New vaccine

hollyjess

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyone else's dates moved forward on the Omni calculator ? :classic_unsure:

Mine has moved to 1st to the 5th February, but do not see it happening so soon as they still seem to be doing care homes and over 80's locally, unless get called to one of two mass hub's which are both an hour's drive away, yet only about 20 miles from each other.  The hubs all seem to be coming up in the same areas so I do wonder how their locations were chosen, seems to make no sense to me, but we would travel is need to do so.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

This calculator - it’s based on estimates of vaccination rollout, fair enough. But isn’t it still just a guessing game which depends very much on your own location? Or indeed your own registered GP practice?

The variations in this area alone, even within a few miles, are pretty substantial.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This calculator - it’s based on estimates of vaccination rollout, fair enough. But isn’t it still just a guessing game which depends very much on your own location? Or indeed your own registered GP practice?

The variations in this area alone, even within a few miles, are pretty substantial.

It is the same here one area is jabbing 70+ whereas another hasn't finished 80+. So it is only an estimate, we will get our turn soon.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is the same here one area is jabbing 70+ whereas another hasn't finished 80+. So it is only an estimate, we will get our turn soon.

I'm quite content for the jabbers to work through their lists. They will get to us soon, no doubt. If I rant and rave, I wonder if they will get to us sooner?🤔

• Like 2

My GP has  put an update on their website. Over 80’s are still being ‘done’, and then they will call the 75-79 group ‘soon’.

About 9 GP practices, including mine have grouped together to do the vaccinations at a local health centre. I sometimes walk past the health centre, and it seems very quiet - there’s no outward sign of  vaccinations going on. As far as I know there are no mass vaccination hubs set up in Kent, so it seems a bit on the slow side round here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My GP has  put an update on their website. Over 80’s are still being ‘done’, and then they will call the 75-79 group ‘soon’.

About 9 GP practices, including mine have grouped together to do the vaccinations at a local health centre. I sometimes walk past the health centre, and it seems very quiet - there’s no outward sign of  vaccinations going on. As far as I know there are no mass vaccination hubs set up in Kent, so it seems a bit on the slow side round here. 

Similar situation here, with several practices combining resources in a large centre. Excellent feedback from people (over 80) who've gone, and they're currently calling up the over 75s. Pfizer vaccine at the moment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Are they not jabbing 80 year olds?😉😁

Both Pauline and I had our 1st jabs this afternoon at a local Boots. It was very well organised we were in and out in about 30 minutes, including a 15 min wait after the jabs because I was driving.

It was the AZ vaccine and we were given the oft mentioned little card with the Bx data and the date of vaccination, and space for the 2nd jab data.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, kalos said:

What I did not like is some " no show up's " jabs being offered to the practices friends and buddy's being given the jab rather than have someone entitled on standby .

The main problem is the lack of notice they can give, as it isn't until close to the end of the day that they will know how many are likely to be spare.

When using Pfizer our local centre phones patients from about midday asking if they can come in that afternoon, and when they can then extra paperwork is done at the vaccination centre so that it is recorded properly. However when they can't find enough patients, then the surplus vaccine is offered to the volunteers helping to run the centre at that time (usually only in the last half hour of the day).   With the Pfizer vaccine they know how many doses have been defrosted for the day; so know the extra numbers needed whenever there are misses early in the day.

However with the Astrazenica vaccine they only have to completely finish any vial (8 or 10 doses) that has been started (any unjabbed vials are fine staying in the fridge for another day), so they don't know until very late how many doses will be surplus. So it is a question of finding people who can get to the centre in the next FEW minutes.

Edited by terry2
spelling correction
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Both Pauline and I had our 1st jabs this afternoon at a local Boots. It was very well organised we were in and out in about 30 minutes, including a 15 min wait after the jabs because I was driving.

It was the AZ vaccine and we were given the oft mentioned little card with the Bx data and the date of vaccination, and space for the 2nd jab data.

Nice one John  ,hope you and Pauline are both side effect free . Onwards and upwards :classic_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

In our area they have done fantastic and today the local Nightingale hospital has also  been opened as a vaccination hub.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Good news John.

I hope neither of you experience any side effects.

3 hours ago, kalos said:

No from what I read it was simply buddies looking after buddies all above board but my point is they could have a reserve list for those entitled . I once was on a operation list that was a couple of months away and was asked would I go onto a standby list , I was done and dusted inside two weeks, so it is not like the system would be new to them . Apart from that I am not privy to the workings of the NHS so my only option is to be patient . They will sort us all out in time .:classic_smile:

Actually your wrong in saying buddies looking after buddies if the people on the reserve list cannot get there on time or cannot be contacted should they let the jab go to waste, I had a jab because I was 5 mins away from the centre which was closing and they had some left.

28 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Actually your wrong in saying buddies looking after buddies if the people on the reserve list cannot get there on time or cannot be contacted should they let the jab go to waste, I had a jab because I was 5 mins away from the centre which was closing and they had some left.

I would rather see any random person passing the centre get the vaccine rather than it going to waste. That said there must be a way to ensure that the doses go to those in the priority groups, it just requires better planning.

How did they happen to have your contact details? 

41 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Best tell the NHS , they are the ones investigating it .

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nhs-investigate-claims-covid-vaccine-19692827

Could be fake news and as I put in an earlier post if and that is if true then it is so wrong  but I would rather anyone get it rather than waste it .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would rather see any random person passing the centre get the vaccine rather than it going to waste. That said there must be a way to ensure that the doses go to those in the priority groups, it just requires better planning.

How did they happen to have your contact details? 

I imagine most of the leftover vaccines are from missed appointments. They are also able to get a 6th dose from some vials but they can't guarantee that. They wouldn't want to overbook and then have to tell people they've run out when they arrive for their appointment, so it's inevitable that there'll be some leftover. Some of these "spare" doses might only be known for certain an hour or two before they finish. So you want people on standby that can jump in a car and dash to a vaccine centre. Whilst I wouldn't want to pigeon hole people over 70, I imagine a lot would rather not have a phone call with an hours notice. So it does sort of make sense to be able to call on friends and family of NHS workers that might be more able to get there fast. I am biased though, as I'm on the friends and family list before it got paused. I absolutely don't want to jump the queue but if a dose would otherwise go in the bin, get it in me! 

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Whilst I wouldn't want to pigeon hole people over 70, I imagine a lot would rather not have a phone call with an hours notice.

I think you are very wrong in that supposition.

Also the full priority list extends to those over 50 and those below who have underlying health conditions. Lots of folks with cars who could turn up quickly if called.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I had a jab because I was 5 mins away from the centre which was closing and they had some left.

I live approx 3 minutes away  (walking quickly)and know they have destroyed doses due to ntu's 

how do you get on a list?

Were you on a list?

• Like 1