Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits

EvoUSA

11 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Sorry, does that mean if we are just 2 in our party, we still get the free internet minutes?

Yes. It will either be covered by your "Always Included" booking, or if that doesn't apply then by the Captains Club Elite or higher current benefit.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Has anyone ever been a member of a Loyalty program that has not reduced benefits?    The airline programs are always increasing the mileage needed for upgrades or free flights.   I also remember when there were no loyalty programs so I guess we will return to those times.   At least you will still get the benefits that come with certain room classes, Aqua and Suite.

Some of the airline and hotel ones have arguably improved due to the pandemic, although as a general trend, usually the benefits erode away with time (and/or there are higher thresholds to achieve the same benefits).

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Has anyone ever been a member of a Loyalty program that has not reduced benefits?    The airline programs are always increasing the mileage needed for upgrades or free flights.   I also remember when there were no loyalty programs so I guess we will return to those times.   At least you will still get the benefits that come with certain room classes, Aqua and Suite.

NCL Latitudes.

We've been members for over 16 years.  Benefits have not decreased and when they added new tiers, benefits were added.

And original members of Captains Club when it cost $$ to join, so don't remember when there were "no loyalty programs."

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

So Celebrity will just shove all of us top three tier CC level members in the already over crowded other bars/lounges for the CC HH. Now there's social distancing. 🙄 Your non elite elite observations/experiences  are not the same as our experiences in the Sky Lounge for the CC HH. The CC has always had the CC HH on all of our cruises. Plenty of places to sit. We are always there by 5:00 and gone by 5:45. We've had some cruises where the entire Sky Lounge was open to us and some cruises where only half the Sky Lounge was open to us. All based on the number of top three tier level members for that specific cruise. For us this loss has nothing to do with snacks or the drinks. We always get the CBP as one of our bundled perks. Just hate to see any CC perks/benefits eroded away that we have paid for over the years cruising with Celebrity. "If" it's only temporary we hope it's over by September 2021! 

No, I don’t know for sure, but I think even with reduced numbers that Celeb would have to use almost every available indoor venue during cocktail hour to allow everyone onboard to have access to a bar. So what are they going to do? They could limit how many Elites and above are allowed to sail on any particular trip so that the Sky Lounge is socially distanced, or they can give free drinks on your card at HH time and ask people to spread out over the ship - which they have done before on trips with many many Elite and above that would make a very crowded Sky Lounge. I didn’t read anything that I interpreted as no HH ever again for some things, Elite HH being one of those things, I took it more as a Covid adjustment (although if it makes more financial sense, it may continue, who knows).

im sorry people are losing what seems to be a cherished opportunity to meet others, but I don’t think there will be a lot of socializing with strangers on the first few months of cruises anyway.

11 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Where does it say anything about continuing the Elite Happy Hour in the Sky Lounge?

It doesn't and that is one thing we will miss the most...when we start sailing on Viking Ocean. We were already headed there anyway as we hate the new ships and the Celebrity caste system which gets worse all the time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We met Lisa a few years ago and she was very interested in the bottom line profit, nothing has changed. We are Elite + with a B2B booked for next November after that Gen X have the ships to themselves.

If I read the email correctly Zeniths will no longer be able to access Michaels or the Retreat unless they are in a suite or “space allows”

Correct 

8 hours ago, schuddle said:

Cross posting for folks who don’t see what has changed.....

Summary of changes:

Downgrades:

• Removed Priority embarkation
  • Removed Access to the Retreat for Zenith
  • Removed Senior Officers Party
  • Removed the Backstage Tour
  • Removed Elegant Tea
  • Removed the nightly cocktail party - remaining benefit worthless under Always Included
  • Negated value of the daily coffee lounge
  • Negated value of the specialty coffee in specialty restaurant
  • Negated value of the free specialty coffee package for elite plus
  • Negated value of the free internet minutes and discounts
  • Removed free fitness class for Elite Plus

Upgrades:

• Improved the spa discount - now multi use
  • Increased discounts on photo packages
  • Increased the discount on premium wines
  • Added "Sneak Peek of Wonder" (only on the Apex)
  • Added the "Create and Pour" event (only on Edge class)
  • Added discounted $35 dry clean and press package

Nailed it

For those saying they don't see much difference...

The big difference is the loss of free drinks - Because they are now included anyway

So, the best way of maintaining that level of appreciation for your loyalty would be debatable, but we're talking about free dinners in paid for restaurants, not an extra 5% of something that costs the cruise line nothing, anyway

I have three cruises  booked for late 21 and early 22 on the Equinox.  Given the uncertainty of sailing, I have not yet booked any excursions or packages.  Both my wife and I have the classic beverage package as a perk.  We always upgrade to premium before sailing.  Can you still upgrade from classic to premium with these new "RULES?"

12 hours ago, Orator said:

Do you believe that many "Top Cruisers" would do a televised interview with the CD? I know that most Zeniths I know try to keep a low profile.

As I said, I would not take part in this veiled PR, but maybe some would. I have no idea. I'd hope they'd realise it for what it is. 

Phil 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrKoob said:

It doesn't and that is one thing we will miss the most...when we start sailing on Viking Ocean. We were already headed there anyway as we hate the new ships and the Celebrity caste system which gets worse all the time. 

If you are going to pay Viking Ocean prices, you might as well get Viking Ocean food, service and amenities.  I just substituted my cancelled Celebrity cruise for a Viking Ocean cruise.  Cancelled a Celebrity TA and booked an Oceania TA.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

If you are going to pay Viking Ocean prices, you might as well get Viking Ocean food, service and amenities.  I just substituted my cancelled Celebrity cruise for a Viking Ocean cruise.  Cancelled a Celebrity TA and booked an Oceania TA.

Yup, we will be doing the same thing, unless things change.  We are Elite Plus and cruised a lot to get to this level, but I think we will be trying Azamara, Oceania, or Viking.

Rollie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Bye,  sorry we'll never meet.

Sorry not picking on anybody but just a general observation. Once Celebrity starts sailing again along with Viking, Azamara or whatever other line has been mentioned here, who will stay and who will actually and definitely go ??  It is quite common here on CC for members to say they are fed up and will never ever ever cruise Celebrity again.  But then we continuously see the same posters cruising Celebrity, complaining, cruising Celebrity, complaining, so on and so on.  I understand about the perceived slight on Loyalty benefits at the time when the new AI Program is announced. Bad timing too with the pandemic. I find personally for me no need really to dwell on it.  I will make a decision to stay with Celebrity because I like the overall experience.  If I  find a better cruising option for my own particular situation, budget and needs, I will try it.   

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Sorry not picking on anybody but just a general observation. Once Celebrity starts sailing again along with Viking, Azamara or whatever other line has been mentioned here, who will stay and who will actually and definitely go ??  It is quite common here on CC for members to say they are fed up and will never ever ever cruise Celebrity again.  But then we continuously see the same posters cruising Celebrity, complaining, cruising Celebrity, complaining, so on and so on.  I understand about the perceived slight on Loyalty benefits at the time when the new AI Program is announced. Bad timing too with the pandemic. I find personally for me no need really to dwell on it.  I will make a decision to stay with Celebrity because I like the overall experience.  If I  find a better cruising option for my own particular situation, budget and needs, I will try it.   

Those of us who are stuck with FCC's will either need to stick with Celebrity for now or walk away from their money.  FCCs will expire in 13 months.  Who knows if we will cruise by next summer?  Or later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, basenji56 said:

Those of us who are stuck with FCC's will either need to stick with Celebrity for now or walk away from their money.  FCCs will expire in 13 months.  Who knows if we will cruise by next summer?  Or later.

Yes I definitely understand that.  A lot of us have FCC's.  But what happens after that?  I still think cruise lines are going to struggle to regain passengers ultimately once all of these L&S's and FCC's are used up.  

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I definitely understand that.  A lot of us have FCC's.  But what happens after that?  I still think cruise lines are going to struggle to regain passengers ultimately once all of these L&S's and FCC's are used up.  

With loyalty out of the equation, I plan to sample other cruise lines.  Cruised with Princess but didn't like it as much as Celebrity.  Ditto for Royal. Viking Ocean was better but more expensive.

I predict many Celebrity cruisers will try higher end cruise lines.  There is a lot of product out there and it is worth trying out new things.

10 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Well stated. Elite Plus and now just a solid Viking Ocean convert.

• Like 1

I've been thinking  !!!! ( Not too much )

Celebrity's Top Management were sitting in " another " meeting discussing " How are we going to re-coup the lost revenue due to the Covid " , but, in their own minds thinking " What about MY bonus " ??

So, instead of making a decision amongst themselves , they hire a Consulting firm , set up Focus Groups , Task Forces , and an Employee Input Strategy Questionnaire .

And, THIS is what they came up with ????? 

It takes years for a Company to build up loyal Customers and days to destroy it all !!!

( And , that AI is another dumb move -- Yea, I know,  I've said it before )

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I've been thinking  !!!! ( Not too much )

Celebrity's Top Management were sitting in " another " meeting discussing " How are we going to re-coup the lost revenue due to the Covid " , but, in their own minds thinking " What about MY bonus " ??

So, instead of making a decision amongst themselves , they hire a Consulting firm , set up Focus Groups , Task Forces , and an Employee Input Strategy Questionnaire .

And, THIS is what they came up with ????? 

It takes years for a Company to build up loyal Customers and days to destroy it all !!!

( And , that AI is another dumb move -- Yea, I know,  I've said it before )

And the best they can come up with is a plan to drive their most loyal passengers away by reducing benefits. I can understand temporarily limiting passengers in certain venues, but if they made clear that the benefits would be restored once the crisis is past it would go down better. How this was handled left a bad taste with many who have posted on other social media.

9 hours ago, compman9 said:

Nailed it.

For those saying they don't see much difference...

The big difference is the loss of free drinks - Because they are now included anyway.

So, the best way of maintaining that level of appreciation for your loyalty would be debatable, but we're talking about free dinners in paid for restaurants, not an extra 5% of something that costs the cruise line nothing, anyway.

The above (from "compman9") was in response to the following post:

Yesterday, schuddle said:

... for folks who don’t see what has changed.....

Summary of changes:

Downgrades:
    Removed Priority embarkation
    Removed Access to the Retreat for Zenith
    Removed Senior Officers Party
    Removed the Backstage Tour
    Removed Elegant Tea
    Removed the nightly cocktail party - remaining benefit worthless under Always Included
    Negated value of the daily coffee lounge
    Negated value of the specialty coffee in specialty restaurant
    Negated value of the free specialty coffee package for elite plus
    Negated value of the free internet minutes and discounts
    Removed free fitness class for Elite Plus

Upgrades:
    Improved the spa discount - now multi use
    Increased discounts on photo packages
    Increased the discount on premium wines
    Added "Sneak Peek of Wonder" (only on the Apex)
    Added the "Create and Pour" event (only on Edge class)
    Added discounted $35 dry clean and press package

------------------------------------------------------------------- [END QUOTE FROM SCHUDDLE] -------------

We agree with "compman9" that "The big difference is the loss of free drinks" by Elite/Elite+/Zenith, because the drinks are now forced on everyone via the package that is Always Included ...

We also agree with "compman9" that "the best way of maintaining that level of appreciation for your loyalty would be debatable" ... but we disagree with compman9's idea that the most logical thing for Celebrity to do is not to give people free meals in specialty restaurants.  Instead, we think that the only logical thing is (at no extra charge to us) to AUTOMATICALLY upgrade the "Classic" packages (for E/E+/Z guests) to "Premium" packages!  But what has "X" decided to do, instead of doing that?  After taking away from super-loyal E/E+/Z guests what we had enjoyed for years -- and jacking up the fares greatly -- "X" has chosen merely to offer the Premium package to us at a 10% to 20% discount.  This is yet another way to bleed loyal guests of still more of their money!  [Oh, isn't Lisa so very generous!?]

• Like 4