Christmas Seadream cancelled

cburger100

This thread has gone so far off topic.  To the original poster, I think you should consider yourself lucky that this happened.  Lay low, and wait for the next year and the year after, etc., etc.  Bars are open.  It's perfectly legal to go to them.  Traveling to the cruise results in potential exposures.  The available testing is inadequate to keep an infected person off the ship..

5 hours ago, jtwind said:

This thread has gone so far off topic.  

“off topic” !

Thought Hum was reading “Idle jottings...” (were rarely on topic).

Never stray there........don’t think Hum’s seen you there.

Wise man.

Hum found posts here interesting and informative and wholly relevant to current situation.

Thankyou all contributors including your good self.

Don’t be discouraged.

Considered opinions are valued (gives Sea Dream an insight into guests thoughts too).

It is not possible to be off topic on "Idle Jottings".  Wikipedia defines "Idle Jottings" as "The mad, pointless ramblings at one post on Cruise Critic.  Idle Jottings are thought to be the disjointed creation of a somewhat mad, reclusive English Lord."  🍸😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

It is not possible to be off topic on "Idle Jottings".  Wikipedia defines "Idle Jottings" as "The mad, pointless ramblings at one post on Cruise Critic.  Idle Jottings are thought to be the disjointed creation of a somewhat mad, reclusive English Lord."  🍸😎

I am just happy that Idle Jottings is back in business. It was sorely missed. xo

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think the thread started with Cancelled Christmas Cruise. Ours too. New Year's. Tough times for SD. I am sorry to say we are still waiting for refund. Been over a month. Hoping our Sept. 2021 cruise still on. The news from Britain is just awful. Be well everyone!

23 hours ago, laurelguy said:

I think the thread started with Cancelled Christmas Cruise. Ours too. New Year's. Tough times for SD. I am sorry to say we are still waiting for refund. Been over a month. Hoping our Sept. 2021 cruise still on. The news from Britain is just awful. Be well everyone!

We also were booked over New Year's as well as the following voyage.  No refund here either but I'm sure it'll arrive in due course.  Our next scheduled SD trip is mid-May.  Hoping (but not overly optimistic) that will happen.

1 hour ago, ctbjr1309 said:

We also were booked over New Year's as well as the following voyage.  No refund here either but I'm sure it'll arrive in due course.  Our next scheduled SD trip is mid-May.  Hoping (but not overly optimistic) that will happen.

I truly hope by March-April the Med cruises will open up. Am I being overly optimistic?!

2 hours ago, ctbjr1309 said:

I think so but I also originally thought that things would be back to normal way before now so what do I know?

You are pretty smart guy.  And what will "normal" be?  Strange fact is that during the Obama/Biden administration, H1N1 killed around 675,000 Americans.  No shutdowns, no killing the cruise/restaurant/hospitality industry, no travel restrictions.  Not really sure what happened this year but I hope it never happens again.  The shutdowns, a new flu or virus is inevitable at some point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Naveron said:

Hi Jim it’s not my style to challenge anyone’s statements but I thought the CDC reported just over 12,000 deaths due to H1N1 in its first year of outbreak in the US. 

I got my figure from Wikipedia so grain of salt?  I'm probably wrong so I am going to the virtual TOY Bar for a martini....🍸  Still, I hope this shutdown stuff is not the new response to every new disease.  

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

hate to keep the off topic thread going.  I can shed light.  You are both right.

675,000 number is the H1N1, but H1N1 during the Spanish Flu (1918).  The Recent H1N1 outbreak was closer to 12,000.   To add "gas" to the fire, there is a paper, (I think it was from Zurich ETH -- I am having trouble keeping them all straight - so I could be mis remembering) that looked at data collection of these pandemics.  Specifically they looked at Spanish flu,  h1n1 (swine flu - aka 2009/10) and the current situation.  It talked about inconsistent data collection between events and collection agencies.  So one example is the "comorbidity" issue.  With covid, they found the comorbidities have largely been ignored in western nations and regardless what else was going on, deaths are being recorded as covid.  Where H1n1 (swine flu 2009/10), comorbidities were taken into account and if there was another major health issue that was know, that was recorded as the cause.  However back to covid, developing nations are taking comorbidities are being taken into account.  It is all fascinating stuff.  The short answer, the data is NOT comparable.  If you have been trying to make sense of why some places have low numbers, now you have a published theory.

To simplify the comorbidity issue with an analogy.  I have two drinks (Adult kind),  I am sick and have a headache,  I have kids screaming in the back, it is raining, I have bald tires, and I am a bad driver, and I get in an accident which thing caused it. It is very difficult to say which one(s) caused it and which one(s) if eliminated could have prevented it.

peace to everyone.  take care of yourselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1