New vaccine

hollyjess

I've just seen the Ortho doc about my knee.  After many tests,, he pronounced all ligaments are good, no torn meniscus.  Just a severe bone bruise just below the kneecap.  thankfully today I can walk normally, although not very far, climb up and down stairs OK.  It's been bloody awful, but quite relieved it's not a ligament.  poor old soul!!  Might help if I stopped tripping up, due to back surgery some years ago, giving me a slight foot drop. 

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I've just seen the Ortho doc about my knee.  After many tests,, he pronounced all ligaments are good, no torn meniscus.  Just a severe bone bruise just below the kneecap.  thankfully today I can walk normally, although not very far, climb up and down stairs OK.  It's been bloody awful, but quite relieved it's not a ligament.  poor old soul!!  Might help if I stopped tripping up, due to back surgery some years ago, giving me a slight foot drop. 

That's great news you have not torn any ligaments and hopefully with regular exercise you will regain full movement and get back to normal.

I am age 73 and so am towards the front of the queue for vacination. I intend to take it. Whilst I have cruises booked for 2021 however, rearrangements of those booked and cancelled, I will not be booking any more unless and until some resemblance of normality returns to life onboard. I want a holiday not an ordeal.

• Like 4

we will both be having it (both 63) so will have to wait.

We have booked for May so hopefully will be all done before then.

Anyone got thoughts on whether the P&O or any others will say you have to have had the vaccine (Certainly in the short term) before you can cruise.

I'm 73, Frank 75 and we will be front and centre when our turn comes for the vaccine. We both have some underlying health conditions, but not as bad as many. I'll admit that we have a couple of cruises booked for 2021, June and October, but the main reason is that we just want to live again. We have been in a state of limbo for over 9 months now and just existing from day to day. It's time to safely step out into the world again and be thankful for the efforts of the wonderful scientists. I'll willingly be a guinea pig, because I'm sick of being a hibernating bear.

Avril

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I am 74, wife is 62. We will both have it ASAP. Hope to cruise in August 2021 and Feb 2022 (Iona)

Stay safe everyone and so pleased you are recovering Graham.

Thanks I appreciate your post bobstheboy.

Graham.

2 hours ago, hollyjess said:

In reply to post regarding whether P.O. will want all passengers vaccinated. I think they will require proof of vaccination otherwise no point if some passengers are not protected and could take the virus onboard.

But, at present, it appears the vaccine only stops the effects of CV19,  so even if you have been vaccinated you can still take the virus onboard. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

But, at present, it appears the vaccine only stops the effects of CV19,  so even if you have been vaccinated you can still take the virus onboard. 

Correct and no way can i see vaccination being a condition of travel at least to lower risk groups which we are both in for a virus that the vast majority easily get over without issue.

Edited by Chrisdriving

6 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Correct and no way can i see vaccination being a condition of travel at least to lower risk groups which we are both in for a virus that the vast majority easily get over without issue.

That vast majority does not include the high risk part of the population that has a large increased risk of a bad outcome but form a high percentage of cruise passengers. Ignore that group and you can continue scrapping ships and cancelling new builds.

Of course younger age groups need a vaccination to cruise if can be proved that vaccines reduce the risk of you infecting others.

Saga has a commercial advantage here, you have to be over 55? to get on the ship 😁

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

So the Oxford vaccine results are out - 70% effective 😟

Then they report that part of the test group were given a half dose followed by a full dose rather than two full doses. This group indicated a 90% effectiveness 😕

Even at 70% it has the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine, and let's be honest, no vaccine is 100%. So 90% is good news I would have thought.

Avril

• Like 4

Yes I agree, even 70% is good but I worry about how the press report it and that people will insist on having the 'best' vaccine or they won't have one at all. The gov have ordered 50 million doses of the 95% vaccines, enough for everyone aged 60 and over plus high risk groups etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Even at 70% it has the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine, and let's be honest, no vaccine is 100%. So 90% is good news I would have thought.

Avril

Just found this on another forum

• One dosing regimen was shown to be 90% effective, the other 62%

• It was shown to work in different age groups, including the elderly

• The vaccine can be stored, transported and handled at 2-8 degrees Celsius for at least eight months

So the 70% effectiveness was an average. with the 90% effectiveness our 100 million ordered doses should be enough for 66 million million people rather than 50 million, we can vaccinate everybody, including your budgie 😁

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes I agree, even 70% is good but I worry about how the press report it and that people will insist on having the 'best' vaccine or they won't have one at all. The gov have ordered 50 million doses of the 95% vaccines, enough for everyone aged 60 and over plus high risk groups etc.

One of the biggest and most dangerous things all through this pandemic has been the media. Each one covers the same stories and comes up with their own version of the truth depending on their political colour. They will edit interviews and pictures to suit their own agenda. Bad news sells. I prefer to go straight to the horse's mouth and listen to the briefings.

Avril

• Like 6