New vaccine

hollyjess

I suppose the answer to "should I have the vaccine" is - are you prepared to die if you get it.  The flu does kill people each year, but not like this Covid.  I nearly died aged 5 from measles and I am amazed people don't give their kids a vaccination against this.  My young colleague at work has had no vaccinations of any kind because her mother didn't believe in them.  She's rather lucky most of the rest of the population are vaccinated against polio, measles and the like.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I suppose the answer to "should I have the vaccine" is - are you prepared to die if you get it.  The flu does kill people each year, but not like this Covid.  I nearly died aged 5 from measles and I am amazed people don't give their kids a vaccination against this.  My young colleague at work has had no vaccinations of any kind because her mother didn't believe in them.  She's rather lucky most of the rest of the population are vaccinated against polio, measles and the like.

Thats me born in the era the thalidemoid scandal was coming to light, my mother decided against having me and my sisters vaccinated for anything. Consequently as a child I had a lot of time off school with all the usual culprits, measles, chicken pox, mumps etc, i eventually chose to have the Rubella jab myself at senior school, now if theres a covid vaccine and it means i can go on a cruise again i'm having it, still waiting to be called for my flu jab Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Thats me born in the era the thalidemoid scandal was coming to light, my mother decided against having me and my sisters vaccinated for anything. Consequently as a child I had a lot of time off school with all the usual culprits, measles, chicken pox, mumps etc, i eventually chose to have the Rubella jab myself at senior school, now if theres a covid vaccine and it means i can go on a cruise again i'm having it, still waiting to be called for my flu jab Lol

Our family doctor stayed all day with me with measles.  I had a temperature that was off the scale, my lips were black.  My Mum thought I was a goner.  They gave me something called M&B which was the only thing available at the time.  2 days later, my mother called the doc and said "she wants baked beans on toast - what do I do".  He replied "well give it to her then!!"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pete14 said:

To look at it another way, at least he usually provides a direct and relevant answer to such trite questions. 

Not too direct I hope.  The question appears to be a great way for the PM to run the clock down on Question Period without having to respond to anything of serious interest to Britons.  I’m sure our Prime Minister would occasionally welcome opportunities to thank snow clearing crews for their service and efforts rather than talk about controversial arms sales, budget deficits, health care funding and the like.

• Like 3

I am definitely going to have the vaccine once offered. I understand that people might have reservations regarding the long term side effects but at my age I would rather have a life now than worrying about what might happen in the future. No one knows what the long term effects are regarding genetically modified vaccines ,and if I was 25 and  pregnant, I might  think twice but I  ain't!!! It might take 20years to discover any problems, by that time I'll be long gone, just hopefully not through Covid. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

The only childhood illnesses I have had are Rubella, three times and chickenpox.  My brothers had mumps and measles, but I didn't catch it. After having had Rubella, I had test with each pregancy saying I was immune to it, but still caught it again twice! 

15 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

The mention of Thalidomide always makes me shudder, as my mum was offered Thalidomide when she was pregnant with me. She refused the drug, something I’m very grateful for, but if she’d taken it, my life could have been very different.

Therefore, I do understand why parents made their choices when the scandal came to light. 

52 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Can you let me know where I can get a test in the UK for 100 Euros?

If you book with TUI you get a discount with their preferred tester. £120, discounted to , I think £89. That's about 100 euro. Boots will no doubt do them soon.🤣

13 minutes ago, purplesea said:

The only childhood illnesses I have had are Rubella, three times and chickenpox.  My brothers had mumps and measles, but I didn't catch it. After having had Rubella, I had test with each pregancy saying I was immune to it, but still caught it again twice! 

I had mumps and measles, both in infant’s school.

I was very ill with measles. I was off school for about a month. It was also over Christmas. I was going to be Mary in the school nativity play, but someone else had to step in at the last moment. 

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Our family doctor stayed all day with me with measles.  I had a temperature that was off the scale, my lips were black.  My Mum thought I was a goner.  They gave me something called M&B which was the only thing available at the time.  2 days later, my mother called the doc and said "she wants baked beans on toast - what do I do".  He replied "well give it to her then!!"

I was very lucky and only had chicken pox and mumps. I can still remember the awful pink gloop they gave you. Frank had measles which unfortunately left him deaf in one ear. The antivaxxers of today don't understand because they haven't lived through it. God forbid that our grandchildren  should see a resurgance of these diseases.

Avril

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you book with TUI you get a discount with their preferred tester. £120, discounted to , I think £89. That's about 100 euro. Boots will no doubt do them soon.🤣

Boots do do them through a partner at £120!

I won't touch TUI with a barge poll even if they gave me a holiday, but that's another story.

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I understand it is not a live virus in the vaccine.

Personally I will take the vaccine as soon as possible unless I still have covid19 antibodies in my system due to currently having covid19.

Wouldn't the vaccine give you double protection?

18 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

From reading other areas of the forum, I’ve noticed that  both Princess and Holland America have cancelled a fairly large chunk of 2021 cruises, and no cruises of longer than 7 nights will be allowed until November 2021 that visit USA ports.

So it looks like the cruise industry  may not return to any semblance of normality just yet. 

If that is the case our Aurora cruise to New York and back next September will not happen.  We have been wondering about that and feel that if it does not operate as normal we would prefer it was cancelled.

If it is to be cancelled, I wonder when P&O would cancel it?  Hope it would be before balance payment date.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Boots do do them through a partner at £120!

I won't touch TUI with a barge poll even if they gave me a holiday, but that's another story.

Until the virus struck, we have always been happy with TUI. They were poor dealing with refunds, but so were many others including P&O. We took a voucher with +20%. We rebooked a slightly longer holiday and an extra star. The problem is, if you want to fly from Gatwick and have a good selection of hotels and flights, you are stuck with TUI.

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think there is a big difference between taking a drug for morning sickness and having a vaccination.

How does anyone know what the vaccination will cost yet.  It's not even available?  Or have I missed something?

The price per dose is the the public domain. The Oxford vaccine, for example costs roughly £3, the Modena vaccine £25. But obviously the actual cost to the individual, if and when they are available privately, will be considerably greater.

• Like 1