SeaDream and corvid

dalliowner

Seabourn is currently shut down until April 2021. That's a long time from now, in a world where developments change monthly and sometimes weekly. To be sure, the SeaDream mess doesn't do any favors to the entire cruise industry, but there's no way to project its impact 4-5 months from now. (I'd note that Silversea chartered one of its ships for weekly cruises in the Red Sea; the first one had a COVID case, but the following cruises apparently ran without incident.) Seabourn has its hands full now re-developing its US-based itineraries to not exceed 7 days, but I wouldn't otherwise expect to hear of more changes from Seabourn until after first of the year. Who know where we'll be with COVID cases, progress on vaccines, or the state of the world by January?

Cannot believe this latest setback will be good for the industry at all...esp those who were planning to test the waters soon with trail sailings w/ volunteers from US ports.

Understand the need for the lines to start somewhere.....but it appears SeaDream did everything right and they still could not prevent a case on board with a reduced capacity of guests and crew.

I think the infection rate is just so high right now that even with prior negative testing - unless passengers are quarantined at the port for 14 days in a bubble before embarking - there is a chance of becoming infected in transit while testing negative at embarkation only to develop symptoms on board. 

I know the vaccine is not a magic cure - but at the 90 to 95% rates they are stating this week - I for one will bide my time until vaccinations are widely available before I am back on board.....

Bob from New York

4 hours ago, cruiseman58 said:

I can't understand people taking a cruise during this pandemic.  Stay home and stay safe!  

I agree with you cruiseman58.  Things are so dire in the United States right now,  that planning travel is not even on the horizon.  We are hopeful about the vaccines, but have read that there is no guarantee as to how long the immunity would last.  There is still a lot we do not know.  I think cruising for us may still be more than a year away.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are vaccines in our future.  They will be safe and they will help us all get back to Seabourn faster.  Stay Safe Stay Home!!  This will end.  Listen to the Scientists and Doctors.  Do not listen to the soon to be over current administration.

• Like 1

We have a dear friend who had booked Seadream for a cruise a couple of weeks after the ill-fated one.  Needless to say, she is not going. She wrote that she has lost track of all the refunds and credits due her for so many 2020 cancellations.  I guess she is just like the rest of us, but a bit more intrepid and eager to sail.  Sad to state that, IMHO, we all have to wait for an effective widespread vaccine to sail again.  That said, we booked 19 days on the sea for December, 2021 just this week.  Gotta dream.