The Daily for Sunday Nov 22, 2020

richwmn

I am late to the party today. Went to play golf with my son. It was overcast and occasional rain so we pretty much had the course to ourselves!  He is 35 but still likes to play golf with his MOM.  Lucky me!

I still remember the day that President Kennedy was shot. It was the first and only time I saw the nuns crying.  

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I love the quote from your bishop!  So true!  And from rafin! If only people would look at the essence of what is important!  Also, DH is wondering why the key lime is purple?  

Thank you.  I think the pie had a little extra zest of one of my other favorites, they had a blueberry key lime pie.  I don't see it on their web site now but they do have strawberry flavor.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for continuing to keep this such a positive place.  Love all the kind thoughts for one another, the beautiful pictures, and all the "cute/funny" thoughts on our current situations!

Well, everyone has a way of making me feel old!  I was just out of college and working for the telephone company.  We had gone out of the building for lunch on that fateful Friday.  We knew the President had been shot, and when we were walking back to work, the flags started going down on all the tall buildings in Denver!  What a sobering sight, and brought reality to this 21-year old!

@Hflorssending healing thoughts for you and your family.  Yes, I agree that I hope that they only have the "flu"

Prayers for all on the care list.  I'll raise a glass to those celebrating!

Have a great rest of the day.  (Since it is a quiet day, I am starting to work on Christmas cards!)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have had a busy morning .  Thus I am a tad tarty in posting.  I am sad that the crusing is paused to late March. The "30 day Pause" i into its second year and this sad. 

Rich Thanks for the Fleet report. To my fellow readrs of the DAILY, thank you for your contributions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy and everyone for their thoughts for the day.  I think everyone remembers where they were on days like today.  Although Pat had to remind me what happened today!  It will be our 58th wedding anniversary on Tuesday, so I was thinking more about that.  We won't be going out for dinner, as we usually do, so I must plan something special.  He has already planned the wine!

Ann! How wonderful for you & Pat - 58 years!

• Like 6

Talk about making me feel old.  I was 22 and was out hanging diapers, (expecting my 3rd child in Feb.) when my next door neighbor yelled out her window to me to get in the house and turn on my tv. RIGHT NOW. She didn't say why so I was shocked, felt devastated, when I turned on the tv. and saw Walter Cronkite announcing that President Kennedy had been shot.

• Like 8

57 years ago I was a sophomore in college waiting for the campus shuttle bus. As I joined the line - someone ahead of me said - you hear Kennedy's been shot? You know college students - do you believe them? Just then the bus pulled up and the bus driver had his little transistor radio on - you could have heard a pin drop after that. Classes were dismissed, we were in pre-exam weeks.

• Like 7

Greetings to everyone tonight.  I was in 5th grade when President Kennedy was shot.   We had TVs in the classrooms, so we turned it on and watched until it was announced that he had died.  We were also dismissed early from school that day.   I remember I was home when they were moving Lee Oswald from the Dallas jail and watched Jack Ruby shoot him.  Quite a bit for a 10 year old.  

Shortly after that I learned that a friend I had had when we lived in Texas also died on November 22nd of leukemia.   

Happy Birthday to Angelcat.   Prayers for Hflors family and Happy Anniversary to Pat and Ann.   I hope I didn't leave anyone out of the celebration list.  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy and everyone for their thoughts for the day.  I think everyone remembers where they were on days like today.  Although Pat had to remind me what happened today!  It will be our 58th wedding anniversary on Tuesday, so I was thinking more about that.  We won't be going out for dinner, as we usually do, so I must plan something special.  He has already planned the wine!

image.thumb.jpeg.4ced6671da72812b0f511e846bde0108.jpeg
🌺I apologize for not sending out this card to you and Pat sooner!

What a special day ! 58 years is wonderful! I put a split of champagne in fridge so we will give a toast to both of you!

❤️CONGRATULATIONS 

Denise😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Spelling error
  • Like 6

So much to read on this thread!  Happy Birthday to @1ANGELCAT, and special wishes and prayers for all on the care and celebrations list.  We finished up the Christmas cards today, but I think will put off mailing them for a bit.  Also all the Christmas lights are still sitting in the dining room, waiting for the rain to stop.  

Thanks you for the pretty card, Denise!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday, Everyone!

15 hours ago, rafinmd said:

“The work of the followers of Jesus Christ has been, is, and always be essential. ,,,.  Likewise, our churches, which at their core are comprised of people and not buildings, have never closed.  We have gathered in new and different ways, but we have never closed”

and

"I follow a Savior who preached that the Prime Commandment is Love Your God with Your Whole Heart and Love your neighbor as yourself.  I don't think loving my neighbor as myself means exposing them to a deadly disease"

Roy, both of these quotes are what I've believed from the beginning of this pandemic. Thank you.

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Have a great rest of the day.  (Since it is a quiet day, I am starting to work on Christmas cards!)

I started mine earlier this week, but got stuck because I didn't have any Santa cards for the kids. I've picked them up, so finishing up the first batch is on my list for tomorrow. That and picking up a Canada Post box to send DD and her SO's gifts to them in Newfoundland.

I was just shy of my 10th birthday 57 years ago. The principal fed the radio into the classroom (grade6). I remember watching the funeral on tv a few days later. Even in Canada, the event hit hard.

Today started with snow, and it sure was tricky driving to church. When I got home, DH and I shoveled the driveway, and with a concentrated effort, I counted a 12 minute workout. It helped that DS's truck was in the driveway.

Our online silent auction is over but for getting people to pick up their winnings and pay up. We did even better than we did two years ago, with half as many items. It was an effort to do, but definitely worth the time that I've spent so far.

Here's to a great week everyone. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 5