Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

2 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

The major cruise lines could avoid the CDC altogether, by sailing our of Quebec, for Caribbean sailings.  It is time for them to base their ships in Eastern Canada and service the Canadian market first, then North America.  Also, Panama & South American sailings, could save their companies from bankruptcy. 

Since Canada has closed its borders, are there enough Canadians who wish to cruise to fill the ships? I don't think so.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Since Canada has closed its borders, are there enough Canadians who wish to cruise to fill the ships? I don't think so.

It is a big country, with severe winters: offering comped trial cruises, I bet could get 100,000's+ volunteers and even more paying guests later. This has worked in Italy with MSC, so could work well, in closed nation like Canada. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It is a fair question.   The only way to find out is when Canada opens the borders.  

7 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

It is a big country, with severe winters: offering comped trial cruises, I bet could get 100,000's+ volunteers and even more paying guests later. This has worked in Italy with MSC, so could work well, in closed nation like Canada. 

Canada doesn’t have the same restrictions on cruising as has the United States; it’s much easier to understand:

Cruise ships with overnight accommodations carrying more than 100 people continue to be prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

This restriction is currently in place until end February, 2021.  Rest assured, it will be extended as long as there is a public health emergency in place here or the United States.

BTW, I do not believe there are enough Canadians itching to go on a cruise to even make this hypothetical strategy even remotely worthwhile contemplating.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Given what Canada requires, all returning from their cruises would have to quarantine. That would be a turnoff. Plus are you really going to abandon totally the market of passengers from the US? Remember, the border is closed so they cannot get there to take those hypothetical cruises.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Given what Canada requires, all returning from their cruises would have to quarantine. That would be a turnoff. Plus are you really going to abandon totally the market of passengers from the US? Remember, the border is closed so they cannot get there to take those hypothetical cruises.

In addition, Canada is not somehow immune to COVID-19 - Toronto is back in lockdown, the prime minister is pushing everyone in the country to stay home, and there are no provinces free of trouble: 

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-canada/canadas-atlantic-bubble-disintegrates-as-covid-19-cases-rise-idUSL1N2I91QW

Again, folks, the problem isn't "governors," Fauci or the CDC. The problem is the virus. And so far, it's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Regardless what you said, you have a lot of credibility w/ me....great album....but then again they only made great albums.  Best band of all time by far - and not just my opinion lol.

Learning that we're only immortal ....

for a limited time." - Neil Peart

Edited by bucfan2

25 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

In addition, Canada is not somehow immune to COVID-19 - Toronto is back in lockdown, the prime minister is pushing everyone in the country to stay home, and there are no provinces free of trouble: 

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-canada/canadas-atlantic-bubble-disintegrates-as-covid-19-cases-rise-idUSL1N2I91QW

Again, folks, the problem isn't "governors," Fauci or the CDC. The problem is the virus. And so far, it's not going anywhere.

I had no idea, as Don's Canadian cruise channel is always complaining about the US CDC, so I assumed Canada must be better.  Though today, he said that Canada is just going along with the US and basically giving up its sovereignty to the US.

• Haha 1

No, we are not ever going to get to cruise again.

Trump will recognize Taiwan's sovereignty as a parting shot to the Chinese on his way out of office.

This will piss off the Chinese and they will invade North America through Alaska cutting off our oil supplies. The Canadians will smile as they walk on by because, well, they're Canadians.

Refugees from Washington and Oregon will flood south and Biden will appropriate all cruise ships for FEMA housing.

California will gladly welcome their new communist buddies and all west coast ports will be closed.

Diamond and Platinum CCL level guests will flock to the Panorama in Long Beach harbor (that they have not had a chance to cruise on yet) and will hold the captain and crew hostage until they get their free drinks and laundry cleaned and pressed.

The entire cruise industry will collapse because they just have not cruised since March the year before and cities around the world ban cruise ships because they don't want any more dirty refugees mucking up their countries.

No, we will never be able to cruise again. The end.  

Edited by pc_load_letter
spelling
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

No, we are not ever going to get to cruise again.

Trump will recognize Taiwan's sovereignty as a parting shot to the Chinese on his way out of office.

This will piss off the Chinese and they will invade North America through Alaska cutting off our oil supplies. The Canadians will smile as they walk on by because, well, they're Canadians.

Refugees from Washington and Oregon will flood south and Biden will appropriate all cruise ships for FEMA housing.

California will gladly welcome their new communist buddies and all west coast ports will be closed.

Diamond and Platinum CCL level guests will flock to the Panorama in Long Beach harbor (that they have not had a chance to cruise on yet) and will hold the captain and crew hostage until they get their free drinks and laundry cleaned and pressed.

The entire cruise industry will collapse because they just have not cruised since March the year before and cities around the world ban cruise ships because they don't want any more dirty refugees mucking up their countries.

No, we will never be able to cruise again. The end.  

Very funny!  But some people won't get the sarcasm 😈

5 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

I’ve said all along , no cruise until late 2021 and I’m sticking with that.

Its not all true. I believe cruising will start its ordinary operation somewhere in February. I mean we have already developed a vaccine. Now its only  the matter of time when we manage to start implementing it into our life. I think it wont take that long really 

52 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its not all true. I believe cruising will start its ordinary operation somewhere in February. I mean we have already developed a vaccine. Now its only  the matter of time when we manage to start implementing it into our life. I think it wont take that long really 

I wish I shared your optimism. I have cruises booked in January and February that I expect both to be cancelled. I also have cruises booked in May, July and August. I am hopeful that at least the cruise in August actually sails.  

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

It's almost the 1st of December - I can't possibly imagine anything starting up in February, not even trial cruises.   I have always thought April/May is when things might start to get up and running again, but I think that really depends on what happens Dec - Feb with cases, hospitalizations, deaths, and how quickly the vaccine(s) start getting out to the general public.

Edited by mek

Distribution of an efficient vaccine to a majority of our population is just one part of cruise resumption.  The CDC issued a list of tests that the cruise lines must perform before allowing the restrictions to cease.  Remember that the lines will attempt short trial cruises to demonstrate their COVID mitigation and prevention proficiency.

Add in the issues of crew returning, supply lines being reformed, and ships reverted to cruise status, and it's likely we'll be disappointed if thinking cruising will return in January or February of 2021.

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

Distribution of an efficient vaccine to a majority of our population is just one part of cruise resumption.  The CDC issued a list of tests that the cruise lines must perform before allowing the restrictions to cease.  Remember that the lines will attempt short trial cruises to demonstrate their COVID mitigation and prevention proficiency.

Add in the issues of crew returning, supply lines being reformed, and ships reverted to cruise status, and it's likely we'll be disappointed if thinking cruising will return in January or February of 2021.

Since this is the Carnival board, I should have listed the environmental updates required by the judiciary for its' past violations to the above.  That will be another hurdle for Carnival to jump over on its way to cruise resumption.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Since this is the Carnival board, I should have listed the environmental updates required by the judiciary for its' past violations to the above.  That will be another hurdle for Carnival to jump over on its way to cruise resumption.

The step beyond quoting oneself is arguing with oneself. You can call them hurdles,just more steps,simply doing what was required and submitting to the judge.  

On 11/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, jimbo5544 said:

The step beyond quoting oneself is arguing with oneself. You can call them hurdles,just more steps,simply doing what was required and submitting to the judge.  

Which Carnival has demonstrated a history of not doing these "steps", never mind hurdles. They've been on probation for the same issues for years now without demonstrating any signs of taking corrective action.

Like you say, it should be simple for Carnival to comply and they've had plenty of opportunity to show the judge they haven't.

• Like 1