Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1117World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Not a fan of electronic greeting cards, but I love (but don't make) homemade bread and hiking.  So true on the quote and an interesting meal suggestion.  My alternative is Elizabeth Faulkner's Chicken Noodle Soup, David Burke's Spice Crusted Prime Rib, and Rudi Soloman's Baked Alaska, my final dinner on my 2017 Prinsendam transatlantic.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes1117.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

Summer Slope’s Daughter, exposed at school

Dfish’s brother

Pretty much the whole US and Covid

Nicaragua and Iota

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Old Mike

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Hope for a vaccine

Improvement for Hflors

5 years cancer free for Maryland Governor Larry Hogan

Roy                                

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the map.

Great quote.

An interesting collection of days.  I love homemade bread, haven't made any in a while, so today's the day.  I enjoy hiking, but not today.  I'll take the dog for a walk when it gets light in a little while.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, I was thinking we would have chicken tonight, so I'll google that recipe and decide if that fills our plates tonight.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

The wind has eased a bit here, but there's that darn white stuff on the ground now.

A big thank you from me to the linesmen and others who restored our electricity yesterday.  There were thousands without power, so happy it's back on.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  Happy news today on refunds.  When our March cruise got cancelled we took a FCC.  After two additional cancellations of cruises we decided to request a refund of the original amount.  This morning we got the last refund posted to our credit card.  We are now fully refunded from the original cruise.  Now what to do with five FCD’s each.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  Happy news today on refunds.  When our March cruise got cancelled we took a FCC.  After two additional cancellations of cruises we decided to request a refund of the original amount.  This morning we got the last refund posted to our credit card.  We are now fully refunded from the original cruise.  Now what to do with five FCD’s each.

Glad to hear it.  I am wondering if there is any chance they will extend the expiration date on some of the FCC.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Glad to hear it.  I am wondering if there is any chance they will extend the expiration date on some of the FCC.

I would think they will have to with the longer itineraries frozen right now.

My FCC has to be used by the end of December.  My cruise is frozen so I can’t use them to rebook even if I wanted to (I don’t).  I guess time will tell.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all the fellow dailyites.

Congrats on getting your refunds.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Our DD got tested yesterday, will get the results in 2-3 days.

The days are interesting, I make homemade cards, never electronic.  Used to make bread but sold my bread maker in a garage sale.  And take a Hike day is good to get out of the house.

Mint Julep:

Main alcohol: Bourbon whiskey

Ingredients: 1 teaspoon Powdered sugar, 2 oz. Bourbon whiskey, 2 teaspoons Water, 4 Mint leaves
Preparation: In a highball glass gently muddle the mint, sugar and water. Fill the glass with cracked ice, add Bourbon and stir well until the glass is well frosted. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Mint sprig

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Be extra safe for gatherings at Thanksgiving.
  • Like 13

41 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good for you 🙂

Our meal of the day - somewhere out, haven't decided where to go yet.  Michigan is shutting down indoor dining for 3 weeks starting at midnight......   

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s an interesting collection of days.  Several of my friends send the electronic greeting cards so they would celebrate but me?  I prefer the real thing that you hold in your hand 😉 

Love homemade bread (who doesn’t?) and a nice hike is always great.

The quote is right on.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks.  I used my left over chicken to make a chicken Parmesan casserole (based on the other day’s meal suggestion) so we’ll probably finish that off tonight 😉 

@Crazy For Catsgood news on your refunds, indeed. 

Have to confess, I am getting the urge to “get outta here” and have a trip.  Not possible of course but....

71A5FE03-A44F-49FA-B09E-DB3A009003D7.thumb.jpeg.7ebc674a11b6d30699334cf648c29320.jpeg

Hopefully next year will be a better one for all of us:

7E544715-495F-4F4B-90A1-2B8CC6548F5E.thumb.jpeg.ff6e2247b3573be14f9a7c90d724bf44.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & anyone who needs them and a toast to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

What a nice morning to wake up and head for the coffee pot and my Daily dose. Thank you Rich.

Good morning sweet sisters. Love you muchly.

Congrats on getting your refund Crazy. We waited a very long while to get our refunds and worried they weren't forthcoming, but showed up eventually.

Thank you Roy for the cares and cheers. I did have a double take on this prayer though: "Summer Slope’s Daughter, exposed at school"

As I mentioned a day or two ago, I am Bohemian, and have loved baking over the year's. Our favorite bread is called Houska. A rich, eggy, yeasty bread with nut meats and a few dried fruits. Heavenly! I won 1st place at our fair in Montana..

I do not send, nor want an ecard. I honestly will not even open them. Send a heartfelt email or even a text, but don't send an ecard. I am a writer person and send friend notes all the time, especially now with some friends being shut in alone. 

We used to drink juleps on Kentucky Derby day. I would just take a few sips to celebrate. We had an old straw hat that Allen wore, and my Derby hat was a huge sombrero (blue velvet with gilded gold braids) that we got in Mexico one time. All of our friends had these hideous hats and it was great fun.

Have an awesome day. Don't give up, we are almost there! Have Thanksgiving and Christmas in July.

So YES to home made bread. NO to e-cards. YES to hiking:

60++ Hilarious Hiking & Camping Memes You Absolutely Have To See

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Great news on your refunds.  I don't have much tied up with HAL right now but did recently get a $650 refund on my waitlist deposit on the 2021 World Cruise.  The only other thing booked at the time was the Zuiderdam New England last September and I have a FCC on that.

Roy

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great combination of days - I'm not a fan of electronic greeting cards (I like real ones), and it's been too long since we've been able to take a hike, but I do make buns every couple of weeks.  I'm sure it's been at least 40 years since I made bread/buns, but since I discovered the 2 Hour Bun recipe, it's like the skies opened up and the sun began to shine!  The smell of buns baking in the house is SO nice!

I have to take my car in today; apparently it doesn't have a block heater.  For those of you who might not know, here on the "frozen tundra" we need them  to keep the engine warm during the cold winter nights.  I guess for the past couple of winters we must have kept my Outlander in the garage, but this year DH says it stays outside while our daily driver (his old Ford Escape AWD) will be babied indoors.

I love both Rich and Roy's menu suggestions, but looking through our deep freeze yesterday, I realized I have so much frozen soup that it's time we started eating it and make some space in there.  Soup and the last of the buns will be gracing our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising of the wine glasses to all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your mask and wash your hands!

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days. Our weather is perfect for a hike. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!  Another red wine day! The meal sounds great. Love the quote. Will skip the drink.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating - including everyone who received their refunds!
Stay well everyone!

This red blend from Portugal has excellent ratings, but you might not be able to find the 2016 vintage. Luckily the 2017 vintage shares the same great rating & is easier to find. Prices in the low $20 range. This sounds like something I would enjoy.

#98 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Beautiful purple color with fresh notes of raspberry, blackberry and spices. On the palate, this wine shows round and velvety tannins, good concentration, and a long finish.

Blend: 60% Touriga Nacional, 25% Touriga Franca, 10% Tinta Roriz, 5% Tinta Francisca 

WS90

Wine Spectator: Zesty currant and boysenberry notes are tangy and inviting in this spicy, medium-bodied red, with moderate tannins supporting the herb, tea and mineral details on the finish. Drink now through 2023.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@ger_77 Do you make the 2 hour buns with yeast? I had a terrible time finding yeast during the shutdown. Finally ordered it from Amazon Pantry. No problem finding it here in Texas, although would love to find some fresh yeast cakes..

Yes, they are made with yeast.  I had a few packages in the cupboard when everything was in chaos, then was able to find 2 jars at a small convenience store shortly after.  I keep the yeast in the freezer (at the suggestion of a friend who has kept her huge jar in there for 6 years) and use it as needed. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@ger_77 Do you make the 2 hour buns with yeast? I had a terrible time finding yeast during the shutdown. Finally ordered it from Amazon Pantry. No problem finding it here in Texas, although would love to find some fresh yeast cakes..

Not Gerry, but I know the recipe she is referencing.  it’s from the “Official Quarantine Cookbook” FB group & book.  Yes, yeast is used.

I had a problem finding yeast at the beginning too.  Discovered yeast for a bread maker works quite well with just a minor adjustment and it always seemed to be available.   Just in case it is of help.

• Like 8

Today's sunrises is actually a pair of shots, probably 1 lap apart, on the final sea day on my  infamous Crystal Symphony "Sandy" Panama Canal cruise, with a delay and change in departure port due to Superstorm Sandy in 2012:

predawn17.jpg

One lap later:

dawn17.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great combination of days - I'm not a fan of electronic greeting cards (I like real ones), and it's been too long since we've been able to take a hike, but I do make buns every couple of weeks.  I'm sure it's been at least 40 years since I made bread/buns, but since I discovered the 2 Hour Bun recipe, it's like the skies opened up and the sun began to shine!  The smell of buns baking in the house is SO nice!

I have to take my car in today; apparently it doesn't have a block heater.  For those of you who might not know, here on the "frozen tundra" we need them  to keep the engine warm during the cold winter nights.  I guess for the past couple of winters we must have kept my Outlander in the garage, but this year DH says it stays outside while our daily driver (his old Ford Escape AWD) will be babied indoors.

I love both Rich and Roy's menu suggestions, but looking through our deep freeze yesterday, I realized I have so much frozen soup that it's time we started eating it and make some space in there.  Soup and the last of the buns will be gracing our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising of the wine glasses to all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your mask and wash your hands!

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

OMG, block heaters!   Yeah I bet most here have never heard of them.  When I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I made sure every truck had one 🙂    High of 33 F today, winter is coming.

• Like 10