Iona

Bin man

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

To a degree. There are some major design differences between the Aida / Costa sub fleet and the P&O/Carnival sub fleet.

Quite so, but a good gauge for the scale of the ship.  In these cruise starved times, will be nice to something.

2 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Whilst not Iona, on Quest channel 1st December 9pm is a documentary of AIDAnova at sea.  TV guide note:-

The AIDAnova cruise ship boasts 23 bars, 17 restaurants and an amusement park. What keeps this state-of-the-art vessel running as it navigates the Atlantic Ocean?

Might be interesting, as we can't see on board Iona as yet.

An amusement park on Iona would be great . Wouldn't it ?. Perhaps a flowrider as well.🎠

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zap99 said:

An amusement park on Iona would be great . Wouldn't it ?. Perhaps a flowrider as well.🎠

You're trying to provoke a hostile reaction from the traditionalists again zap! But I am hoping that Iona 2, which Moley says will be a hot climate cruise ship, might have a lot more in common with the RCI ships than previous P&O ships.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You're trying to provoke a hostile reaction from the traditionalists again zap! But I am hoping that Iona 2, which Moley says will be a hot climate cruise ship, might have a lot more in common with the RCI ships than previous P&O ships.

Me. Again. I don't know what you mean. I did think a Barnard Castle theme park would be popular.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They won't be sending her to the fjords then. 😀

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joeecco said:

What are the rumours regarding her maiden voyage? Will it be the first sailing on 24 April or later? We are booked on May 1 sailing. 

I think the trouble at the moment is that nobody can absolutely guarantee that 24th April will be her first sailing. Whilst we are hearing positive noises here about the vaccine, the pandemic won’t be completely over by April and we know that cruises are likely be amongst the last things to return to normality. It’s obviously looking a lot more hopeful than the previous scheduled commencement dates, but then there’s the whole issue of the crew, coming from places like India and the Philippines etc.  

8 hours ago, tring said:

Looking at the deck plans for Iona.  Is the sky dome retractable or is it fixed in place?

From the artists impressions that I have seen, along with the descriptions of what the area will be used for, like John I got the impression that’s it’s fixed. I suspect that there might be a few panels that will open a little to dissipate any heat build up, but the design of it would make a full opening feature quite challenging I would think. Only surmising though - don’t know for certain as Iona seems to be a state secret!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

From the artists impressions that I have seen, along with the descriptions of what the area will be used for, like John I got the impression that’s it’s fixed. I suspect that there might be a few panels that will open a little to dissipate any heat build up, but the design of it would make a full opening feature quite challenging I would think. Only surmising though - don’t know for certain as Iona seems to be a state secret!

There is a You Tube video showing being put in plave, and it looks as though its bolted down, which is why I have assumed it is fixed in place.

• Thanks 1

When I saw a picture of the sky dome I thought it was non retractable and it appears to cover two decks as well, with a walkway around the top of pool deck which would be sad from our perspective.  The panels look like modern greenhouses, so possibly an automatic ventilation system with some windows adjusting as needed.

We were on Arcadia to the Baltic in mid summer in recent years and weather was really warm and sunny, but the pool roof was closed most of the way throughout which we found very oppressive.  We normally travel on smaller ships so are used to good access to light and fresh air. 

Very strange P&O have not put out more details to encourage interest.

Edited by tring

More details are due to come out most weeks now. The new Carnival Corp year kicked off today and PR is back on the agenda!

I can confirm the roof is fixed. It is an indoor space. Iona was built for sailing from Southampton hence an indoor pool.

The reason for no internal photos yet is the ship is technically in warm layup so lots of coverings/dust sheets etc. You just wouldn’t get the same wow factor in the photos.

Current plans for her to travel to Southampton in March. Robert Camby has been Captain since handover and continues until she leaves for Southampton.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

More details are due to come out most weeks now. The new Carnival Corp year kicked off today and PR is back on the agenda!

I can confirm the roof is fixed. It is an indoor space. Iona was built for sailing from Southampton hence an indoor pool.

The reason for no internal photos yet is the ship is technically in warm layup so lots of coverings/dust sheets etc. You just wouldn’t get the same wow factor in the photos.

Current plans for her to travel to Southampton in March. Robert Camby has been Captain since handover and continues until she leaves for Southampton.

Thanks for the update. 
Do we know the reason for her not sailing into UK waters yet? Seems odd to have Iona berthed in Norway but the rest all anchored in bays. 

On 11/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, amfc_lenny said:

Looking forward to seeing mighty cruise ships tomorrow night 9pm on quest.

Focusing on the Aidanova, whilst I’m aware there will be differences it should give an idea of the size and scale of Iona. I think it has the same skydome? 

Having seen the programme I am thinking it was a mistake to book Iona for next June as the ship looked so crowded.

DH not phased though and part of the idea was to try what P&O is becoming, to assess if we want to cruise with them in the future.  Overall though, the itinerary and the cabin is spot on, especially if COVID restrictions are still in place as we would be happy with a trip in a couple of ports and to stay on board to enjoy the scenery when up the fjords.  I really hope the atmosphere on Iona is not quite as hyper as the Aida one though.

• Like 1

I think because of the way that Aida Nova has a big performance space in the center atrium it makes the ship fill crowded.

Iona not in UK waters so that it doesn't generate UK press. Carnival don't want Iona coming into Southampton every 4 weeks and that causing crowds of people. Carnival want the opportunity to have the big arrival.

Additionally, the waterways around Norway and Skagen are less congested that the English Channel so easier to take her for a spin!

In all seriousness, many ships are located at unusual ports at present. Carnival have a big contingent of ships at anchorage, based out of Skagen. Being a new ship it makes sense to have her alongside rather than at anchorage.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I think because of the way that Aida Nova has a big performance space in the center atrium it makes the ship fill crowded.

Iona not in UK waters so that it doesn't generate UK press. Carnival don't want Iona coming into Southampton every 4 weeks and that causing crowds of people. Carnival want the opportunity to have the big arrival.

Additionally, the waterways around Norway and Skagen are less congested that the English Channel so easier to take her for a spin!

In all seriousness, many ships are located at unusual ports at present. Carnival have a big contingent of ships at anchorage, based out of Skagen. Being a new ship it makes sense to have her alongside rather than at anchorage.

Thanks for that information.

Another thing that we are thinking could be an advantage regards not sailing at present, is that there should be not any minor work still going on after she sails as would have had quite a bit of the ship in operation previously, so hopefully not find too many snags when she does start sailing either, though most passenger cabins would presumably not been used.  I am thinking about how snags are often found on new cars etc. 

Is it currently expected to bring her to the UK shortly before sailing begins?  I expect the UK authorities would also prefer not to have her turn up at Southampton, or elsewhere in the UK, at present, given how the laid up ships seem to have become tourist attractions.

Trying to book a trip on our Iona cruise next June (they are already available), but the system is not giving us the Peninsular discount that I thought we are entitled to.  Have I got that wrong, or should we get a discount?

EDIT

No longer a problem, sorry about that, but after I "put it in the basket", the discount was applied,

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The P&O website now has an array of new photos and information about the entertainment venues on Iona, plus a video clip of the sky dome.

Just had a look (although the only way I could find them was clicking on the link P&O posted on fb). Looks like she will have some nice interiors but to be honest, I am still trying to work out whether they are actual photos that have been posted or CGI renderings...

22 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just had a look (although the only way I could find them was clicking on the link P&O posted on fb). Looks like she will have some nice interiors but to be honest, I am still trying to work out whether they are actual photos that have been posted or CGI renderings...

They are only architects renders.  Bit disappointing, still looking for real photos.

• Like 1