Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits

EvoUSA

48 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We feel the same way which is why we just booked a Regent Alaska cruise to try them out.  We already know what AZ and Oceania deliver.  We liked them both.  So as Celebrity raises prices as a wanna be, we found that AZ aft facing cabin.

BTW I no longer use "X" to refer to Celebrity.  The X was from when Chandris owned them.  Celebrity certainly doesn't maintain that standard.  Maybe I'll start calling them "XX"....the double cross company. 🤣

Aware of the history of X, but I guess as long as they show it on their ships, It's still 'X' for me....LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

It will be interesting to see how you like Regent.  We experience our first Regent cruise in January 2020.  Celebrity removed the regular 14 day Caribbean cruise (it was our favorite every January), so we paid a premium to try Regent’s 14 day version.  As I am sure you know, Regent is much more all inclusive than Celebrity’s AI (Always Included) or even Celebrity’s  Best package.  A lot to like about Regent.  The specialty restaurants are included and are excellent, but the MDR quality and variety is amazing. The service was outstanding and the shows excellent considering the smaller size. (We were on their largest ship).

There were some things that we like better on Celebrity, some of them depends on whether one is in a suite.  It should  be a great experience. If you do not normally stay in a suite on Celebrity and the Regent price is in the ball park of the Celebrity price, regent would be an obviously choice IMO.

We've done a couple of the extended South Caribbean XX cruises and really enjoyed them. Also liked the former 14 nites to NE/Canada.  They don't do those any longer only shorter.

I didn't book Regent for the price.  I booked it for the experience.  Why leave it to my nieces and nephews? 😁  We booked a concierge to start because it included air, all the excursions and a 5 star hotel night pre-cruise in Vancouver plus the other inclusive items.  My TA is also rebating us $1,450 no need for OBC with real all inclusive.  Besides, I'm looking forward to lots of lobster and Alaskan Crab legs for several meals.

We also like the smaller ships that are more intimate. We have a Celebrity suite (our first suite) booked in Feb 2022 and Regent in Sept 2022. It will be interesting to compare the two so close to each other.

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

We've done a couple of the extended South Caribbean XX cruises and really enjoyed them. Also liked the former 14 nites to NE/Canada.  They don't do those any longer only shorter.

I didn't book Regent for the price.  I booked it for the experience.  Why leave it to my nieces and nephews? 😁  We booked a concierge to start because it included air, all the excursions and a 5 star hotel night pre-cruise in Vancouver plus the other inclusive items.  My TA is also rebating us $1,450 no need for OBC with real all inclusive.  Besides, I'm looking forward to lots of lobster and Alaskan Crab legs for several meals.

We also like the smaller ships that are more intimate. We have a Celebrity suite (our first suite) booked in Feb 2022 and Regent in Sept 2022. It will be interesting to compare the two so close to each other.

Was the XX rated cruise a lot less risqe than the XXX rated one?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pennstatedj said:

I just finished new email from X. All I can say is Wow. After reading all the great new benefits given to me as an Elite Plus with over 60 cruises, I can only say that I have only 1 more cruise left on X. I have been very loyal for the last 25 years, but this is the worst marketing move the CEO has ever made. I will be going back to being open to cruising with others after I use my credit voucher. I knew she would take this opportunity to use Covid as an excuse to reduce perks and sky lounge use. Extra parties and discounts on spa and photos and laundry pressing are not benefits. I just heard Princess Ceo yell with thanks to Lisa. Happy sailing to all when it starts. 

Being an elite plus member on celebrity, and having sailed a few times on Princess, you cannot compare the two lines.  Food, entertainment and service so much better on Celebrity.  Princess doesn't give great perks to suite guests or those who have sailed often.  I actually prefer the elimination of the sky lounge daily cocktail parties.  The snacks were horrible and skimpy and who needs to be in a crowded room with others.  Times are changing.  I predict that you will be back to celebrity.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

The “improvement” of removing the Captain’s Club lounge has eliminated a major source of our enjoyment of cruising with CELEBRITY. The lounge afforded a place where we looked forward to reuniting with previous cruisers and provided a place where people could hold a conversation without the noise and loud music of a bar. There were no such alternative venues on our previous cruise which, otherwise, was nearly perfect. PLEASE reconsider this ill advised decision which other Elite and Elite Plus guests to whom we have spoken are also in full agreement.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sky Lounge  most afternoons from 5.0

P to 7.0 pm

Exactly my point. Same as where it's always been. There is not now, nor has there been in the past a "Celebrity Club" lounge. There has been a Captain's Club get together where you said but there is not a dedicated lounge like Royal Caribbean has. 

I believe once upon a time Michael's Club was used for these gatherings, but that hasn't been the case in over 10 years or more. 

Edited by ORV
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sky Lounge  most afternoons from 5.0

P to 7.0 pm

This was the Sky Lounge on Silhouette, on our 2nd evening, on a recent staycation cruise.

No ‘atmosphere’ whatsoever. 
In the past CD Sue Denning would make an appearance and chat. 
No evidence of CD Lewis at Happy Hour.

BC0ADC79-B6DF-4717-9EC5-0D7F39FC2542.jpeg

10 hours ago, ORV said:

<snip>

I believe once upon a time Michael's Club was used for these gatherings, but that hasn't been the case in over 10 years or more. 

Hello,

Yes, indeed it was. It had subdued lighting in a faux wood panelled room so to some it seemed a little dark yet to others more intimate. There was often a guitarist or pianist playing softly in the background.

Regards,

Cublet

14 hours ago, upwarduk said:

This was the Sky Lounge on Silhouette, on our 2nd evening, on a recent staycation cruise.

No ‘atmosphere’ whatsoever. 
In the past CD Sue Denning would make an appearance and chat. 
No evidence of CD Lewis at Happy Hour.

BC0ADC79-B6DF-4717-9EC5-0D7F39FC2542.jpeg

looking for a friend..  sad

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, 58alan said:

The “improvement” of removing the Captain’s Club lounge has eliminated a major source of our enjoyment of cruising with CELEBRITY. The lounge afforded a place where we looked forward to reuniting with previous cruisers and provided a place where people could hold a conversation without the noise and loud music of a bar. There were no such alternative venues on our previous cruise which, otherwise, was nearly perfect. PLEASE reconsider this ill advised decision which other Elite and Elite Plus guests to whom we have spoken are also in full agreement.

It would be a major disaster if Celebrity returned to the practice of only offering the cocktail party in a single location.  It would need to be a very large facility.  Spreading the ability to get unlimited free drinks at almost any bar was a popular and much needed improvement.  (Even better than the three coupons).  Of course with the drink packages/ AI the free drink portion has limited value for most passengers.

Have you forgotten?

18 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

It would be a major disaster if Celebrity returned to the practice of only offering the cocktail party in a single location.  It would need to be a very large facility.  Spreading the ability to get unlimited free drinks at almost any bar was a popular and much needed improvement.  (Even better than the three coupons).  Of course with the drink packages/ AI the free drink portion has limited value for most passengers.

Have you forgotten?

I disagree. On the cruises we were on the Sky Lounge was prefect size for the CC HH. Even before AI you could go to most bars/lounges and get unlimited CC HH drinks during the two hour HH window. No snacks at the other bars/lounges like in the SL. 

Have you forgotten?

Edited by davekathy

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I disagree. On the cruises we were on the Sky Lounge was prefect size for the CC HH. Even before AI you could go to most bars/lounges and get unlimited CC HH drinks during the two hour HH window.

Have you forgotten?

I have not.  I guess I have totally different experiences.  I do cruise on longer cruises with a lot of Elite/Elite plus members.  The over crowded was way before the AI.  
At first  Celebrity did not offer the drink packages on TA cruises.  Because of the overcrowding Celebrity was forced to create a system, when passengers were give three coupons a day to be used at other bars.  The sunset bar became an excellent alternative.  Even when the old 123 program and drink packages were implemented on the TAs, the coupon practice continued.  The same for the 14 day Caribbean cruises.

I loved the old HH in the Michael’s Club, but it became too crowded with the increasing numbers.  The Michael’s club was repurposed.

The bottom line is the number of Elite and Elite plus members on any cruise is just two large for a single venue.  The perk packages slowed down the over crowding.

Of course the coupon system was further improved by offering unlimited select drinks at any bar from 5-7 PM.  

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I have not.  I guess I have totally different experiences.  I do cruise on longer cruises with a lot of Elite/Elite plus members.  The over crowded was way before the AI.  
At first  Celebrity did not offer the drink packages on TA cruises.  Because of the overcrowding Celebrity was forced to create a system, when passengers were give three coupons a day to be used at other bars.  The sunset bar became an excellent alternative.  Even when the old 123 program and drink packages were implemented on the TAs, the coupon practice continued.  The same for the 14 day Caribbean cruises.

I loved the old HH in the Michael’s Club, but it became too crowded with the increasing numbers.  The Michael’s club was repurposed.

The bottom line is the number of Elite and Elite plus members on any cruise is just two large for a single venue.  The perk packages slowed down the over crowding.

Of course the coupon system was further improved by offering unlimited select drinks at any bar from 5-7 PM.  

All depends on the itinerary and time of year. Agree some cruises could be top tier (elite, elite+ and zenith) heavy. All cruises aren't what you just posted and why I said the cruises we've been on. You're further/detailed explanation I agree with. Remember, one size doesn't fit all. 🍷

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

To me a full restoration of benefits and gatherings will indicate that Celebrity feels that they have control of the situation and have confidence that it is safe to cruise. That's the time I will book a new cruises!

1 hour ago, Orator said:

To me a full restoration of benefits and gatherings will indicate that Celebrity feels that they have control of the situation and have confidence that it is safe to cruise. That's the time I will book a new cruises!

Imo, X already feels in control of the situation, as much as they can be. The fact that they did resume cruising indicated their confidence to us. We enjoyed our recent cruise on the Edge and look forward to the future cruises we have booked.

Circumstances are evolving… I hope you will be happy with whatever X finally decides.

Hope to see you on board soon.

🌺🌼🌺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I admit that I have not read completely through this thread on Updated Captain's Club benefit but gather that many folks are very unhappy that there is no longer a dedicated venue for the CC "happy hour gathering"

Our input may be different.  We have never really particularly cared about the CC "happy hour" venue as we don't cruise to meet new friends or chat with strangers.  The sky Lounge was always a favorite hang out,  but during "happy hour" we would try to find a two person table, unless traveling with friends.  We were uncomfortable asking to join others at a table and honestly didn't welcome strangers asking to join us.    Thus, for us, the elimination of a designated CC "happy hour" lounge is no big deal.  Plus the CC selection of wine is not very pleasing.  

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

• Like 2