while the “industry” might survive and certainly better than nothing, it would be a very, very sad day. 

No I haven't .There isn't much to say . We won't be cruising for a while . DW because of caution , me because the experience will be so degraded . YMMV . Although I have FCC's and near worthless stock to consider,  eventually someone will be using these wonderful ships providing an acceptable (to me) experience .

I believe one day we'll look back and say , WOW !! My mom has told be how crazy the polio scare was and the changes made to their lives . A few years later it was like a bad dream except for those permanently affected .

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Many cruises out of Bayonne, which I realize is NJ go to the Bahamas and Royal's private island for 7 days

And the Governor of New Jersey is just as likely as the Governor of NY to not allow cruises from his state. His state is also spiking, and he is considering new bans on activities.

47 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And the Governor of New Jersey is just as likely as the Governor of NY to not allow cruises from his state. His state is also spiking, and he is considering new bans on activities.

Where on earth could you possibly infer that I was stating that cruises from Bayonne would be starting up soon?  I was reacting to a post that stated that cruises under 8 days from NYC would only be able to go to Canada or Bermuda because of the CDC 7 day rule.  

Even with all of the excitement about the vaccines coming out with 90 and 94.5 % effectiveness, the cruise industry could be in serious trouble come January 20 with the new administration. 

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Where on earth could you possibly infer that I was stating that cruises from Bayonne would be starting up soon?  I was reacting to a post that stated that cruises under 8 days from NYC would only be able to go to Canada or Bermuda because of the CDC 7 day rule.  

Even with all of the excitement about the vaccines coming out with 90 and 94.5 % effectiveness, the cruise industry could be in serious trouble come January 20 with the new administration. 

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your posting about cruises from Bayonne was a reaction to the poster who thought cruises could start now from Manhattan.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because things are not mutually exclusive.  Treatment is def working and that front has the best outlook it has been.  That does not mean everyone is saved.  Having better successful treatment options does not mean that deaths stop.  Look at what is happening and be thankful.  

I agree the treatment is working to make the mortality better, but with the number of new cases spiraling out of control the number of people dying really isn't going down that much.  There were close to 800 deaths yesterday.  Excuse me if I am not thankful for 797 deaths.  Being down to 797 deaths in a day doesn't mean it is now a good idea to cram a bunch of people on a boat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your posting about cruises from Bayonne was a reaction to the poster who thought cruises could start now from Manhattan.

No worries, let's all just get on the same page and hope our vacation passion comes back in the near future with passengers adhering to the new protocol. 

Edited by SNJCruisers

49 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The promise of new effective vaccines gave me some optimism.

Then I read that we'll need vax compliance from 80 to 85% of the population for the mitigation.  My pessimism quickly returned.

The solution is the solution, you can look for the good side or the dark side.  3 months ago it was a pipe dream, now we are talking about eradicated the worst disease in ten centuries, does not sound pessimistic to me.   

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

The solution is the solution, you can look for the good side or the dark side.  3 months ago it was a pipe dream, now we are talking about eradicated the worst disease in ten centuries, does not sound pessimistic to me.   

Back in May 72% of adults said that they would get the vaccine.  That number was down to 51% in September.  That's not pessimistic that is realistic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skridge said:

Back in May 72% of adults said that they would get the vaccine.  That number was down to 51% in September.  That's not pessimistic that is realistic.

Maybe if the pandemic hits home and those who won't take the vaccine lose a loved one and people start to realize what we're truly up against, maybe those numbers could be reversed.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think the Spanish flu was worse than Covid-19 , at least at this point and lets hope it doesn't get nearly as bad as the Spanish flu.  I have some optimism finally after hearing about the vaccines.

That was only one century ago, so I have to disagree with you that this is the worst disease in the last 1000 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skridge said:

People are funny . If you can't get something , people want it more !

• Like 1

not to get political but here is my arm. GIVE ME the SHOT.  I want to teach in a normal classroom again. if this helps me get back to "normal".. YES.  Will this allow me to see Def Leppard next summer (sorry my favorite band..) YES. 

Will this need to be done to cruise YES YES I will do it. 

• Like 2

There's a story where a nurse in the Dakotas states she is dismayed by many of her ICU COVID patients who say she doesn't need PPE around them since they have lung cancer, pneumonia, flu, or anything but COVID.  Denial runs deep for some who say it's a hoax, or the virus will disappear after the election, or masks and distancing don't work, and the echo chamber they live in just reinforces their false beliefs.

That is why I'm not convinced we can reach the 80 to 85% inoculation level that Dr Fauci thinks is necessary to contain this virus.  We have those who are anti vaxxers, we have those who say coronavirus is a hoax, and there are those just skeptical of a new vaccine and will wait a while to see what happens to those who get the vax right away.

Put them all together, and it probably makes up 40 to 45% of Americans, if not more.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 2:50 PM, Radiioman46 said:

Don't need to wait on vax's, since we do have treatments that work. Those medical supplies could be stored on each ship too. Be less expensive than going bankrupt in my humble opinion. 

I've spent 3 days in a ships infirmary (Nieuw Staatendam - one of HALs newest ships).  They have very basic supplies and equipment.  I don't think they would be able to keep up with an outbreak, even with an investment into the equipment.

42 minutes ago, evandbob said:

There's a story where a nurse in the Dakotas states she is dismayed by many of her ICU COVID patients who say she doesn't need PPE around them since they have lung cancer, pneumonia, flu, or anything but COVID.  Denial runs deep for some who say it's a hoax, or the virus will disappear after the election, or masks and distancing don't work, and the echo chamber they live in just reinforces their false beliefs.

That is why I'm not convinced we can reach the 80 to 85% inoculation level that Dr Fauci thinks is necessary to contain this virus.  We have those who are anti vaxxers, we have those who say coronavirus is a hoax, and there are those just skeptical of a new vaccine and will wait a while to see what happens to those who get the vax right away.

Put them all together, and it probably makes up 40 to 45% of Americans, if not more.

I saw that story.  There are a lot of people who believe this is all a hoax.  The ones who said that it would be over by Election Day - how's it looking now?  

We had an outbreak in my area from a wedding that had 90 people attend, 30 people later tested positive for Covid-19.  The state liquor authority came down on the venue (a country club) hard, they had their liquor license suspended.  

• Like 2

I posted this thought before.  Half the people agree and the others think it too outlandish.  If they continue on the current course, Carnival most probably could not survice but there will be several cruise ships available that are new, almost new or reconditioned.  So they declare bankruptcy.  All debts go away (Including my $1,300 in gift cards, a $600 credit and 2 deposits).  The company name becomes NEW ADVENTURES and they start anew.  Prices immediately rise and considerably especially if capacity regulations continue.  Fewer ports, more sea days where more money is spent and more buy your own meal restaurants.  New stock is issued for beginning income.  You basically start all over once the vacines are available to all.  This may take all of 2021 so target for 2022.  Life goes back to normal.  Cruising goes to a new normal.  Carnival become a legend and we all talk about the good old days while having supper on a cruise.  Newbies are amazed.

Now don't get me wrong.  I think Carnival is great and I have 23 completed cruises with them to prove my point.   I hope I this prediction does not come about but, in the end, reality sets in.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, tinleypark andy said:

Covid could be like the HIV infection where there are treatments, but not a vaccine after 35-40 years.

I guess you aren't listening to the news?  There are several vaccines almost ready to be released.  Could something happen at the very last minute to prevent that - of course, but I think the odds of that happening are really low.

I don't disagree that treatments are also an important part of overall success in defeating the virus and stopping the pandemic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john91498 said:

Why start a new company? Just declare bankruptcy, reorganize, and continue operations.

Not a problem.  If they want to continue with the Carnival name, then fine.  If they invent a new name, it gives the impression things have changed and probably for the better. 

Or just flip a coin for the decision.