Decided to take the Smeralda plunge!

dritan

After much back and forth, I finally decided to book the Costa Smeralda over the Easter break.  I had my eye on the Diadema leaving from Barcelona as it was a 14 day trip that would allow me to get the kids back for the start of their new school term.  But it disappeared last week- presumably that option sold out, as the Savona, Marseilles departures are still there. 

I noticed there was a good deal on the second week of the Easter break where I could get the three of us on the cruise for just under £1000 total, so went for it.

Are any others, dipping their toe back in with brand new bookings ( as opposed to using FCC)?  Or have I just gone a bit mad 🙂

I expect we'll have a good idea if this will sail by the time final payment comes around in Feb and I prefer to put my faith in cruise lines that are already out there sailing. 

Hi

I've not been looking at CC for a while.

You are brave to plan for Easter. We have actually booked on MSC for March but the cruise was cancelled and then amended. We decided to wait for later next year. Looking at the Firenze before she goes East.

Riana

On 11/19/2020 at 10:10 PM, dritan said:

After much back and forth, I finally decided to book the Costa Smeralda over the Easter break.  I had my eye on the Diadema leaving from Barcelona as it was a 14 day trip that would allow me to get the kids back for the start of their new school term.  But it disappeared last week- presumably that option sold out, as the Savona, Marseilles departures are still there. 

I noticed there was a good deal on the second week of the Easter break where I could get the three of us on the cruise for just under £1000 total, so went for it.

Are any others, dipping their toe back in with brand new bookings ( as opposed to using FCC)?  Or have I just gone a bit mad 🙂

I expect we'll have a good idea if this will sail by the time final payment comes around in Feb and I prefer to put my faith in cruise lines that are already out there sailing. 

You could start a roll call, here...Costa Cruises Cruise Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at cruises from Barca for next Easter, can't go any other time due to working 7 days a week April to October and uni holidays.  We have to be home for Easter Sunday which is 4 April.  I looked a few weeks ago and there was only the Smeralda which we should have sailed on this April 😒  (I have credit to spend)  Now, there is the Pacifica and Firenze and I am torn between them both!

Sardinia, Sicily, Rome, Florence and Marseille or

Marseille, Genoa, Florence, Naples, Valencia (half day) 

Ideally I would like to swap Rome (been 4 times) for Naples or Valencia 🤣

But, my major reason for not actually booking, even though the prices are fantastic, is not Covid as such but the fact that we won't be allowed to wander around at will 😥

I'm struggling to find a positive and I'm not even sure that our daughter will want to come with us anyway - she doesn't actually enjoy being on the ship (motion sickness) and the thought of being quarantined on one would "be a living hell" her words not mine!

I am guessing that a lot of people have similar misgivings 🤷‍♀️

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about booking a may 2021 cruise, 11 days from Marseille to Portugal or Marrocco and back. Due to Covid I waited and waited, untill it got cancelled. Gosh was I glad I hadn't booked. Now I'm waiting for Costa to publish the may 2022 cruises and hoping they'll offer similar cruises. I hope they'll publish soon. MSC has already.

• 5 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, sealynx said:

I was thinking about booking a may 2021 cruise, 11 days from Marseille to Portugal or Marrocco and back. Due to Covid I waited and waited, untill it got cancelled. Gosh was I glad I hadn't booked. Now I'm waiting for Costa to publish the may 2022 cruises and hoping they'll offer similar cruises. I hope they'll publish soon. MSC has already.

Costa prices usually keep falling as the sailing date approaches.

So you can get some amazingly low price last minute deals.

I have not seen the same on MSC

Edited by drsel