Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits

EvoUSA

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Sadly, this is not true unless Celebrity cancelled the initial cruise.  If you cancelled under the Cruise with Confidence, you are limited to FCC, not cash.

I have had FCCs from later cancelled cruises, but I still can't get cash because I cancelled the initial cruise under the Cruise with Confidence program.

Once again, Celebrity cruisers all seem to have many different experiences with either refunds or FCC.  I cancelled a Ma 1, 2021 TA on APEX.  Had fully refundable deposit, which they offered to credit back to original form of payment.  I opted to not do that and move it to a new booking in late Aug. 2021, still fully refundable if I decide not to go or if Celebrity cancels. 

Just now, LGW59 said:

Once again, Celebrity cruisers all seem to have many different experiences with either refunds or FCC.  I cancelled a Ma 1, 2021 TA on APEX.  Had fully refundable deposit, which they offered to credit back to original form of payment.  I opted to not do that and move it to a new booking in late Aug. 2021, still fully refundable if I decide not to go or if Celebrity cancels. 

I think the fact that this was a deposit may have something to do with it.  I have had good luck in getting my deposits refunded as cash.  Its the remainder of the cruise price that I was stuck with FCCs.

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I think the fact that this was a deposit may have something to do with it.  I have had good luck in getting my deposits refunded as cash.  Its the remainder of the cruise price that I was stuck with FCCs.

Got it, that makes sense.  Thx!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I was looking at prices today.  With the devaluation of the Captains Club benefits, there is even less incentive to book Concierge Class unless you *really* love those afternoon canapes....

Ha. 

It's not any one thing that will cause someone to include other lines in their choices.  Usually the first item of importance is itinerary.  The caliber of the line someone prefers and that they receive what they enjoy on a vacation.  I also include value or bang for my buck.  So I try to look at the total picture when deciding.  Food quality is also very important to me.  I don't consider myself a foodie but I'm sure others I know do. I can't stand mediocre food

It's never been the free bag of laundry although the few internet minutes were nice.  What I see is they added the payment for internet minutes which diminishes that perk. They used to have free gratuities (but they always raised the fare when it was included in perks).

As long as Celebrity can give me the experience I want, I'll keep booking them. However I also compare them to other cruise lines now which I didn't do several years ago.  So they'll get some of my business but probably not half of it.

I suppose that becomes a Celebrity self fulfilling prophecy for them from this Boomer.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

4 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Ha.  It's not any one thing that will cause someone to include other lines in their choices.  Usually the first item of importance is itinerary.  The caliber of the line someone prefers and that they receive what they enjoy on a vacation.  I also include value or bang for my buck.  So I try to look at the total picture when deciding.  Food quality is also very important to me.  I don't consider myself a foodie but I'm sure others I know do. 

It's never been the free bag of laundry although the few internet minutes were nice.  What I see is they added the payment for internet minutes which diminishes that perk. They used to have free gratuities (but they always raised the fare when it was included).

As long as Celebrity can give me the experience I want, I'll keep booking them. However I also compare them to other cruise lines now which I didn't do several years ago.  So they'll get some of my business but probably not half of it.

I suppose that becomes a Celebrity self fulfilling prophecy for them from this Boomer.

I love the cabins on Celebrity.  I love Edge class ships, like S class ships.  Service is very good.  Buffet is great.  Production shows are poor.  MDR is pretty good, but not outstanding.  Itineraries are good but not small shop ports.

A lot of people chase points and status levels.  Book Concierge class for the extra points.  (I don't think that people book suites simply for points though).  I think that will change now since, other than a bag of laundry, there is no real benefit to Elite or Elite Plus status if everyone is forced to buy the drink package ad the wifi package.

I'm not saying I won't book Celebrity in the future, but I am looking more at Viking Ocean (for the cabins, spa and food) and Oceania (for the food).

I am expanding my preferences too.  

21 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I'm not saying I won't book Celebrity in the future, but I am looking more at Viking Ocean (for the cabins, spa and food) and Oceania (for the food).

I am expanding my preferences too.  

Why not include Azamara in your consideration?  Your captains club number is the same there so you co-earn for both as you sail either.  And you're the same equivalent status as Celebrity. They are on par with Oceania or some consider better.  Both have R class ships. 

The Azamazing evenings and white night parties are excellent.  On our Baltics cruise, the ship was treated to a free St Petersburg Philharmonic orchestra private show with welcoming bubbly.  Everyone was bused there. Usually once per cruise they have their Azamazing event.

There's a whole different vibe on their cruises. Since the ships are smaller, they go into ports or dock right in the heart of things that the larger ships can't do. They're not for the masses. Only about 685 passengers at full capacity. So don't expect the same experience as Celebrity.

Right now their thank you promotion is two category upgrade and up to $1,000 OBC.    That makes the fare gap with Celebrity much smaller since the recent fare hikes.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pennstatedj said:

I just finished new email from X. All I can say is Wow. After reading all the great new benefits given to me as an Elite Plus with over 60 cruises, I can only say that I have only 1 more cruise left on X. I have been very loyal for the last 25 years, but this is the worst marketing move the CEO has ever made. I will be going back to being open to cruising with others after I use my credit voucher. I knew she would take this opportunity to use Covid as an excuse to reduce perks and sky lounge use. Extra parties and discounts on spa and photos and laundry pressing are not benefits. I just heard Princess Ceo yell with thanks to Lisa. Happy sailing to all when it starts. 

I have always been amazed at how many folks put a lot of emphasis on frequent cruiser benefits.  Yes, perks are nice.  But variety is also nice and with all the promos and packages offered by other lines.  As one who has cruised on 15 lines (with a 16th booked for late 2016) my advice is not to get sucked in by a few frequent cruise perks and expand your horizons.  You might find that it makes you love Celebrity even more or you might discover that the grass is truly greener elsewhere.  

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Why not include Azamara in your consideration?  Your captains club number is the same there so you co-earn for both as you sail either.  And you're the same equivalent status as Celebrity. They are on par with Oceania or some consider better.  Both have R class ships. 

The Azamazing evenings and white night parties are excellent.  On our Baltics cruise, the ship was treated to a free St Petersburg Philharmonic orchestra private show with welcoming bubbly.  Everyone was bused there. Usually once per cruise they have their Azamazing event.

There's a whole different vibe on their cruises. Since the ships are smaller, they go into ports or dock right in the heart of things that the larger ships can't do. They're not for the masses. Only about 685 passengers at full capacity. So don't expect the same experience as Celebrity.

Right now their thank you promotion is two category upgrade and up to $1,000 OBC.    That makes the fare gap with Celebrity much smaller since the recent fare hikes.

Yes, that is another line I would consider. Looks very nice. They don't appear to do many sailings out of Miami though. And no seven days.  

12 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Yes, that is another line I would consider. Looks very nice. They don't appear to do many sailings out of Miami though. And no seven days.  

Azamara has a very limited presence in North America.  And actually, they have lots of 7 day itineraries in other areas of the world (which is a negative for us). 

But can guarantee, having sailed Celebrity 30 times and Azamara 8, that ratio will reverse going forward.  No way am I paying Azamara prices for the Celebrity experience. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, emmamiller said:

So does Elite plus still get  240 min of free basic  internet? If not , this will be the final straw that breaks the camels back.

To be truthful, NOTHING really "breaks the camel's back"...It's really nice to get these perks.  It does make you feel special and rewarded for the repeat business.  Psychologically, they are wonderful...always feels great to get something "for free" when you otherwise feel nickeled and dimed at every turn...

HOWEVER, MOST perks can be simply purchased instead...Laundry has a price, internet minutes have a price, etc.  Would it be that much difference if they still gave you those perks and raised prices a couple hundred bucks on every cruise (not that they don't do that anyway)? 

The Captains Club perks that appear to be going away that really do have an impact are the things like the cocktail lounge, special events like Elite wine tasting, etc.  Why are these different?  Because you cannot merely purchase the same experience.  If you have a drink package anyway, there is zero benefit to free drinks in the same bars with everyone else.  The real value of the cocktail lounge was in having a quieter bar in which it's not hard to find a seat and not hard to get the attention of a waiter...not just a dollar amount off your otherwise bar bill, but rather an exclusive club experience where you actually get a little bit of special treatment by virtue of having done a LOT of cruises with the line.

• Like 2

whenever someone starts with " to be truthful", it usually means they will be anything but...

and of course all I wanted was the answer to a simple question....I stopped being a loyal Celeb patron when they introduced classism with suites....limiting our dining to the awful dining room....so done with celebrity...yes that tells the camel to drink at a different oasis....

You must not have been an a TA on Celebrity.   The Captains Club cocktail hour is anything but quiet.   It’s also difficult to get a seat or the waiters attention.    Because of this they began changing the benefits to give you drink coupons to use at different bars during the time frame.   The percentage of CC members on the cruises have really increased.   There were also quite a few Zeniths and Blue Chip members crowding Michael’s Club.   I am glad Celebrity is changing the benefits especially when it will avoid overcrowding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emmamiller said:

whenever someone starts with " to be truthful", it usually means they will be anything but...

and of course all I wanted was the answer to a simple question....I stopped being a loyal Celeb patron when they introduced classism with suites....limiting our dining to the awful dining room....so done with celebrity...yes that tells the camel to drink at a different oasis....

Emma, 

Are you seriously calling ME untruthful?  I am being entirely truthful--losing some free internet minutes will likely NOT cause any reasonable person to no longer cruise on a particular cruise line.  With rationalizations like yours, at some point, you'll never cruise again with anyone.

OTOH, then you come back on here to post something indicating that your previous post was completely untruthful--You wrote that you had ALREADY stopped cruising with Celebrity based on a prior issue.  So, which event really was "the straw that broke the camel's back" for you?

And, how is your dining "limited to the 'awful dining room'"?  You have all the same choices everyone else has--You can eat in the buffet for free, you can pay an extra small fee and eat in the specialty restaurants, you can book Aqua Class and eat in Blu, you can book a suite and eat in Luminae...

You always have received special treatment booking a suite...like a butler and other perks.  And it is the SAME with other lines.  On Princess, we've booked "Club Class Mini-suites and were able to eat in a special dining area where the menu included items not available to others.  On Oceania, we've cruised in a Suite and received more advance reservations for the specialty restaurants and were able to reserve them before everyone else...and we've cruised in a Concierge Class cabin on Oceania where we had a much superior room service breakfast menu.  

Cruise lines are a BUSINESS.  They have incentive to maximize their profits.  They want to charge more for higher category cabins and have to give you SOMETHING to make it worth it to you to book those cabins--hence more perks, special dining experiences, more service, etc.  On Celebrity, I have often cruised in Concierge Class (and have two Concierge upcoming) and I have often noted that the few perks one gets in Concierge are not worth the typical extra cost (so I usually book Concierge to snag a specific cabin and when the price differential is not as great as usual).

I love my Captains Club perks...and have not been happy that they have been diluted and discontinued...but I do NOT base my cruise bookings on something so minor as free internet minutes.  OTOH, it sounds as though you just don't like Celebrity at all...

46 minutes ago, emmamiller said:

So does Elite plus still get  240 min of free basic  internet? If not , this will be the final straw that breaks the camels back.

No, "emmamiller," we will not get ANY minutes of free basic Internet.  Instead, we will get unlimited Internet, but we will have to pay the price for it, which will be "built into" the cruise fare.  That full price will NOT be lowered (by any amount or percentage) to compensate us for the lost 240 minutes, which we had EARNED by our loyalty.  That is one of the two ways in which we are being cheated.  (The other, similar cheating has to do with beverages.)

31 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

To be truthful, NOTHING really "breaks the camel's back"... It's really nice to get these perks.  It does make you feel special and rewarded for the repeat business.  Psychologically, they are wonderful...always feels great to get something "for free" when you otherwise feel nickeled and dimed at every turn...

HOWEVER, MOST perks can be simply purchased instead...Laundry has a price, internet minutes have a price, etc.  Would it be that much difference if they still gave you those perks and raised prices a couple hundred bucks on every cruise (not that they don't do that anyway)? 

The Captains Club perks that appear to be going away that really do have an impact are the things like the cocktail lounge, special events like Elite wine tasting, etc.  Why are these different?  Because you cannot merely purchase the same experience.  If you have a drink package anyway, there is zero benefit to free drinks in the same bars with everyone else.  The real value of the cocktail lounge was in having a quieter bar in which it's not hard to find a seat and not hard to get the attention of a waiter...not just a dollar amount off your otherwise bar bill, but rather an exclusive club experience where you actually get a little bit of special treatment by virtue of having done a LOT of cruises with the line.

You could NOT be more wrong, "Bruin Steve"!

You wrote, "It's nice to get these perks."

You are dead wrong to use the word, "perks."  We are not talking about "perks," which is a term that is used to refer to options that have always been offered even to people who have NEVER cruised with Celebrity!

Instead, the things that "emmamiller" and I are talking about -- beverages and Internet minutes -- are PROMISED REWARDS (referred to as "BENEFITS") -- that is, goods and services that were EARNED by us loyal, long-time passengers, but are now suddenly and unjustly being denied!   You need to analyze these things carefully and logically to come to the right conclusions ... and you need to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" for a change.  You need to think of the JUSTICE -- the fair treatment that is due to emmamiller and many thousands of others.

Edited by jg51

3 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You must not have been an a TA on Celebrity.   The Captains Club cocktail hour is anything but quiet.   It’s also difficult to get a seat or the waiters attention.    Because of this they began changing the benefits to give you drink coupons to use at different bars during the time frame.   The percentage of CC members on the cruises have really increased.   There were also quite a few Zeniths and Blue Chip members crowding Michael’s Club.   I am glad Celebrity is changing the benefits especially when it will avoid overcrowding.

NO, never on a TA--but that really is the exception, NOT the rule...

OTOH, those TransAtlantics sell at a major discount, so, to those dealing with it, I guess it's worth the hassle...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jg51 said:

No, "emmamiller," we will not get ANY minutes of free basic Internet.  Instead, we will get unlimited Internet, but we will have to pay the price for it, which will be "built into" the cruise fare.  That full price will NOT be lowered (by any amount or percentage) to compensate us for the lost 240 minutes, which we had EARNED by our loyalty.  That is one of the two ways in which we are being cheated.  (The other, similar cheating has to do with beverages.)

You are dead wrong to use the word, "perks."  We are not talking about "perks," which have always been offered even to people who have NEVER cruised with Celebrity!

Instead, the things that "emmamiller" and I are talking about -- beverages and Internet minutes -- are PROMISED REWARDS -- goods and services that were EARNED by us loyal, long-time passengers, but are now suddenly and unjustly being denied!   You need to analyze these things carefully and logically to come to the right conclusions ... and you need to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" for a change.  You need to think of the JUSTICE -- the fair treatment that is due to emmamiller and many thousands of others.

"Justice"???   Land sakes alive, we are talking about a cruise here, you are making it sound like you are going off to prison.

9 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Hello, "Covepointcruiser."

What you say about transatlantic cruises and the cocktail hour is partially correct.  We know, from having witnessed it several times.  When there were lots of Elite (and above) guests, Celebrity allowed people to use other bars, to decrease the congestion.  At first, little paper coupons/vouchers were used.  Later (2019?), however, it was possible for Elites (and above) to get drinks all over the ship, even without vouchers.

Still, there is no point in even mentioning the noise, crowding, etc., since that happened only on transatlantic cruises -- of which there are very few in the course of a year.  Now, in fact, there will be ZERO transatlantic cruises, probably until everyone has been vaccinated.

The "avoid[ance of] overcrowding" that you mention was no valid reason for "X" to change the benefits in a way that CHEATS Elites (and above) out of a promised and earned benefit on EVERY cruise (not just transatlantics).

2 minutes ago, jg51 said:

You are dead wrong to use the word, "perks."  We are not talking about "perks," which have always been offered even to people who have NEVER cruised with Celebrity!

Instead, the things that "emmamiller" and I are talking about -- beverages and Internet minutes -- are PROMISED REWARDS -- goods and services that were EARNED by us loyal, long-time passengers, but are now suddenly and unjustly being denied!   You need to analyze these things carefully and logically to come to the right conclusions ... and you need to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" for a change.  You need to think of the JUSTICE -- the fair treatment that is due to emmamiller and many thousands of others.

I used the word "perks" because that is what they are...they are the "perks" of the Captains Club (yes, as distinguished from the overall marketing perks, but perks just the same).  Go to the Captains Club page on the Celebrity website--they are refered to there as "perks:  "You’ll earn points on every sailing and enjoy discounts, offers, and perks..."

And, sorry to tell you, if you keep reading through all of the terms and conditions, you come to this line:

"The Captain's Club program terms are subject to change at any time without prior notice."

Yes, that sucks...but, unfortunately, that is all you have--you've racked up points in a program where what they give you is what they decide to give you.  You do NOT have a contract that requires them to give you ANYTHING.  It is at their will.  It's NOT a matter of "justice".  Nothing in this program is enforceable...You've signed up for this under the posted terms and conditions.  What do you think a court of law would say here? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I used the word "perks" because that is what they are...they are the "perks" of the Captains Club (yes, as distinguished from the overall marketing perks, but perks just the same).  Go to the Captains Club page on the Celebrity website--they are refered to there as "perks:  "You’ll earn points on every sailing and enjoy discounts, offers, and perks..."

And, sorry to tell you, if you keep reading through all of the terms and conditions, you come to this line:

"The Captain's Club program terms are subject to change at any time without prior notice."

Yes, that sucks...but, unfortunately, that is all you have--you've racked up points in a program where what they give you is what they decide to give you.  You do NOT have a contract that requires them to give you ANYTHING.  It is at their will.  It's NOT a matter of "justice".  Nothing in this program is enforceable...You've signed up for this under the posted terms and conditions.  What do you think a court of law would say here? 

After the judge stops laughing, maybe he/she will take them out for an upscale cup o java and a gelato.

3 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Well said and I would add  never read anything was promised.

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Hello, "Bruin Steve."

If you really think that "It's NOT a matter of 'justice,'" then you should never be allowed to sit on a jury, because you do not understand the meaning of the word, "justice."

You know perfectly well that Elites (and above) are being cheated.  Otherwise, you would not have said, "Yes, that sucks."  People have to stick together and sound off in unison, to get things changed in a way that is fair and just.  We (jg51) have the guts to seek justice.  We just wish that you (and certain other folks here) had the guts too, instead of just lying down and letting "X" step on your and our heads.  From the point of the "little guy," who is not wealthy [such as us], this is a huge deal.  We cannot afford to cruise at the new fares -- and that's Celebrity's fault, not ours.

13 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Hello, "Bruin Steve."

If you really think that "It's NOT a matter of 'justice,'" then you should never be allowed to sit on a jury, because you do not understand the meaning of the word, "justice."

You know perfectly well that Elites (and above) are being cheated.  Otherwise, you would not have said, "Yes, that sucks."  People have to stick together and sound off in unison, to get things changed in a way that is fair and just.  We (jg51) have the guts to seek justice.  We just wish that you (and certain other folks here) had the guts too, instead of just lying down and letting "X" step on your and our heads.  From the point of the "little guy," who is not wealthy [such as us], this is a huge deal.  We cannot afford to cruise at the new fares -- and that's Celebrity's fault, not ours.

Note to jg51, cruising is not a right, it is a choice and a privilege.  Elite, elite+ and zenith are not protected under the rule of law.  They are not even protected or guaranteed in Celebrity's Captain's Club terms and conditions.  You had a small benefit and Celebrity took it from you, as per the terms and conditions.  Justice, fair and just???  I can think of a lot of ways to apply but certainly not getting these little freebies does not fit the equation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Hello, "Bruin Steve."

Well...again, "to be truthful", I never have been allowed to sit on a jury.  I tend to get thrown off of jury duty every time...Sometimes, in criminal cases, the defense objects--because I started out my 42 year legal career as a prosecutor.   In civil cases, it has been either side at times...or even the judge...sometimes because I know the judge...or one or more of the attorneys...If not that, it's often one of the parties just because I've often represented what they perceive of as the other side.  Many attorneys choosing a jury--especially plaintiff's counsel in civil cases or defense counsel in criminal cases would rather have someone ignorant of the law.  If they wanted someone knowledgeable, they'd waive the jury trial and have the judge decide. I get kicked off because I know a little too much.

But, thank you for trying to educate me on legal principles.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4