Princess Cancels all Cruises through March 31, 2021

Hlitner

This morning we were greeted with a major Princess announcement.  They have cancelled all their cruises (worldwide) through March 31.  In addition they have also cancelled all cruises through Nov 1, 2021 that are over 7 days long and go in or out of USA ports.  Details are on Princess's web site.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

This morning we were greeted with a major Princess announcement.  They have cancelled all their cruises (worldwide) through March 31.  In addition they have also cancelled all cruises through Nov 1, 2021 that are over 7 days long and go in or out of USA ports.  Details are on Princess's web site.

Hank

And so it goes. I guess they have not been reading the posts by those who every month guarantee that cruises will resume very soon.

And worldwide means they are cancelling cruises over which the CDC has absolutely no control.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And so it goes. I guess they have not been reading the posts by those who every month guarantee that cruises will resume very soon.

And worldwide means they are cancelling cruises over which the CDC has absolutely no control.

Does ANYONE really think that things will be “good to go” before the end of winter? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Based on an e-mail we received (a couple of hours ago) from HAL, Holland America is following an almost identical policy as Princess.  All HAL cruises through March 31 are now cancelled.  In addition they have cancelled all the Spring Asian cruises (Noordam) for the entire season.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Based on an e-mail we received (a couple of hours ago) from HAL, Holland America is following an almost identical policy as Princess.  All HAL cruises through March 31 are now cancelled.  In addition they have cancelled all the Spring Asian cruises (Noordam) for the entire season.

Hank

Not exactly surprising.

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

According to OP's post, they are cancelling cruises that are over 7 days and begin or end in the US. So the CDC does have control. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

According to OP's post, they are cancelling cruises that are over 7 days and begin or end in the US. So the CDC does have control. 

But they are cancelling ALL cruises -- worldwide -- until end of March. 

So, not all under CDC purview.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

I'm not getting the reasoning for the cancelations through Nov. 2021.  A vaccine should be pretty well rolled out well before then.

Dream on!  In order for it to actually start working the majority of people have to get vaccinated and then we wait a few months for it to take effect on a large scale.  Not to mention the fact that governments haven't figured out yet how to roll it out!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I thought Fauci said that vaccinations would be rolled out for everyone by March/April.

But, remember you can’t say that on cc. Too many skeptics. There are plans in place to start vaccinations in my home town in late Dec.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yep, I believe they are now simply waiting for the vaccine to restart operations.  All the gyrations needed to make cruising work right now probably means that every ship departing causes the lines to lose money.

9 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Are they skeptical about the timing or its ability to stop the pandemic?

Availability of the vaccine more than the ability of it to work.  95% effective is pretty darn good!

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

So, not all under CDC purview.

Provide your source that all cruises, no matter the length or embarkation port are cancelled until the end of March. What I've seen is cruises over 7 days. 

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Provide your source that all cruises, no matter the length or embarkation port are cancelled until the end of March. What I've seen is cruises over 7 days. 

First, you do realize I'm talking about Princess -- which is the subject of this thread -- and not all cruise lines?

As stated in the first post Princess (and now HAL) have cancelled ALL cruises through March 31. Easily verified here:

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

and 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

First, you do realize I'm talking about Princess -- which is the subject of this thread -- and not all cruise lines?

As stated in the first post Princess (and now HAL) have cancelled ALL cruises through March 31. Easily verified here:

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

and 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

Yes I do! Thank you for posting the links. Exactly what I was asking you for.

Edited by davekathy

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes. I see 8 days or longer from what was originally posted and what you posted. Not ALL cruises! Easily verified by what you provided. 

EDITED TO NOTE: OP went back and edited their response after I already posted this further clarification...Since I can't delete the post I may as well leave it in case anyone else is looking for clarification.

I think you may be reading it incorrectly. Basically they are saying that there are 3 categories of cruises that are canceled. The first group includes all cruises through March 31. The others are specific categories of cruises that will still not go after resumption of cruising in April. I don't know how their wording could be more clear, but if you go to the Princess board, you will see it has been confirmed quite clearly in a thread titled:  Princess Suspends Operations Until 3/31/21.  Which, I think, is clear enough...

And this news release from Carnival Corp also says quite clearly:  

Princess Cruises Extends Pause of Global Ship Operations into 2021

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Nov. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) "Framework for Conditional Sailing Order" pertaining to resumption of U.S. cruise operations, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in global operations to allow time for the estimated preparation needed for completing required activities prior to sailing and taking into consideration the temporary seven-day cap on itineraries that call at a U.S. port. 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-extends-pause-global-ship-operations-2021

And if you still don't believe it, then I envy you your rose-colored glasses.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you may be reading it incorrectly. Basically they are saying that there are 3 categories of cruises that are canceled. The first group includes all cruises through March 31. The others are specific categories of cruises that will still not go after resumption of cruising in April. I don't know how their wording could be more clear, but if you go to the Princess board, you will see it has been confirmed quite clearly in a thread titled:  Princess Suspends Operations Until 3/31/21.  Which, I think, is clear enough...

And this news release from Carnival Corp also says quite clearly:  

Princess Cruises Extends Pause of Global Ship Operations into 2021

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Nov. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) "Framework for Conditional Sailing Order" pertaining to resumption of U.S. cruise operations, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in global operations to allow time for the estimated preparation needed for completing required activities prior to sailing and taking into consideration the temporary seven-day cap on itineraries that call at a U.S. port. 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-extends-pause-global-ship-operations-2021

And if you still don't believe it, then I envy you your rose-colored glasses.

I edited my reply as I do believe it and I did misread it. As you should. 😍

Edited by davekathy

7 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

But, remember you can’t say that on cc. Too many skeptics. There are plans in place to start vaccinations in my home town in late Dec.

Perhaps for the first group of front line health workers - but to actually get final approval, and distribution, plus sufficient supply for any wider group is going to take a lot more than four weeks from now.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps for the first group of front line health workers - but to actually get final approval, and distribution, plus sufficient supply for any wider group is going to take a lot more than four weeks from now.  

I believe I did say start. But this institution has the capacity and supply to vaccinate anyone who wants it in a very short amount of time. As long as some government official doesn’t make stupid rules of who can receive it and when.

• Like 1

On November 12, Windstar announced cancelation of all cruises until late March. Resumption of cruising varies by ship/region:

Wind Spirit – March 25, 2021 – Tahiti
Star Breeze – March 27, 2021 – Caribbean
Star Legend – April 7, 2021 – Mediterranean
Wind Star – April 13, 2021 – Mediterranean
Wind Surf – April 24, 2021 – Mediterranean
Star Pride – July 6, 2021 – Northern Europe*

I wouldn't be surprised to see more lines announcing cancellations. Late March or April is perhaps because that's the earliest that vaccines might be available enough for people to take before traveling. 

Almost all the Windstar US departures before Oct 2021 now say call for availability. They haven't announced why but it seems likely because they are considering how to deal with current CDC policy.

*The July date for Star Pride may be due to the renovation that is underway on it. I don't recall when it was supposed to be ready to resume sailing prior to the latest announcement and the canceled cruises have been removed from the website.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I believe I did say start. But this institution has the capacity and supply to vaccinate anyone who wants it in a very short amount of time. As long as some government official doesn’t make stupid rules of who can receive it and when.

What “institution” has a supply - of a vaccine which has not yet been approved - much less distributed?