New vaccine

hollyjess

26 minutes ago, zap99 said:

France are reported to have a large proportion of the AZ vaccine unused. I think President Macron has changed his tune now the infection rate and deaths are accelerating.

23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

There was totally empty vaccine centres in Belgium on the BBC news the other day because everyone is refusing AZ vaccine and said they will wait for others.

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Same story in Germany.

Very strange people these Europeans, they will happily accept a flu vaccine with 40 or 50% efficacy, but refuse a covid vaccine with 70% efficacy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Very strange people these Europeans, they will happily accept a flu vaccine with 40 or 50% efficacy, but refuse a covid vaccine with 70% efficacy. 

It didn't exactly help when M&M told people it was ineffective and refused to give it to the people that needed it most. That was after the kerfuffle they caused us and NI and threatened AZ because they were not supplying it quick enough. If they don't want it send it somewhere else, I am sure there will be plenty of people grateful for it.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

It didn't exactly help when M&M told people it was ineffective and refused to give it to the people that needed it most. That was after the kerfuffle they caused us and NI and threatened AZ because they were not supplying it quick enough. If they don't want it send it somewhere else, I am sure there will be plenty of people grateful for it.

The vaccine scepticism in France where out the outset only 40% said they would take, since risen to 55% is down to distrust of pharmaceutical companies and an expensive over ordering of swine flu vaccine in in 2009.

Since 1980s there have been 4 medical related scandals, which has dented trust in vaccines & medication, in one case a numbers of people died due to contamination of blood products, a number of people were charged with manslaughter. It is more the younger generation that are the sceptics.

However it does seem that the older generation are having the vaccine with over 2m having received the first dose and 1.7m the second, France are sticking to the guidelines as are much of Europe and giving doses 3 to 4=weeks apart. 

The U.K. has an advantage with its centralised NHS system being able to organise the vaccine rollout, other countries with a more privatised system seem to finding it more difficult to organise deployment. 

Good Morning Everyone.

Just a quick update from vaccine city: all deliveries were made and yesterday was a very good day but also a bit of a heartbreaker.  As well as the age-invited patients we also vaccinated many much younger people with severe mental health problems who had been brought in from local care homes. Most were on a scale of very frightened to screamingly terrified. It was so sad to see and made me realise, not for the first time, how lucky I am to have a happy, healthy family. 

All of these patients were successfully vaccinated with a lot of fuss, time, stickers, and with the help of some magnificent carers who were outstanding in the care of their charges - another group of lowly paid and much underrated people who often go unnoticed. A big thanks to them all today.

Hope you are all safe and well today and special best wishes again to Jean for her recovery. Jane.x

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Just a quick update from vaccine city: all deliveries were made and yesterday was a very good day but also a bit of a heartbreaker.  As well as the age-invited patients we also vaccinated many much younger people with severe mental health problems who had been brought in from local care homes. Most were on a scale of very frightened to screamingly terrified. It was so sad to see and made me realise, not for the first time, how lucky I am to have a happy, healthy family. 

All of these patients were successfully vaccinated with a lot of fuss, time, stickers, and with the help of some magnificent carers who were outstanding in the care of their charges - another group of lowly paid and much underrated people who often go unnoticed. A big thanks to them all today.

Hope you are all safe and well today and special best wishes again to Jean for her recovery. Jane.x

Jane, you and the rest of the NHS workers are doing a magnificent job as are the carers of the older people and those with mental health problems.  It is great news that you have had your vaccine deliveries so that you can carry on working to beat this virus.  We all owe a big thanks to all of you.

Stay safe.

Josy

• Like 11

Update from Norfolk. Very sad to say that we've had no vaccine over the weekend, and in fact we don't get any until Tuesday..Staff are ready to go but nothing to jab with. Last week we were doing the over 80's second jab. Lovely to see returning faces. Also, returning NHS seconds.  Our hub are only  using  Pfizer at the moment but  hopefully we will get some Oxford/AZ soon. However, we were the only vaccination hub in a large area but other centres have since opened, so maybe that's why we we have to share?

Anyway, weekend off,so more decorating here we come!!!!🤬😜

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Update from Norfolk. Very sad to say that we've had no vaccine over the weekend, and in fact we don't get any until Tuesday..Staff are ready to go but nothing to jab with. Last week we were doing the over 80's second jab. Lovely to see returning faces. Also, returning NHS seconds.  Our hub are only  using  Pfizer at the moment but  hopefully we will get some Oxford/AZ soon. However, we were the only vaccination hub in a large area but other centres have since opened, so maybe that's why we we have to share?

It must vary from area to area - my daughter had hers yesterday at a GP hub just west of Norwich.

Enjoy the decorating.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Jane, you and the rest of the NHS workers are doing a magnificent job as are the carers of the older people and those with mental health problems.  It is great news that you have had your vaccine deliveries so that you can carry on working to beat this virus.  We all owe a big thanks to all of you.

Stay safe.

Josy

I echo what Josy says. Thank you Jane

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Thank you for all your hard work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

60+ can now book a vaccine on the nhs booking site. I just tried it but I didn't book as I am part of the Jansen vaccine trial and need to get unblinded, so I will know if I had the vaccine or the placebo. 

Cathy

If my experience of being unblinded from the Novavax trial is anything to go by, it should not be a problem for you. They may ask for another blood sample, dependent on when they last took one, but as my invitation to be vaccinated came a couple of days after I had given a blood sample, there was no point them asking for another one. 

3 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

So sorry to hear this. I belive Lincslady is in a similar area of very little vaccine. The distribution is so hit and miss at the moment and, sadly, just miss for some. I do hope things improve for you soon. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pete14 said:

If my experience of being unblinded from the Novavax trial is anything to go by, it should not be a problem for you. They may ask for another blood sample, dependent on when they last took one, but as my invitation to be vaccinated came a couple of days after I had given a blood sample, there was no point them asking for another one. 

Hi 

Thanks, I had a blood test last week so fingers crossed I will find out tomorrow

Cathy

• Like 1

Jane - I don't  know whether the delay is due to lack of vaccine (maybe you do know), lack of vaccinators, long queue of people waiting, or a hitch in my booking.  Can't get hold of anyone on the phone today anyway to find out.

It is now the lack of finding out why so slow that is bothering me.  If I get news I will certainly broadcast it here!  It does get me a bit reading about the general brilliance of the rollout; I must try not to be so  concerned about it, and think of others.  The thread about lack of sleep does ring true here, though, and everything seems worse at 2 a .m., doesn't it.

• Like 4

my daughter  in laws surgery in Manchester seems to be vaccinating roughly once a week, they did another 1000 last Wednesday to use up a whole batch of Phizer in one go, she was sticking needles in people into the evening. Seems to be their way of doing it efficiently and quite fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Jane - I don't  know whether the delay is due to lack of vaccine (maybe you do know), lack of vaccinators, long queue of people waiting, or a hitch in my booking.  Can't get hold of anyone on the phone today anyway to find out.

It is now the lack of finding out why so slow that is bothering me.  If I get news I will certainly broadcast it here!  It does get me a bit reading about the general brilliance of the rollout; I must try not to be so  concerned about it, and think of others.  The thread about lack of sleep does ring true here, though, and everything seems worse at 2 a .m., doesn't it.

Hello Lincslady. I really feel for you and it must be galling to read about other areas' successes. To the best of my knowledge there is no lack of vaccine at all. It's the lumpiness of the distribution that holds things up. However, from what I remember of your past posts, there is no movement in your neck of the woods at all. Are there no hubs in your area? Is there no mass vaccination site yet? I think you've waited too long with no help or information. My advice would be to speak to your GP Practice Manager and if they can't help, ask for the contact number of the CCG your practice is part of, then contact them for some answers. Do let me know how you get on and if there's anything more I can do to help.

PS. Final question - do you live in a remote area or in the suburb of a bigger town/city? Sorry to interrogate you but I'm just thinking of ways I can find out on your behalf. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Jane for taking the time to give me your advice.

There is a vaccination Centre not far from here, now, and I wish I had tried to get my husband there, which would have been very difficult, rather than asking for a home visit!

I have got some irons in the fire regarding the local CCG,  and so I believe has the local MP's PA, at my request, so I need to give it  a few more days to see what transpires.  We do live in a village, 6 miles from the nearest town.  All I really need to know is the reason it  is taking so long; if there is a valid one I will obviously be prepared to wait without making any further fuss, providing that our telephone booking a fortnight ago actually got  on the list.  Hopefully better news shortly.

LL

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I see that the NHS vaccine booking site is now accepting bookings from those aged 60 or over.  Gradually getting there.

It has for the last 2 weeks for some of us, it is exactly 2 weeks since I booked. A bit of a mystery as to how a national NHS system can vary, I did wonder if it could be linked to post codes and because our area was ahead of the game and we have several large hubs close we were allowed to book? 

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thank you so much, Jane for taking the time to give me your advice.

There is a vaccination Centre not far from here, now, and I wish I had tried to get my husband there, which would have been very difficult, rather than asking for a home visit!

I have got some irons in the fire regarding the local CCG,  and so I believe has the local MP's PA, at my request, so I need to give it  a few more days to see what transpires.  We do live in a village, 6 miles from the nearest town.  All I really need to know is the reason it  is taking so long; if there is a valid one I will obviously be prepared to wait without making any further fuss, providing that our telephone booking a fortnight ago actually got  on the list.  Hopefully better news shortly.

LL

I sincerely hope this gets sorted out today - you have been quite patient enough!

As for a valid reason, if there is one someone needs to tell the politicians what it is, as they keep telling the rest of us that everyone in the most vulnerable groups who wanted the vaccination has had it.

Take care and I have everything crossed for you.🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It has for the last 2 weeks for some of us, it is exactly 2 weeks since I booked. A bit of a mystery as to how a national NHS system can vary, I did wonder if it could be linked to post codes and because our area was ahead of the game and we have several large hubs close we were allowed to book? 

It was definitely showing 64 and over yesterday at this end.  Mysterious indeed.  The main thing is we're getting there 😀

We got emails from Biobank this morning, asking if we would be prepared to take part in a study regarding antibodies which it is relevant to all whether vaccinated or not, so we have both registered.  They say they are asking all their participants, but have limited tests at present so will need to limit numbers when when they reach a certain level.

Great this sort of thing is being done and they have a lot of information for their participants already which can just be linked if required.  We did quite a wide range of health checks on a couple of occasions, along with regular online questionnaires and details of health records (past and future) are linked in.  Other studies various people have participated in for them are added.  We had full body scans and a number of other scans a few years ago for their research base and also things like wearing a movement monitor for a week.

Edited by tring
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, tring said:

We got emails from Biobank this morning, asking if we would be prepared to take part in a study regarding antibodies which it is relevant to all whether vaccinated or not, so we have both registered.  They say they are asking all their participants, but have limited tests at present so will need to limit numbers when when they reach a certain level.

Great this sort of thing is being done and they have a lot of information for their participants already which can just be linked if required.  We did quite a wide range of health checks on a couple of occasions, along with regular online questionnaires and details of health records (past and future).  Other studies various people have participated in for them are added.  We had full body scans and a number of other scans a few years ago for their research base and also things like wearing a movement monitor for a week.

Sounds like interesting and necessary research. I think there is a lot happening behind the scenes that should benefit us all eventually. 

• Like 4