The Daily for Sunday Nov 22, 2020

richwmn

today is Go For a Ride Day, Humane Society Anniversary, and Mother Goose Parade Day

The intelligence of any discussion diminishes with the square of the number of participants.
        -- Adam Walinsky

Meal suggestion for today - Sweet Potato Kale Grilled Cheese

Drink of the Day - Tom Collins

Wine of the day - Pendulum Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley vintage 2016

Augusta Italy
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Brest France
Nieuw Statendam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1123Caribbean.png

1122Europe.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Going to get extra wordy today so I'll start with the "lists":

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Stressed out and overwhelmed medical workers

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Mayors who take needed actions in vacuums created by Premiers/Governors

Declining numbers for BC

virtual spaghetti dinners

recovery for St.LouisCrioser’s family

Happy Birthday 1angelcat

and walking trails in large, uncrowded parks

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Since retiring I've tried to make a commitment not to use my car one day a week and it usually works best on Sundays, so I'll pass on Go For a Ride Day.  I'd love to see a Mother Goose Parade, and we need the Humane Society more than ever.  I feel I remember where I was when I heard JFK was shot but memory does change over 57 years.  I first heard of the shooting via gossip and was parked by the TV in my dorm when the word came that he had died.  I picture it as my freshman year in college but I was actually a junior then.  I love the quote but will be adding a couple of alternatives this Sunday.  I love grilled cheese (will have it for lunch but am skeptical of adding sweet potato and kale.

I’m going to get extra verbose today and add a couple of alternative quotes.  It is not my intention to proselytize, but to share a couple of my perspectives  The first is my (Methodist) Bishop, LaTrelle Easterling of my Baltimore-Washington Conference.  The second is by a strange character sometimes known as rafinmd:

“The work of the followers of Jesus Christ has been, is, and always be essential. ,,,.  Likewise, our churches, which at their core are comprised of people and not buildings, have never closed.  We have gathered in new and different ways, but we have never closed”

and

"I follow a Savior who preached that the Prime Commandment is Love Your God with Your Whole Heart and Love your neighbor as yourself.  I don't think loving my neighbor as myself means exposing them to a deadly disease"

My alternative menu suggestion will be a bit different.  It is inspired by the Crystal half of my 2013 Crystal-Prinsendam combination.  On November 22 we were at Key West (The photo is from an Empress of the Seas cruise but I was also in Key West on the Ryndam and Maasdam).  It’s authentic Key Lime Pie, from Kermits.

Roy

IMG_7128.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We'll have a quiet Sunday, so no parades and no rides.  We love the humane society.

The quote is truthful, and thoughtful.

Thanks for the maps.

I'll pass on today's meal suggestion, but I do enjoy a Tom Collins on a cruise.  I'm looking forward to reading about the wine.

Prayers to everyone on the Care List - and everyone else too.

Cheers to everyone celebrating.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 12

Good Sunday morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our safety place in today's scary world.

I think we will take a ride to the shore today, staying away from anybody.  Love the Humane Society and Mother Goose.  Will skip the menu, love grilled cheese strongly dislike kale.

Prayers for our list and will toast the celebrations list tonight.  Sadness over the cruises being cancelled that took so long to plan.  But we will cruise again.

Tom Collins:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Old Tom Gin, MORE
Preparation: Mix the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup in a tall glass with ice, top up with soda water, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Maraschino cherry
Drinkware: Collins glass

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! You must have been up before the birds today!  
What a wonderful combo of days!  The Humane Society’s role is even more important this year! Not sure how Bindi would react to a Mother Goose parade, but she would love to go for a ride!

Roy thank you for keeping our lists!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. I was a bit young to fully comprehend the events of November 22, 1963, but I will always remember the principal of my school coming in to make the announcement to my class. It is the only time I ever saw a nun cry. Fittingly, it is a gray & murky day here in East-Central Florida.

The meal sounds nummy & somewhat healthy! Great quote. I will pass on the drink. 

Prayers for all who need our support.

Cheers for all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

This Columbia Valley, WA Cabernet Sauvignon has great ratings & online prices starting at $13.99! Not bad for a “sleek” wine!

#82 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Alluring aromatics of black pepper, charred oak, and dark berries introduce notes of van cherry, red apple, and sweet fresh tobacco on the palate. Medium-bodied and balanced with a supple tannic structure.

Pair with grilled meats, vegetables, or simply enjoy by the glass.

Blend: 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Petite Verdot, 2% Malbec

90 - Wine Spectator: Sleek and well-defined, with expressive black cherry and savory spice flavors that finish with polished tannins. Drink now through 2023.

• Like 15

Thanks for the daily Rich.  We are taking a ride to a park near us so we can get out and walk (we have not gotten any exercise in the last two weeks! ) We do need the humane society.   I will pass on a mother goose parade.  I will pass on the menu suggestion as we are having pot roast for dinner today.

I usually make my contribution with something from history, but Roy beat me to it today.  This was and is sad to remember.  I was 9 when  president Kennedy was murdered.  I not only remember where I was, but the sound of one of our teachers crying, the smell of the chalk board near where I stood and how the light filtered into the classroom as our principal announced it.  It is my most vivid memory of my childhood.  

Roy, I think I will need some more prayers, both of our children called yesterday.  Both our son and his family are sick.  So far only my daughter is sick in her family.  She has an appt. to be tested tomorrow.  Son didn't say when they would be tested he probably needs to call tomorrow. I do feel bad as we are so far away (we live in Florida and they live in Maryland)  we can't help them.  They are worried about us as son said "because we are older"!!!   Gee thanks!   Hahaha!  

I am sending prayers to all who need them and a big shout out to our celebration list.  I am hoping this week will bring everyone some good news as we head into Thanksgiving.

Have a great day.

Helen

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Sunday morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our safety place in today's scary world.

I think we will take a ride to the shore today, staying away from anybody.  Love the Humane Society and Mother Goose.  Will skip the menu, love grilled cheese strongly dislike kale.

Prayers for our list and will toast the celebrations list tonight.  Sadness over the cruises being cancelled that took so long to plan.  But we will cruise again.

Tom Collins:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Old Tom Gin, MORE
Preparation: Mix the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup in a tall glass with ice, top up with soda water, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Maraschino cherry
Drinkware: Collins glass

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

One of my favorite drinks but for some reason I find it hard to get a good one.  I find G&T much harder to screw up.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Surprised that Rich posted so early as I was convinced he would be hung over after his beloved Georgia Dawgs pulled out a victory last night.  Congrats...

It is my understanding that one has to drink to excess in order to have a hangover. Since I don't drink to excess, that is not a problem tho the game finished rather late last night. Congrats to your team as well.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I would love to see a Mother Goose Parade; it would mean all this virus worry has passed and we could once again gather in groups without fear.  We went for a ride yesterday to deliver a curtain I'd made for my SIL, stopped at a drive-thru for coffee and came home.  That'll be our entertainment for the week, I'm sure.

Happy Birthday to @1ANGELCAT; I hope you have a great day today.

@Hflorswill start the prayers going for your children and their families - let's hope their symptoms are minimal and brief.

I think most adults can remember exactly what they were doing at the time they heard the news of the assassination of President Kennedy.  I remember the details right down to what I was wearing.  Trauma can do that to people.

I like the meal suggestion today, but would leave out the sweet potato and kale.  We haven't had grilled cheese in a while, so I think that might be on the menu tonight with the addition of crispy bacon inserted in the sandwich before grilling.  Just for old time's sake, we may have it with tomato soup - a throwback to childhood.  And wine.  (For adulthood)

Prayers to everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses tonight for all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 19

Well crumbs! I lost my post. One minute it was here... and poof!

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. Thank you for your contributions. It is so much fun to look forward to the Daily.

Happy Birthday to 1Angelcat. Have a blessed day!

Rich thank you for starting our show every day. You were kind enough to change the Fleet Report to the Daily and all of a sudden we have a parade of folks chatting and sharing their lives.

Roy you are truly a great writer. You must have traveled a million miles and taken a million pictures. I always look forward to your postings. Thank you for your beautiful quotes this morning as well.

Denise and Ann, my dear sisters. Ann, I always look for sweet fresh tobacco in my wine.. Deeni do you have sweet Paisley this weekend? I love you girls.. Love to sweet Bindi too.

Wishing everyone a wonderful, peaceful, day. I am thankful for our dose of daily.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  Some good days to celebrate.  I can't wait to celebrate “end of Covid 19 day”. Thinking about JFK and where I was when I heard the news.  I too will pass on the meal suggestion for today.  It's beef short ribs slow cooked, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots.  DH is the chef today.  Thank goodness I got my outside decoration done Friday and yesterday as right now it is wet snowing.  Thanks to Rich for rising early to get the daily thread posted and to Roy who follows him .  A day without reading the daily is a sad day indeed!  My best to all.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Hflors said:

T I think I will need some more prayers, both of our children called yesterday.  Both our son and his family are sick.  So far only my daughter is sick in her family.  She has an appt. to be tested tomorrow.  Son didn't say when they would be tested he probably needs to call tomorrow. I do feel bad as we are so far away (we live in Florida and they live in Maryland)  we can't help them.  They are worried about us as son said "because we are older"!!!   Gee thanks!   

Helen

Helen, prayers are winging their way!

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is the last from my 2012 Superstorn Sandy Cruise.  I disembarked the Crystal Symphony in Los Angeles November 18 and November 22 boarded my last train home from Chicago.  The photo was taken from the Lake Michigan shore.

dawn22a.jpg

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1