Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits

EvoUSA

30 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I've been thinking  !!!! ( Not too much )

Celebrity's Top Management were sitting in " another " meeting discussing " How are we going to re-coup the lost revenue due to the Covid " , but, in their own minds thinking " What about MY bonus " ??

So, instead of making a decision amongst themselves , they hire a Consulting firm , set up Focus Groups , Task Forces , and an Employee Input Strategy Questionnaire .

And, THIS is what they came up with ????? 

It takes years for a Company to build up loyal Customers and days to destroy it all !!!

( And , that AI is another dumb move -- Yea, I know,  I've said it before )

Wait until everyone realizes that they will never be able to use most of their FCC because the deadline expired before Celebrity sailed again! LOL.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cangelmd said:

No, I don’t know for sure, but I think even with reduced numbers that Celeb would have to use almost every available indoor venue during cocktail hour to allow everyone onboard to have access to a bar. So what are they going to do? They could limit how many Elites and above are allowed to sail on any particular trip so that the Sky Lounge is socially distanced, or they can give free drinks on your card at HH time and ask people to spread out over the ship - which they have done before on trips with many many Elite and above that would make a very crowded Sky Lounge. I didn’t read anything that I interpreted as no HH ever again for some things, Elite HH being one of those things, I took it more as a Covid adjustment (although if it makes more financial sense, it may continue, who knows).

im sorry people are losing what seems to be a cherished opportunity to meet others, but I don’t think there will be a lot of socializing with strangers on the first few months of cruises anyway.

Are you elite or above? Based on your posts, I believe you aren't.

No doubt it is a Covid adjustment, but that doesn't mean Celebrity has to eliminate or downsize the perks/benefits we have paid for. Depending on the number of elite and above on a specific cruise the CC host could hold the CC HH in a couple different locations during the two hour window (5 to 7). Along with the Sky Lounge, the Rendezvous Lounge (M&S class ships) could also be reserved for the CC HH from 5 to 7. 

19 hours ago, davekathy said:

That really sucks that Celebrity has decided to stop the evening event in the Sky Lounge for the top three tier levels. We have always enjoyed going to the Sky Lounge to have a couple of drinks and an appetizer before diner. Going to the other lounges during CC HH (5 - 7) to have a drink or two has always been an option in the past, so nothing new there. Now it will be the only option! 👎👎

Hi,

We also liked the "evening event in the Sky Lounge for the top three tier levels"

BUT LOVED the Diamond Club on RCL BETTER!!. We became Elite on Celebrity

first and automatically became Diamond on RLC. The drinks, food, etc is OUTSTANDING in all the Diamond lounges we tried (usually 4-6 cruises per year with many >12 nights and many being B2B. RCL has not (yet) changed

it's perks/Diamond club. In fact we now prefer RCL. My "only" minor

problem with RCL is that their french onion soup sucks compared to

Celebrity. Otherwise the are very close.

Just now, BP99 said:

Hi,

We also liked the "evening event in the Sky Lounge for the top three tier levels"

BUT LOVED the Diamond Club on RCL BETTER!!. We became Elite on Celebrity

first and automatically became Diamond on RLC. The drinks, food, etc is OUTSTANDING in all the Diamond lounges we tried (usually 4-6 cruises per year with many >12 nights and many being B2B. RCL has not (yet) changed

it's perks/Diamond club. In fact we now prefer RCL. My "only" minor

problem with RCL is that their french onion soup sucks compared to

Celebrity. Otherwise the are very close.

We also enjoy both the RC diamond and above C&A HH events along the other perks/benefits. We like the similarities and the differences between Celebrity and RC. 

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

With loyalty out of the equation, I plan to sample other cruise lines.  Cruised with Princess but didn't like it as much as Celebrity.  Ditto for Royal. Viking Ocean was better but more expensive.

I predict many Celebrity cruisers will try higher end cruise lines.  There is a lot of product out there and it is worth trying out new things.

I am already looking at Silversea.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pennstatedj said:

I just finished new email from X. All I can say is Wow. After reading all the great new benefits given to me as an Elite Plus with over 60 cruises, I can only say that I have only 1 more cruise left on X. I have been very loyal for the last 25 years, but this is the worst marketing move the CEO has ever made. I will be going back to being open to cruising with others after I use my credit voucher. I knew she would take this opportunity to use Covid as an excuse to reduce perks and sky lounge use. Extra parties and discounts on spa and photos and laundry pressing are not benefits. I just heard Princess Ceo yell with thanks to Lisa. Happy sailing to all when it starts. 

Hi Penn,

Would it be possible for you to post that e-mail, with your private info obscured to protect yourself.

We’re E+, and if all the cruises we had booked hadn’t been cancelled, we would have just become Z.

Despite that, we didn’t get the e-mail describing the changes, and I’d love to know what’s the buzz?

It’s just an opinion, but I can’t think of a single thing that L²P has done to encourage loyals to stay.

Thanks,

Doc Ruth

18 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Apparently there are 2 levels of internet access. The Surf-wifi is for typical day to day access to check emails, surf the internet, etc. The Stream package is for people who want to upload and play movies or games that require lots of speed. The Surf is the standard package and passengers can pay extra for the upgraded Stream package.  Celebrity is saying you will now be allowed to apply your Captain's Club internet discount to an upgrade to the Stream package. I'm not sure how long this 2 tiered internet system has been in place. We've had internet included as a perk on our past couple cruises and haven't had difficulty accessing the internet or using wifi to play app games while sailing, so I'm thinking the Surf level is probably fine for most people. 

The wifi included as a perk has in the past been for 2 devices, meaning there are 2 accounts so 2 people can be on the internet at the same time. You can use an account on multiple devices, but just not at the same time. If you were logged in on your iPad and then log in on your phone, your iPad is automatically logged out. According to today's announcement, if have a 3rd person in your cabin you can apply your 35% discount to a 3rd account.  

You are correct about the internet minutes, its confusing. The updated summary of benefits on the website doesn't show any # of free minutes, just that there is a discounted rate. The document sent to TA's that is linked in an above post does show that the free minutes continue to exist.

Thank you so much for clarifying.   Much appreciated 

5 minutes ago, docruth said:

Hi Penn,

Would it be possible for you to post that e-mail, with your private info obscured to protect yourself.

We’re E+, and if all the cruises we had booked hadn’t been cancelled, we would have just become Z.

Despite that, we didn’t get the e-mail describing the changes, and I’d love to know what’s the buzz?

It’s just an opinion, but I can’t think of a single thing that L²P has done to encourage loyals to stay.

Thanks,

Doc Ruth

Hi Doc RuthIf you go to Page 1 Chezmarylou has posted a link to the email/ changes

23 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Doc RuthIf you go to Page 1 Chezmarylou has posted a link to the email/ changes

Emma’s Gran,

Thanks for responding! I had actually seen that page already. I went through the verbiage, and it does pretty much capture all the changes in store for us.

I was hoping for someone to post the actual e-mail, just to see exactly how X broke the news to us.

Not having Michael’s Club is the single reduction that annoys me personally, I’m sure other items are more important to other elites. The “Edgeification” of the S & M (yeah that was an attempt at a joke) class ships has not been good for us, I wonder how other CCs feel about the club and ship changes?

Doc Ruth

We are elite plus. If we do 2 cruises a year we will be zenith in 5 years. If it happens it happens. At this time we have 4 cruises booked with Celebrity. I do look at Regent, Silversea and Azamara. 1st the ships are a lot smaller than Celebrity ships. Our one Azamara cruise was nice, but boring when it come to things to do on the ship. I dont like the dresscode of Regent or Silversea. Every time I think I'm done with Celebrity. I look around and come back to Celebrity. I like the ship within a ship concept. I enjoy Luminae on the M and S class ships. At this time I think we have 15 to 20 years of cruising a head of us if we want. I'm not happy with the ship change in SA. I would take Silhouette or Infinity over Edge any day.

This morning I went to CC Azamara site and there seems to be no changes to their CC program yet. 

Edited by bigbenboys
added words

I received the email a couple days ago, but knew about the "all inclusive" change before that. Just for background -- after 20 years of solid loyalty we finally made Zenith last fall.  We sailed as Zenith for a total of one cruise, then the pandemic hit. So, for all that loyalty, the free drinks and free WIFI Zenith perks have gone away and we are going back to paying for drinks and wifi (sure they are wrapped in the price, but cost is there). Needless to say, I am very disappointed. While we enjoyed all our trips with Celebrity, working toward Zenith did enter into our vacation decisions, so we didn't do some other things that we may have done instead. So, included in the future monetary costs, there are opportunities-missed costs too. Bottom line, I will probably use the Future Cruise Credits that I have banked at Celebrity (tho am contemplating just taking the refund). After that I will be looking elsewhere for vacation options (tho cruising will still be a big part) like more river cruises, maybe a safari, and some city intensive vacations like Paris.

The other thing that I want to share is that I called Celebrity's Consumer Access number 1-800-280-3423 to speak to them about the all inclusive situation and all I got was "it's unfortunate" that I lost my Zenith benefits. Really?????? Unfortunate? I spent approximately $250,000 getting to Zenith and to have my benefits reduced is "unfortunate"?

A letter to Lisa is in the works. Anyone else who is like minded, could consider writing directly to her also, so that we can make sure she understands the consequences of her action. Loyalty doesn't mean anything any more. Just sayin'

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

The above (from "compman9") was in response to the following post:

Yesterday, schuddle said:

... for folks who don’t see what has changed.....

Summary of changes:

Downgrades:
    Removed Priority embarkation
    Removed Access to the Retreat for Zenith
    Removed Senior Officers Party
    Removed the Backstage Tour
    Removed Elegant Tea
    Removed the nightly cocktail party - remaining benefit worthless under Always Included
    Negated value of the daily coffee lounge
    Negated value of the specialty coffee in specialty restaurant
    Negated value of the free specialty coffee package for elite plus
    Negated value of the free internet minutes and discounts
    Removed free fitness class for Elite Plus

Upgrades:
    Improved the spa discount - now multi use
    Increased discounts on photo packages
    Increased the discount on premium wines
    Added "Sneak Peek of Wonder" (only on the Apex)
    Added the "Create and Pour" event (only on Edge class)
    Added discounted $35 dry clean and press package

------------------------------------------------------------------- [END QUOTE FROM SCHUDDLE] -------------

We agree with "compman9" that "The big difference is the loss of free drinks" by Elite/Elite+/Zenith, because the drinks are now forced on everyone via the package that is Always Included ...

We also agree with "compman9" that "the best way of maintaining that level of appreciation for your loyalty would be debatable" ... but we disagree with compman9's idea that the most logical thing for Celebrity to do is not to give people free meals in specialty restaurants.  Instead, we think that the only logical thing is (at no extra charge to us) to AUTOMATICALLY upgrade the "Classic" packages (for E/E+/Z guests) to "Premium" packages!  But what has "X" decided to do, instead of doing that?  After taking away from super-loyal E/E+/Z guests what we had enjoyed for years -- and jacking up the fares greatly -- "X" has chosen merely to offer the Premium package to us at a 10% to 20% discount.  This is yet another way to bleed loyal guests of still more of their money!  [Oh, isn't Lisa so very generous!?]

Yes, I agree with this - automatic premium Package would be simple

Although, I did just offer an example. It could be anything, really. A free excursion. Something would be better than nothing, which the new loyalty offer amounts to

5 minutes ago, mregis said:

I received the email a couple days ago, but knew about the "all inclusive" change before that. Just for background -- after 20 years of solid loyalty we finally made Zenith last fall.  We sailed as Zenith for a total of one cruise, then the pandemic hit. So, for all that loyalty, the free drinks and free WIFI Zenith perks have gone away and we are going back to paying for drinks and wifi (sure they are wrapped in the price, but cost is there). Needless to say, I am very disappointed. While we enjoyed all our trips with Celebrity, working toward Zenith did enter into our vacation decisions, so we didn't do some other things that we may have done instead. So, included in the future monetary costs, there are opportunities-missed costs too. Bottom line, I will probably use the Future Cruise Credits that I have banked at Celebrity (tho am contemplating just taking the refund). After that I will be looking elsewhere for vacation options (tho cruising will still be a big part) like more river cruises, maybe a safari, and some city intensive vacations like Paris.

The other thing that I want to share is that I called Celebrity's Consumer Access number 1-800-280-3423 to speak to them about the all inclusive situation and all I got was "it's unfortunate" that I lost my Zenith benefits. Really?????? Unfortunate? I spent approximately $250,000 getting to Zenith and to have my benefits reduced is "unfortunate"?

A letter to Lisa is in the works. Anyone else who is like minded, could consider writing directly to her also, so that we can make sure she understands the consequences of her action. Loyalty doesn't mean anything any more. Just sayin'

I found your comment quite depressing, and you certainly have my full support. Celebrity have really shot themselves in the foot with this.

The prices have risen to pay for their all-inclusive project, to provide loyalty incentives cannot cost too much given that fact.

For what it's worth, I am two cruises from Elite Plus, so I don't have a vested interest in Zenith, but I think a number of free excursions could be fair - Surely something to appreciate your loyalty.

There are lots of loyalty perks that Celebrity could provide that would be no or low cost to CC members. Possibly:

Provide a special free CC excursion/event per sailing similar to what they offer on the Captain's Club reunion cruises. These events are typically specific to one of the port stops and have low overhead, like an exhibition event that showcases the port stop. 

Provide select hot breakfast items on the plated Elite breakfast menu.

As others have mentioned, free upgrade to premium bev package when classic has already been included with fare.

$7 off a beverage package upgrade on a 7 day cruise is a bit silly. How about 50% discount to upgrade any already included beverage or internet package? 

Balcony discount similar to what's provided as part of Royal's C&A. 

20 minutes ago, mregis said:

Feel very sorry for you both. Did you have a Zenith party and the dinner with officers? Perhaps once this is over they will restore the benefits. IDW and I became Zenith shortly after the program was announced. We actually were in the first 50 and I never thought that there would be more than 100. Boy, was I wrong! The Zenith benefits actually enticed passengers to book cruises at a higher rate than normal to get to that level. IMHO, the program worked as well as any other promotion has worked! The bean counters have missed some very important beans. Congratulations on achieving the Zenith level and I hope we can meet in MC/Retreat sooner rather than later.

37 minutes ago, mregis said:

Your lucky you even got an email, this Zenith got nothing, but I share your pain

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

This morning I went to CC Azamara site and there seems to be no changes to their CC pro  gram yet. 

The good news is that the X and AZ loyalty are still 100% reciprocal, so whatever you do or have with the Captain’s Club, it’s the same for Le Club. They haven’t announced a change yet. We’ll see.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 2:04 PM, verizon said:

Did I read wrong ?

Zenith with 6000 points and above get one complimentary dinner at special restaurant ?

Thats a welcome news.

What it said is that when you reach 6000 and 9000 points you will receive one free specialty restaurant visit. NOT every cruise after that - just one time !!!

On 11/18/2020 at 2:43 PM, Orator said:

Do you believe that many "Top Cruisers" would do a televised interview with the CD? I know that most Zeniths I know try to keep a low profile.

I believe this is because they are discontinuing the Captain's Club Celebration due to social distancing. They are replacing being called up on stage with the CD interview.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, emmas gran said:

If I read the email correctly Zeniths will no longer be able to access Michaels or the Retreat unless they are in a suite or “space allows”

Actually it says nothing about "space available":

In keeping with new health and safety standards, we’ll be tightly managing venue capacities. As a result, Zenith access to the lounge at The Retreat® and Michael’s Club will be limited to members staying in The Retreat until further notice. Our primary goal is to keep our guests and crew safe and healthy

12 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Those of us who are stuck with FCC's will either need to stick with Celebrity for now or walk away from their money.  FCCs will expire in 13 months.  Who knows if we will cruise by next summer?  Or later.

I asked my TA yesterday and FCC's can be refunded (100% - not 125%).

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Perhaps they can set up a “Zenith’s Retreat.” to keep all of the Z’s happy.   Did they also take away the free cruise?   You can still get the benefits of the retreat if you book a minimum level of SS.

Yeah today I priced the lowest level suite on a cruise we are already booked on and it is almost exactly 2X the price of Aqua Class!!! Insane !!!

Edited by TommyD3